Switching from Optus Cable to NBN HFC - questions

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by killerwombat, Aug 15, 2019.

1. killerwombat

killerwombat Member

I'm going to be making the move to NBN HFC, and have a few questions about how it will be setup.

I am currently using the provided Optus cable modem router on bridge mode to a separate wireless router. My understanding is that a NBN modem will be provide, so that should just replace the Optus cable modem and I don't need to purchase any additional hardware. Is my understanding correct?

Will the existing (Optus) coaxial outlet be used, or will the technician create a new outlet for the NBN connection?

I assume the cutover to NBN will not coincide with when my monthly Optus plan rolls over to the next month. Will I get charged a pro-rata amount only for the month, or do I need to pony up for the whole month? If it is the latter, is it possible to have both connections available to test? I assume this would depend on my previous question as to whether a new outlet is created.

Thank you in advance for your answers!

2. caspian

caspian Member

yes, NBN will supply a modem, your existing router will still work fine (ISP dependent).

you'll get a brand new wall socket and lead-in. other than one small experiment, no part of the Optus network is being reused for the NBN, you'll be getting a connection from what was formerly the Telstra HFC network.

what Optus charges you is entirely up to them and not within the control of NBN or your new ISP. unless you go with Optus for your NBN provider as well, in which case they might cut you a deal and do a switchover. barring that, you can keep both connections in parallel for some time if you like, you'll just pay independently for both.

3. Slug69

Slug69 Member

If you are currently on 100Mbps down and paying around $90 you will have to pay more for same speed with added bonus of getting 30Mbps up.

4. OP
    OP
    killerwombat

killerwombat Member

Thanks for your replies caspian and Slug69.

I am currently on 100mbps and understand that I'll be paying more for the same download speed. Hopefully there is less peak period congestion to justify the higher cost.

5. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Might differ area to area, but my switch from Optus Cable to Aussie Broadband NBN on HFC was dramatic.

Peak Optus Cable saw me trickling along at 20 mbps if I was lucky. Uploads were a laughable 1 mbps. All despite being on unlimited everything, and a theoretical 100 mbps down.

Now sitting on solid 100/40, rarely dipping to 90/35 even in congestion periods. The upload improvements alone were worth it for me (heavy cloud and VPN user for work stuff).