Sydney to New York

Discussion in 'Holidays & Travel' started by mental_empathy, Oct 12, 2012.

1. mental_empathy

mental_empathy Member

Im planning a holiday to New York for EDC in May 2013.

I have never been to the states before and was thinking of a 2 week trip. Is this too little time? I could extend this to 2.5 or 3 weeks easily. How much should one budget and is there anything we should do. I understand NYC is quite a touristy city.

I'd also like to start considering booking flights, but am not sure where to start or when sales are on. I have read that LAX is a nightmare, and that it would be more worthwhile to go and see San Fran.

Else, I guess we could stop over in Seoul/another asian country and fly direct to New York?

Finally, how to Frequent Flyer points work? Is it worthwhile to start accumulating points?

2. blued

blued Member

I really don't know why everyone complains about LAX... Never had any problems.

I've been researching a trip to LA -> NY (via hire car) and one thing I've discovered is that accommodation in NY is bloody expensive too. Keep that in mind.

3. OP
    OP
    mental_empathy

mental_empathy Member

Investigating hiring an apartment for 2 weeks or so

4. 5tumpy

5tumpy Member

NYC is one of the most expensive cities in the US to live in, but compared to Sydney for example, it's cheap as chips, as long as you aren't renting there!

2 weeks for what? If you're just wanting to go to a couple of cities, 2 weeks is ok, but the more time you have, the better... For example, I'd want to spend at least 3 nights in NYC, 2 in DC, a couple in New Orleans, 2 nights in Vegas, 3 nights in So-Cal and a couple in San Francisco. There's 14 nights, right there, and you'd be rushed though the whole thing. The wife and I did LA-Vegas-San Diego in 12 nights in 2010, and we didn't get to do half the stuff we wanted to...

If I was you, I'd go with Qantas, and fly into and out of Fort Worth. From there, I'd go Dallas- New Orleans- DC- NYC- San Francisco- LA & San Diego- Vegas- Dallas. This minimises the amount of your holiday you're losing to flying, and enabling you to see as much of the country as you can.

Waste of time and money... Your 15 hour flight to the states turns in a 24 hour-multi-stop nightmare...

If you go with Qantas... Sign up for Woolworths Everyday rewards, make sure you fill out the part of the form for the free QFF membership... Then, when you book with Qantas, you give them your QFF number and everytime you fly with them or with one of their partners, you get points... A return flight to LAX will give you enough points for a one way flight from Brisbane to Melbourne, with some change... Basically, if you have to pay for the membership ($60) it's not worth a pinch of shit, but if you get it for free, then a ~$150 flight for nothing seems like a good deal to me!

5. OP
    OP
    mental_empathy

mental_empathy Member

I found another route

SYD-HNL-JFK
    $1138. (Hawaiian Airlines)

This is ALOT cheaper than the prices I am getting for QF

Also get a 9PM flight compared to morning QF flights.

6. Konvul

Konvul Member

This is return I hope?

7. OP
    OP
    mental_empathy

mental_empathy Member

Looks like one way :(

8. Konvul

Konvul Member

Too steep for one-way. I'm getting $1555 throughout the whole of May with Delta (V Australia codeshare SYD-LAX). I'd wait till the sales pop up. You are looking too far ahead, give it a month or two and they should start having promotions.

I would actually recommend if you haven't done this route, to do it in two bits. Stopover in Los Angeles at a airport hotel (4* @ $85-100/night) and leave the next morning. It is a LOT of time to travel.

I'm actually doing the same in a month -
    MEL - LAX with V Australia, and Delta LAX - JFK

Make sure you get your ESTA before you leave (Electronic VISA "Authorization")
    https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/

9. Pollywaffle

Pollywaffle Member

When looking for accommodation in NY, make sure you check out www.airbnb.com. I've been to NY twice in the past two years and I rented an apartment both times. Saved heaps of cash and generally the places are better than a hotel.

10. 5tumpy

5tumpy Member

You're assuming that the only way to go is via LAX... It's not... As I suggested above, if he flies in to Dallas, it's a much shorter flight to NYC... Also OP, I just remembered, check out connections into Newark rather than JFK... It's usually much cheaper and not far from NYC...

11. decryption

decryption Member

Seconding Air BnB - much easier than an apartment and way cheaper than a hotel. Long as you're close to a subway station in NY, you're all good :)

Newark (EWR) is about the same to get to as JFK anyways, there's also LaGuardia (LGA) airport for domestic flights within the USA, which is easy to get to as well.

So if you're going SYD-DFW you can book your own flight between DFW and LGA/EWR/JFK

Last edited: Oct 13, 2012
  12. OP
    OP
    mental_empathy

mental_empathy Member

Thanks for the help.

I might extend the trip to 3 weeks, and fit it in like this
    SYD-LA (stay in LA 2 days)
    LA-NYC
    NYC-HNL (Iv been watching too much Hawaii 5-0)
    HNL-Syd.

