[SYD] Big LEGO Warehouse Sale @ Lane Cove Lego HQ

Discussion in 'Other Toys/Hobbies' started by HyRax1, Apr 28, 2005.

1. HyRax1

HyRax1 ¡Viva la Resolutión!

Hi everyone,

For those who like doing their Xmas shopping early, or just need an excuse to buy toys, the main Sydney Lego warehouse at Lane Cove (near Mars Road in the industrial estate) is having a 50%-80% off sale of most of their stock starting today and finishing Saturday. They are opening paletts of stock and letting people loose on it.

Today they sold primarily Sports, Clickits, Duplo and Spiderman Lego - stuff aimed at kids 8 and under. They had a reasonably big Pirate Ship model that normally sells for $100 going for $50. Tomorrow they will be selling stuff for up to 13 year olds (so probably most Town and Space Lego). They were not able to tell me what was going to be sold on Saturday (exec's have not decided yet), but the warehouse people believe that Technic and other "mature" Lego kits will be up for sale.

To get there, if travelling northbound, follow Epping Road and turn left at the lights just before you get to the big Shell service station. If coming from the M2, go past the big Shell service station and take the first right at the lights. Follow the main road all the way to the end until you come to a cross intersection where the opposite straight lane is slightly adjacent to the right of your lane. Hop across the road and keep going straight until you get to the end. Turn left at the end and you will see the large Lego warehouse.

Parking is limited. The sale starts at 10am.

2. warhead

warhead Member

Drats!
    I missed the sale... would've been cool to get my hands on some lego again

Stupid university exams running on saturdays

3. OP
    OP
    HyRax1

You didn't miss much. Unfortunately they never did get any Technic on sale. It was mostly everything up to 12 years only, but seemingly it was more gear that they weren't able to sell, ie: small kits, Sports Lego, Clickits (girly) Lego, Duplo, etc. Some limited Castle Lego in the form of large-ish ship models.

No Town, Space or Train Lego.

The closest we got to Town Lego was some Spiderman Lego and that's about it.

:(

Grabbed a catalogue and flipped through it (I haven't read a Lego catalogue since the late 80's I thnk). Unfortunately it seems much of Lego has changed in the last 15 years, having to follow the mainstream and cut down on some of the old popular stuff. For example, the Space Lego range isn't anywhere near as big or as creative-looking as it was before. Town seems to have remained unchanged and Trains have become less techy (you can't do remote control of devices anymore - things like track points are controlled manually now). Technic is still pretty impressive and the Lego Mindstorms range has moved onto 2.0 which is a bit more advanced for the techies but at the same time simpler for newbies to get into.

That said, I had a look at the Lego web site where you can order anything on-line (in Aussie Dollars too) and the range is suitably big, but not as awe-inspiring as Lego used to be. I guess Lego has had to face stiff competition from the likes of game consoles and other toys now. Shame.

4. DJ_3000

DJ_3000 Member

Bit of a grave dig, but is that warehouse still open? And do they have built up lego on display? Or its just a shop now?

I remember near the entrance back in 1988 they had a massive 12V lego train model up and running.

5. LaRgO

LaRgO Member

in my brothers time he told me late 80s early 90s they had a shitload of lego competitions at toy stores and whatever they made within a certain time they where allowed too keep!

i got a big box of lego, ilove the technic stuff!

6. OP
    OP
    HyRax1

I think you're thinking of the Lego World Shows they used to have at shopping centres and the like? I haven't seen one out in Australia for over a decade now (they were heaps cool, though).

The warehouse in Lane Cove is just Lego's distribution centre for Sydney.

7. Jaff

Jaff Member

I remember that in Grace Bros (now Myer) in the city used to have a massive lego display - it was awesome. We still have a big box of lego at home as well as instructions and everything. Still want to get one of those massive pirate ships though that go for about $100-$200 on eBay :(

8. PogiPinoy

PogiPinoy Member

not lego warehouse sale related but lego related nonetheless

did anyone in sydney go to the lego pirate exhibition that was shown at centrepoint? i was a little boy back then but it sure was awesome :)

9. Wink

Wink Member

Yes I went.

Really vague memories but I do remember it was quite dark and they had full size pirates made from Lego.

10. Jaff

Jaff Member

Yep - that's the other one I went to. Such a good exhibition.

11. stmok

stmok Member

That's where I got the bulk of my LEGO! :)
    I went to competitions from store to store. ;)

12. Shamrock

Shamrock Member

crap i goto lego HQ all the time i waill ask the secretary if they have any sales from the warehouse comming up...