[SYD] Hitachi 1TB externals for $50 @ one Aldi

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by Hyram, Dec 7, 2011.

1. samarium

samarium Member

Geometry is irrelevant to the quoted maximum, as it is a maximum.

All your long explanation above says is that the drives effective data rate is less than the max media rate, where as quoted below you say the exact opposite. Out of the case, the best you could expect is less than half of SATA 2, and less than a quarter of SATA 3.

The media rate may approach the maximum where geometry is favorable , and be less on other parts of the disk, but that doesn't change the fact that you can't effectively max out SATA2 or SATA 3 interfaces as moving data to/from the platters will be < the max media rate.

sustained disk data transfer < max media rate (1.5Gb/s) < SATA 2 (3.0Gb/s) < SATA 3 (6.0Gb/s)

Not close at all. I concur with sanjay.

I'm interested in how fast my data gets on the disk and off it, not how fast it gets to/from the controller cache since it is usually buffered by system memory first, which is just as volatile as controller cache.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2011
  2. OldnBold

OldnBold Member

You really do need to learn to read. I explained that the media rate was not a valid metric to use and you continue to blather on about it.

3. OP
    OP
    Hyram

Hyram Member

Wonderful, its turned into a pedantry competition :lol:

Personally? I don't give three shits and a barrel o' figs how fast it is. I use Hitachi because they're reliable. Knowing my data's going to stay there and be accessible for the longest time is the key factor. That's why I trust SSD technology about as far as I can spit the Titanic :D

Saturday, kids. See you at the Aldi line-up!

4. samarium

samarium Member

Enjoy Hitachi while you can, as they've unfortunately been sold. To WD IIRC.

5. QLDguy1

QLDguy1 Member

does anyone know if these will be in the glass cabinet or simply on the shop floor?

Most electronics are behind glass, if so how to you buy them if there will be a huge rush???

6. congoh

congoh Member

I don't know about yor local Aldi, but local one I go to have items stacked on pallets. You go and grab one.

7. JoJoker

JoJoker (Banned or Deleted)

The aldi website is saying $60 now?

8. QLDguy1

QLDguy1 Member

this is true for most things except electronics, exception are tvs as they sre too big, i am wrong?

9. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

most brisbane stores at least, a lot of IT/electronics stuff goes in the cabinets

10. OP
    OP
    Hyram

Hyram Member

As they have been for the past week and a half, online. Read the original post -- I lucked out, stumbling across a store-opening sale purely by chance and they were $50 a pop, but only at that store, and only until the 9th.

11. JoJoker

JoJoker (Banned or Deleted)

Sorry, I must have missed it in my skim reading madness.

12. pieceofchance

pieceofchance Member

just curious if anyone from the forums are planning on stocking up at the Aldi in Melton (VIC) today...

I was intending to clean them out, then had the thought there might be other OCers in my fair shire and I thought I'd check first.

13. pieceofchance

pieceofchance Member

... sold out before I got there at 0835...

14. EDMONTY

EDMONTY Member

yep same , i went to 2 aldis at 8:30 and the other one by 8:45 and all gone , false advertising i think

15. QLDguy1

QLDguy1 Member

I was first in the queue went straight to the register, no hdds, wtf, was told it was readvertised to get rid off stock! But they didn't get any stock. Was planning to get a few too, of well

16. Omarko

Omarko Member

I got to the store at 8:40 (Baulkham hills) and they had one left so I quickly grabbed it!

17. Volnhar

Volnhar Member

I was waiting for the Rose Hill store to open this morning after asking the guy yesterday if they had the drives in he said yes but can't give it to you now. I said fine.

The tablets went in a few minutes, the person in front of me got the last one, but didn't care wasn't after one.

Then asked for two of the drives and was told they never had any. I said WTF I asked yesterday, guy said don't know about that.

Then told to go and try Parramatta store or Guildford as they had them.

Went to Parra store and told last one just was sold, then went to Guildford, said they never got any.

Was going to go home, but wife said to try Villawood store...

Went to Villawood and they went out the back and brought out two for me.

Also got a pair of the walkie talkies and the MP3 player.

18. MagyaR

MagyaR Member

What a crock, went to a store, sold out, I said that it sounds like bait advertising, she said we had them for months and no one bought them until we advertised them.

19. Ethan W

Ethan W Member

lol, I went to the McGraths Hill store at like 10am and they had a few left. Only grabbed one, so there might be some left.

Running a diag on it now to make sure it's all good before I void the warranty. :p

Will update with ATTO benchmarks of the drive in and out of the enclosure if anyone's interested.

EDIT: here's the USB benchmark. About to extract the drive now, then I'll update.

USB Enclosure - Formatted NTFS
    [​IMG]

SATA 3Gb/s - Formatted NTFS
    [​IMG]

Quite a fast drive. :D

Last edited: Dec 17, 2011
  20. pksw

pksw Member

Volnhar your persistence to visit four stores is commendable. I didn't have the time to bother going today, after I saw no stock at my local store last week. Figured they were just running out what was left on the shelves rather than getting a new shipment in. The Aldi website and catalog both state the each local store will have different stock levels of any product!

I did pick up WD element 2 tb drives at officeworks for $113. Haven't cracked them open yet put assuming its a green drive inside. Centrecom was advertising $119 so OW price matched and 5% off. I wasn't the first person to do the same - when I mentioned centrecom the guy said I didn't need to show him their catalog as a previous customer already had.