Looks doable, and the Hawaii Leg breaks the trip up

13. 5tumpy

5tumpy Member

Thanks for the tip guys! Never heard of it before, will have to check it out when I'm planning my holiday next year...

Yeah, the more options you have, the more likely you are to save a few bucks...

How long are you planning to spend in NYC for? Looks like a shitload of wasted time to me... Also, you're going to be buying one-way tickets, which usually work out to more expensive than return flights...

3 weeks is enough time to see most of the major tourist sites in the whole of the USA, and you're wasting all that time on NYC and Hawaii?

14. Konvul

Konvul Member

Let him decide what he wants to do/see. Everyone is different. 3 weeks for you - might be 6 months for someone else. Places where people want to visit differ for everyone..

No I am not assuming that at all.. I am saying the CHEAPEST price im getting for May is through LAX.

R/T ticket to Dallas as it is $1644 ~ in May. That's without even getting to NYC. And from the looks of it too, there is no direct flight. Transit either through LAX or BNE. So what's the point of making 2 stops?

To OP - V Australia/Qantas/United to LAX - then NYC (JFK/LGA/EWR) on United/Delta/V America whatever is cheaper.

15. OP
    OP
    mental_empathy

mental_empathy Member

That sounds like a plan.

The original reason why I wanted to include Hawaii was that it would break up the flight between Syd and LA. However, I still need to consider the feasibility of this.

Most people have stated that you need at least a week or 2 in New York (+ side trips) to experience it. Remember I am doing a 2-3 day music festival in between.

Perhaps it may be a better option to stop at LA or so on my way back.

16. 5tumpy

5tumpy Member

It's only $100 more for a return flight to fort worth than it is fly into LAX with Qantas, who fly direct from Sydney to forth worth daily (QF7 into the US and QF8 out)... A one-way flight, like the OP is proposing to JFK is $1600 on it's own, let alone factoring in additional flights to LAX and HNL... It's $300 from fort worth to JFK or the same from LAX, and the flight from LAX is a couple of hours longer...

How about actually doing some research before going off half cocked and giving shithouse advice?

Yeah, do that, if you want to spend 21 hours in the air, have a useless stopover at LAX, the most boring airport on the planet...

Or you can look at your options from a cost vs benefit point of view and look at the smarter options...

Not worth it for the extra expense IMHO, it will also screw up your body clock even more... Another time zone for your body to adjust to...

Nah mate, realistically, NYC only needs a few days at the most to explore the major tourist attractions... What side trips are you talking about? There's not much to do around the city as far as "side trips" go... It's not like Vegas and the Grand Canyon where you can do a day trip to a natural wonder...

EDC is actually in East Rutherford, New Jersey... It's about 30 mins outside of NYC... You can probably find cheaper accommodation in Jersey than in NYC for this part of your trip...

Honestly mate, I would go to www.tripadvisor.com and jump on their forums... I really think that 2 weeks in NYC is a waste of time and money when you consider the other sites in the US you could be seeing...

LA is not the only option for direct flights, nor is it the cheapest when you take into account the domestic connections, or even the cost of hiring a car and taking a week or so do a roadtrip through the southern US states, it's an amazing experience!

17. PapaRubbery

PapaRubbery Member

This thread is on the second page and nobody has said ITA matrix yet?

For shame OCAU, for shame!

18. Konvul

Konvul Member

I'd be looking at your advice firstly before criticizing mine..

He wants 2 weeks in NY, 3-4 days of which at a music festival. That leaves 10-11 days in NYC. If you want to see the surrounding areas, that's a great amount of time. It's not a 'waste'.

Lets take 1st May as an example, for 3 weeks.

1st May - 22nd May.
    Qantas = $1826 AUD from SYD - DFW
    That's direct on the way there (Okay you were right there)
    On the way back QF8 actually does a stopover in Brisbane.

1st May - 22nd May
    V Australia = $1349 AUD from SYD - LAX

1st May
    DFW > NYC = $134 with Spirit to LGA
    LAX > NYC = $168 with AA to JFK

Totals =
    To/From DFW & DFW > NYC = $1960
    To/From LAX & LAX > NYC = $1517

How are you justifying a $443 price difference?

The One-Way Option 1st May
    Qantas = $1632 to DFW direct.
    Emirates via Dubai = $1557 to JFK via DXB
    Hawaiian via Honolulu = $1217 to JFK via HNL
    Korean Air via Seoul = $1409 to JFK via ICN

Flying via DFW makes absolutely no sense. You can fly west-bound around to Dubai and to New York for cheaper then it is to fly to Dallas.

And here, Tripadvisor - http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopi...ys_to_spend_in_NY-New_York_City_New_York.html

How long to stay in NYC according to Tripadvisor? Hmmm..

19. 5tumpy

5tumpy Member

That's good advice, because yours is like saying "Why buy a BMW when you can buy a Chery?!"

I never said you couldn't fill in a month long holiday in NYC... I said that the 2 weeks the OP is planning on spending in NYC could be better utilised, allowing him to see more of the USA than just LA and NYC... He can see the major tourist attractions, go to his music festival, and still have a week left over to go see Niagra Falls or the Grand Canyon... Or DC or Vegas... All experiences that you will remember for a lifetime...

