Swiftech H240X3 Edge Prestige suitable for GPU?

Discussion in 'Extreme and Water Cooling' started by P00peyes, Mar 11, 2019.

1. P00peyes

P00peyes Member

2. juzz86

juzz86 Member

Yep, just plumb the GPU instead of the CPU and add a bit more coolant once your block has filled.

Not a bad option, I've returned two Swiftech AiO's because of leaking/cracked CPU blocks, the rest of their gear was good :thumbup:

3. OP
    OP
    P00peyes

P00peyes Member

That's what I wanted to hear. Thanks mate

juzz86 likes this.
  4. OP
    OP
    P00peyes

P00peyes Member

So I have this all set up and running now (after I had to return the cooling kit due to a faulty pump) and it seems to be running well.

I have a question though...

The GPU block doesn't quite fill all the way. There appears to be pockets of air trapped in the corners of the block and I can't get rid of them. No matter how long I leave the pump running.

Any tricks to fix this up?

My card sort of sits vertically due to the type of case that I have (Thermaltake The Tower) and I'm considering tipping it on its side to try and move the air pockets a little.

5. juzz86

juzz86 Member

Yep, the bubbles in the GPU block are often the last to come out. They will work out eventually, but can take a long time.

Changing orientation helps the most. You can also add a single drop of dishwashing detergent to reduce surface tension and give the water a better chance at filling the gaps quicker :thumbup:

6. OP
    OP
    P00peyes

P00peyes Member

Thanks for the advice. I'll proceed to carefully tilt the the PC in various directions to try and work out those air pockets.

Surprised about your comment regarding the dishwashing liquid though. I'd not heard of this before. I'll consider that as a last resort or at least look into it further.

It's proving to be quite the difficult loop to fill. This is my first GPU watercooling attempt and I've not encountered this with my previous custom CPU loop.

I have a feeling that the air pockets are affecting performance too... At full GPU load I'm seeing temps reach upwards of 60 degrees (68 is that most I've seen so far) and that's a lot warmer than I would have expected from this card.

7. juzz86

juzz86 Member

No worries. They do take a bit of getting out, especially vertical mounts. The Tower is a bit special, but same issue just in another corner of the block.

I usually find just warming up the loop is enough to get the bubbles moving, no need for detergent. It can work, though. Obviously don't overdo it unless you enjoy foam :p

P00peyes likes this.