1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Switching to Debian from Windows

Discussion in 'Other Operating Systems' started by ausghostdog, Jul 22, 2014.

1. ausghostdog

ausghostdog Member

snip**snip

Last edited: Oct 13, 2015
  2. starkers92

starkers92 Member

Add the debian mozilla repository so you can get the newest iceweasel/firefox release

AFAIK you can live without AV...

3. HyRax1

HyRax1 ¡Viva la Resolutión!

If you don't logon or do actions as root all the time, you are at no risk of viruses. And if you only stick to software in the Debian repository, there is no chance of installing anything malicious.

As for games, install the Steam client. The number of quality games available for Linux now is staggering. Note that you will need to install proprietary graphics drivers to get the most out of it (which is generally against the whole Debian "free" ethos).

LVM and iptables are the same across pretty much all distros.

4. kripz

kripz Member

http://gufw.org/ or similar, if you prefer.

WINE is OK if the game has OpenGL mode, otherwise performance is going to be pretty bad (but still playable).

You can probably get viruses through exploits via things like java and adobe flash. I think everything thats likely will be coming through your browser, id look at things like noscript or whatever. As for AV, some vendors do provide linux versions like Kaspersky but i dont think they work on current kernels.

Other things you might want to look at is setting up extra buttons on your mouse if you have a gaming mouse, headphone buttons and features (mine is wireless and only the basic sound and mic work unfortunately).

Get Nvidia, it will give you less headaches later with games, ATI cards just dont work as well, seems most people design/port/test around Nvidia.

5. Smokin Whale

Smokin Whale Member

Why not dual-boot Windows on a small HDD? I wouldn't trust a VM for games.

6. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

Add the repo "main contrib non-free" this will have all the binary drivers for graphics and other proprietary software drivers and software.

+1 to Steam
    https://wiki.debian.org/Steam

7. OP
    OP
    ausghostdog

ausghostdog Member

Thanks guys,

I've been playing around with a few things am going with GNOME2 at this stage , just have to wait for my new hard drive to arrive before I can make the switch over.

Will keep you updated.

8. BIPyjamas

BIPyjamas Member

It kind of sucks, but I've had to give up on using Linux at home for several years now even though I'm a Linux sysadmin professionally. It's just too convenient to play games without minimal hassle on Windows. Right tool for the job and all that.

Dual-boot was also too much of a pain. You get into the mindset of "I'm in desktop mode for the next few hours = boot Linux" vs "Now I want to game, do I really want to close all my apps and background jobs and boot Windows?"

By all means give it a go, never know till you try.

A nice compromise may be to run a Linux VM on your Window's desktop with all the day-to-day things you need. You get all the Linuxy goodness with instant flexibility to do other things. You can "pretend" to have as many disks as you like by just spawning lots of virtual disk image files and plugging in volumes from the host OS into the VM also.

9. AdoringFan

AdoringFan Member

you can play all the best games under linux anyways