Sydney Storage

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by matz, Jul 30, 2018.

1. OP
    OP
    matz

matz Member

Done with the shelving, now just need to move the rest of the gear in, get a bar fridge and chair and maybe some carpet tiles.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

nimmers and macplus like this.
  2. Phido

Phido Member

Neat.. Strong commodore collection there.. Big Amigas, Commodore PC/10 ? PC/20? Lots of commodore monitors. I assume you have Vic20 and C64's hidding the boxes. Apple II's, IBM PC's (XTs?)..Looks like at least 1 ps/2. Trying to work out what portable/luggable you have.. THen what are those? look like a stack of Commodore 128D's, but maybe not different keyboard connector? Then you have your range of PC clone stuff.

Bar Fridge.. Maybe some small speakers. KMV switch.. Can't imagine the wifi reception is great...

I Like your setup.. Shelving looks okay.. Doesn't it already have bolts?!

3. OP
    OP
    matz

matz Member

You have a sharp eye, yes a bit of Commodore gear, this is maybe half of it, the A500's, A600's, C128's, C64's and Vic20 are still at home, as is other early Apple, IBM and clone gear. Still need to make a few more trips! The luggable is an Osbourne Executive and yes there are a couple of 128D's there.

Not sure if there is any wifi to be honest will check next time I'm out. The uprights are bolted but not the shelving, just uses safety pins.
    upload_2018-8-6_17-22-5.png

4. ohayes

ohayes Member

Nice collection Matz it’s looking good mate hope you get the time to enjoy it all.

5. Phido

Phido Member

I was going to say Osborne, but I I thought I was just bias because of my love of Osbornes. My old man reached the maximum height of 1980's executive-ness the day he bought home a Osborne luggable. Which ended being stolen, in his new XD I think Fairlane Ghia. They stole the car, it was found later, but it was only stolen for the osborne. Precious 1980's osbornes.. Those junkies must have really needed to code in Gw-basic on a 4" crt. We weren't far from Kings cross, so I assume they quickly handed it over for its weight in heroin or cocaine. Probably to some crazy bent 80's Sydney coppa. Roger Rogerson or his kin. Keeping track of his dealings.

All it ever had on it was pac man. My old man is about as computer illiterate as they come, back in the 1980's it would have been hilarious. It was purely executive status and an excuse to work from "home".

Is yours green or orange screened?

Do you have nearly every commodore monitor made?

Last edited: Aug 6, 2018
  6. Flamin Joe

Flamin Joe Member

In 40+ years time I'll be watching a episode of Storage Wars in the nursing home thinking to myself, that storage locker they are auctioning off looks very familiar....where have I seen it before? :lol:

Awesome collection. :thumbup:

shredder likes this.
  7. OP
    OP
    matz

matz Member

Bar Fridge is in, in hindsight perhaps should have gone for something a little smaller...

[​IMG]

Orange FTW! Not even close on every commodore monitor, there are also Amstrad, Apple, IBM, NEC and even an Olivetti in there.

Phido likes this.
  8. dacow

dacow Member

OMG that looks awesome matz! I'm glad you posted pics, because now I can go show my wife that my collection can't be called hoarding :p

9. /invariance\

/invariance\ Member

+1. I’ll show my wife now.
    Hmm, maybe not, she'll point out that my “shit” is everywhere.

Vanne likes this.
  10. breech

breech Member

Very nice setup. I would suggest sliding the middle rack to one side, so when you need more space you can add another set for double density.

11. macplus

macplus Member

Nice setup. What did you say the address was again? :)

Flamin Joe and Vanne like this.
  12. BuuBox

BuuBox Member

Looks great.

What limitations does the storage company put on how you use the space?

13. OP
    OP
    matz

matz Member

Good idea, I'm going back to get some more shelves so I'll pick up another rack. Still a lot of stuff to move out of the garage so it will fill up quickly.

None that I'm aware of, I've seen others in the complex running what look to be small online businesses out of these units.

I'll get back to you on that ;)

I've moved the fridge to a more convenient location, just fits!

[​IMG]

Phido, Flamin Joe and Vanne like this.
  14. Vanne

Vanne Member

Looks great man, how far is that from your house? the only issue I can see is not getting there very often if its a fair whack from your joint. My mate had a loft in a garage somewhere, and after a while, pretty much didn't go there anymore, only to chuck more stuff in. Initially we were all round there everynight drinking booze and generally just lounging about, was a great catchup joint. Even took some of my old PC's there to stuff around with. But after a while, guys just didn't show up anymore.. and typing away by yourself can get rather boring, but I have been looing at something similar to store/work on my race car. Does that get pretty darn hot in summer?

Flamin Joe likes this.
  15. Flamin Joe

Flamin Joe Member

You'll be surprised how many eBay sellers run their businesses out of what is essentially a mini-warehouse. If you don't need a storefront but you need somewhere to secure stock other than cluttering up your house, storage sheds are the perfect affordable solution. I've picked up stuff locally from such places in the past.

That's what would put me off doing a setup like this. I like the convenience of being able walk into the garage any time I want and tinker with the gear I have. With two young kids and working full time sometimes it can be hard to find the time to work on my gear or even find the motivation to do it. Having to jump in the car even for a short drive just to do my hobby would personally for me curb my enthusiasm and I think I would find myself in the same situation as your mate where it would just become another place to hoard stuff.

Phido and dacow like this.
  16. OP
    OP
    matz

matz Member

It's about 20 mins from my house but only a couple of minutes off the route I drive to the city every day. At the moment I load the car up and drop gear off on my way to or on the way back from the office, I'm there a few times a week. To be honest I just have way too much stuff to fit into the garage even with all the shelving I put in recently, and I have a bad habit of working on 6 projects concurrently and taking up even more space. The plan is to have a few active projects being worked on at home and everything else in storage. The workbench in storage will be used for basic testing, building and cataloguing everything I have so I know what works, what doesn't and what needs to be brought back when that project begins. No idea if it gets hot in summer, will find out soon enough, if it does I'll just get a portable air con for when I'm there.

17. /invariance\

/invariance\ Member

Soooo, when’s the garage warming and/or retro lan? jj

Vanne likes this.
  18. Phido

Phido Member

Yeh I am getting pressure from my other half on this one. But I don't want just one project, I want multiple cocurrent projects!

I have a farm with a shed and a mezzanine level that only I go to. Much the same purpose. Slowly I have moved it mostly into my garage. Now no cars fit.