When you do a cost-benefit analysis of spending all that time in NYC, I don't think it's worth spending 2 weeks in NYC at the expense of the rest of the country...

Yeah it does, but it's a 90 min stopover, where all your baggage is handled by the airline, all you need to do is get off the plane, get some breakfast, and you're back on the plane and flying back to Sydney... As opposed to the 2 hours added to his trip by flying to NYC from LAX each way...

Oh, and if you more the date to the 2nd of may, you bring that down to $1700...

For a start, you're comparing a budget airline with a premium one... If you take the Qantas flight SYD-LAX, on an A380, which is far superior experience, the flight to LAX is actually $1625.24. So how about we compare apples with apples, rather than apples with oranges?

With the updated return tickets, here's what the totals actually end up looking like:

Totals =
    To/From DFW & DFW > NYC = $1837
    To/From LAX & LAX > NYC = $1793.24

So how am I justifying a $43 price difference? Quite easily actually...

lol... Have you every actually been to the states? Because you cross the international date line when flying eastbound from AU to the US, you gain a day, and your flight lands at almost the same time that you departed oz... Flying westbound via Dubai may be a cheaper option, but it also takes an extra day to get there and you miss out on the extra day... The only time flying via Dubai would make sense is if you wanted to keep that extra day you gained and continue flying east...

Good work mate... Couple of problems with that though....

Problem number 1, all those people are from the US... They can spend 2 weeks in NYC because they travel a couple of hours to get there, and they can visit other places and see the other sites by doing weekend visits...

Problem number 2, you selectively miss the quotes there who say "spend as much time as you can afford to spend there" if the OP goes there and says "I have 3 weeks in the US, should I spend 2 weeks of that in NYC?" I bet the answers he gets are very different...

Oh and we're completely ignoring the issue of the fact that the OP suggested he would fly direct to the US there, but home via HNL, which means he's buying more expensive, one-way tickets the whole trip...

20. Konvul

Konvul Member

This is truly your opinion, and you can't seem to value anyone else's.

I don't think you can see the whole of the US or the major attractions in 3 weeks. Either way if he wants to see them major attractions, he will have to go back. Because hopping cities every 2 days isn't a holiday. Nor would that be cost effective AT ALL.
    I think if you added up the transport to LA/Niagara Falls etc etc. going to all these 'attractions' you'll be spending much more money. And considering your not too flexible with the dates, considering you have to jump every few days. Your not actually saving money.. Its false economy.

DFW to JFK is 3hours 30minutes duration.. The flight is 1hour - 1hour 30min longer to DFW from Sydney = Same same.

How is that a saving of time?? I could say the EXACT same thing about going to DFW. You'll have to fly LONGER to get to DFW & still come back to it.

False economy once again..

Actually have a read of Airliners Trip Report on reports of the QANTAS A380 compared to the VA 777. I've actually had to compare the two, as it was the same price from MEL > LAX and I chose V Australia.

Why?

Because QF A380's apparently have extremely hard seating, are not comfortable to sit for long periods of time & have a smaller seat pitch then V Australia. We aren't comparing oranges to apples, Virgin Australia is a full cost carrier - they are not a 'budget' airline.

QFA380 = http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Qantas_Airways/Qantas_Airways_Airbus_A380.php
    Pitch 31" Width 18.1"

VA777 =
    http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Virgin_Australia/Virgin_Australia_Boeing_777-300ER.php
    Pitch 32" Width 18.8"

You've changed my numbers.. lol. I'm not even going to bother go looking at the Qantas website, because there's no point.

Okay To/From DFW & DFW = $1837 according to you.
    To/From SYD/LAX > NYC = $1517

The saving is still $320

I lived in Canada for 13 years of my life, I think I have spent more time in the US then you have.

I'm not stating the fact that it's a better idea to fly west-bound to Dubai - i'm just showing you that for the same price you can go around the world - then going your way.

He's not asking you where he should go. He's asking the best way to get to New York. Your opinion isn't too valued in that aspect. As far as you know, he would like to go shopping, he has friends there, he has family, he wants to stay longer due to ABC....Z reasons.

It might be a 'weekend trip' away, but honestly, a 14 hour flight and $800 down and your in the US. It's not space, and nor is it a 'life time' occasion. It's not worth trying to visit everything in 3 weeks. It's a joke.

If instead of 10 days (14 with the 4 day music festival) he spent lets say.. 6-7. 3-4 days to go somewhere, is truly a waste.

I really would hate to travel with you, if your the type of person who tries to see 3 months worth of things in 3 weeks. Next time I want to do a 'round the world' trip in 2 weeks, ill contact you. I can tell people I've visited all the major attractions in the world. But can't tell them anything else.

We?

The One-Way Option 1st May
    Qantas = $1632 to DFW direct.
    Hawaiian via Honolulu = $1217 to JFK via HNL
    Korean Air via Seoul = $1409 to JFK via ICN