Sydney-cheapest travel options, recommended accommodation

Discussion in 'Holidays & Travel' started by broccoli, Nov 24, 2018.

1. broccoli

broccoli Member

It's a million years since I went anywhere (and I'll probably not end up going) but I'm considering going over to Sydney.
    Millions of fares/options/packages yada yada yada. Does anyone know when is a good time to go, sometime after school holidays go back in February (whenever that is) and June. Is there a magical period with good rates or is it just having to trawl through to find a decent rate? Virgin any good, or stick with Qantas?
    Is it better to book accommodation and flight together (obviously, it may be easier/more convenient) or do it separately?
    Finally, does anyone know a good reasonably priced hotel/serviced apartment/BnB in Sydney CBD or not too far out? Doesn't need to be fancy (will be out during the day anyway), just clean and with decent hot water.

2. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

Everytime I go to Sydney I stay at Travel Lodge Wynyard is on the rail line to and from airport, isn't cheap or expensive but clean and tidy and never had a bad experience and I stay there 2-3 times a year for the past 5 years. Is nothing special but reliable and clean.

firey4059 likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    broccoli

broccoli Member

Thanks. There are so many listings and they all look wonderful in photos and descriptions. A recommendation is worth a lot.

nai and chook like this.
  4. doug81

doug81 Member

Have always had a good stay at Vibe on Goulburn St - generally under $150/night and good sized rooms with a comfy bed. Easy to walk to everything CBD, and right near World Square. Must have stayed half a dozen times :thumbup: Also, coffee isn't bad at the Lovebite Cafe, but worth a bit more of a walk down to Workshop (opposite QVB)

Don't stay at Ibis near World Square - beds are tiny and it's next to a 'Love Hotel'

If you can get a good deal, Four Points Sheraton on Darling Harbour is pretty nice, as is the Hilton opposite QVB - have stayed in both for under $200/night and were pretty damn good!

Usually go flight & accom separately as it's not too much to jump onto Agoda, then check the flights on Webjet and book on the airline website...

Also, got some great deals around Anzac Day, but it's going to coincide with Easter so not sure what that's going to do to it...

Last edited: Nov 27, 2018
    firey4059 likes this.
  5. OP
    OP
    broccoli

broccoli Member

thanks doug81. The qantas site said it was having a sale and only 2 days left but I don't have the money right now. If they have another "sale" next month, I might book it then (I don't know whether it really was a sale or just the usual sort of blurb to get you to 'buy now or you'll miss out'.
    The hotel prices (for the ones I looked at) seemed lower after April 30 than in March. Easter's always expensive, I think, unless you get a "last-minute deal" for places that haven't fully booked. I'm not interested in accommodation that won't let you cancel. I can live with losing airfare if I end up booking and end up not being able to go (thems the breaks if you get an el cheapo fare), but I'm not interested in being held to accommodation cost as well.
    That Vibe place came up in the airline deals or somewhere when I was looking. Seemed quite heavily promoted.

6. doug81

doug81 Member

Hard to beat it for value in that location, not surprised that it gets promo placement...

7. OP
    OP
    broccoli

broccoli Member

There just seem to be so many places to stay and many seem value/decent. Very competitive market, I think, hence the deals and pricing and packages, etc. Also, for when it's starting to get colder, it's probably not as popular for people to go on holiday so more "deals". I know I got good accommodation prices when I went to Tassie many years ago, because I went in July. It's just hard to know what's a good deal, what's a good place (they just about all look decent in photos) when there are zillions of listings.

8. GTR27

GTR27 Member

What do you actually want to do/see Broc?

9. OP
    OP
    broccoli

broccoli Member

It's a bit embarrassing....
    star wars exhibition

GTR27 likes this.
  10. GTR27

GTR27 Member

On this forum? I can think of much worse things!

The question is, are you going full cosplay princess Leia metal bikini?

Ocau will probably make you a moderator if you show pics!

Edit: we could rephrase that to "on a scale of Jabba the hut to Leia in a metal bikini, how many nerds are you planning on spraying with your nerd musk"

Last edited: Dec 16, 2018
  11. GTR27

GTR27 Member

Seriously though, when is it? My son *cough* would love to go

12. OP
    OP
    broccoli

broccoli Member

:D you don't realise how funny that is.

Now, until next june

13. wwwww

wwwww Member

You can get cheap rooms at Villa Hotel, they charge an hourly rate so if you can get by with little sleep you can save a lot of money. Their rooms don't have windows and the walls are paper thin but it's cheap and the location is good. It's just next to the Ibis near World Square.

14. OP
    OP
    broccoli

broccoli Member

My days of roughing it are over, I'm afraid :D Old, and tired, I needs me my creature comforts. :D

15. wwwww

wwwww Member

Sometimes you can get rooms at the Westin/Sheraton on the Park for $195 and $197 respectively. That's the lowest they go afaik.

The other option is just near Villa there's a bar called Mr B's, you can go paratrooping there for a place to stay.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
  16. OP
    OP
    broccoli

broccoli Member

Hotel rates seem completely arbitrary. One minute it's this, the next it's that. I've booked somewhere at what seems a reasonable rate. It's a flexible rate which I can cancel, so if I see any fantastic deals I could take one. It seems that the "fantastic deals" at upmarket places happen at the last minute (presumably when they need to get empty rooms occupied and are prepared to sell them at a discount). A lot of the "deals" are pre-paid.