1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Switching from Windows to Linux

Discussion in 'Other Operating Systems' started by gav1ski, Aug 10, 2020.

1. gav1ski

gav1ski Member

Hi,

I am switching from Windows to Linux (Mint 20 Cinnamon) for my main day to day environment (keeping Windows for some games at the moment). In order get the stuff I need to a day to day I am stuck on the following.

1. Get gnome online accounts to connect my google drive automatically. Really annoying that I need to double click on it so it connects and other applications can access.

2. Get AWS workspace client to work. In order to do this I need to have a client certificate installed. I have only previously used certificates in Apache I am at a complete loss with how to get the supplied PFX file into a format and location that can be found by the AWS client.

Thanks.

2. flu!d

flu!d Never perfect, always genuine

I use Insync to sync my Google Drive with my Gsuite account. Works perfectly and is fairly well priced, in fact it's also my go to software for Windows and MacOS, craps all over Google's native client. I've been using it for about six years now, their support is fantastic.

I admit, I don't use AWS, however their Linux client instructions seem pretty straightforward and in no way even mention the use of a secure certificate? Are you connecting directly or connecting via a proxy/VPN?

https://docs.aws.amazon.com/workspaces/latest/userguide/amazon-workspaces-linux-client.html

Last edited: Aug 11, 2020
  3. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

1. Assumption Gnome 3, use gnome-session-properties to autostart applications when you logon.

or

rclone - https://rclone.org/
    https://ostechnix.com/how-to-mount-google-drive-locally-as-virtual-file-system-in-linux/

4. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Seconding rclone.

No, it's not GUI-wizard driven, but it is straight forward and the documentation is excellent. As per the link above, you can either use it to copy/sync on demand, or you can use it to make a locally mounted file path that is live connected to a remote cloud service, and available in any GUI file manager without needing further special software installed.

I use Backblaze and Google Drive via rclone now, almost exclusively. Vendors' native tools annoy me because they're all different and don't talk nicely. With rclone I can copy with ease between local systems or between cloud systems with ease, I can do it on headless servers, and I can schedule things to happen at night time so I don't have to manually do rote tasks like a robot.

5. OP
    OP
    gav1ski

gav1ski Member

Thanks, I will try the autostart, but I think rclone may be what I need.

EDIT: went with rclone with a service to auto mount

6. OP
    OP
    gav1ski

gav1ski Member

The certificate is used to add a second factor (trusted device) to the login process. I just can't get my head around where to put the certificate and what format to convert the pfx to so it can be found and used.

7. flu!d

flu!d Never perfect, always genuine

I assume you're paying for the service? If so, contact Amazon support - Hopefully they're better than Adobe support!

8. OP
    OP
    gav1ski

gav1ski Member

Oh well, after a support call with AWS found out that trusted device (certificate) auth is only supported by mac and windows clients all others can not use it. Looks like I am stuck using windows for work stuff. :(

9. Wako

Wako Member

10. OP
    OP
    gav1ski

gav1ski Member

Only a contractor there now so can't change things. Was setup just using simple AD (workspace only users) that does not support MFA and was configured to trusted device in order to meet second factor requirements. It's poor form that AWS does not have any MFA offering out of the box for workspaces and while it is possible the company does not have the in house expertise or time to implement the third party configuration needed to make it work.

Anyway got most of my stuff moved across, just going to have to keep windows sitting in dual boot so I can do work stuff and any games I can't get to run.