Syncing email clients- Even possible?

Discussion in 'General Software' started by bojo, Mar 10, 2009.

1. bojo

bojo Member

Hi.

Got a small laptop to carry around with me and surf the net. I'd love to be able to use it for email too.

What i'd want is the laptop to sync with my main pc, when it is on my home network, and run by itself when it's not. However the email client i use (Windows Mail), isn't able to do this.

Though i can't seem to find a email client that is. What would i need to do to let me use my emails on any pc. Not removing them when they have been downloaded has been suggested, but i usually have to refer to my sent emails as well (would be hard if it was on the other pc).

I'd be thinking it's probably thunderbird+some set of plugins, but i can't find them :(

2. evilasdeath

evilasdeath Member

Use IMAP to access your emails instead of POP.

IMAP allows you to view your sent items folders as well from the server. Set them both to leave mail on the server for 90 days. (or period longer than the longest period that you don't use the other client)

Most clients will cache collected emails as well so as long as ether of them connect within that 90 day period both will have the same results when connected.

3. aza2001

aza2001 Member

Investigate in exchange :) simple easy and better supported than imap...

4. GazG

GazG Member

If it's just one email account, I'd say switch it over to Gmail. You can configure your email account to be sent & recieved from within the Gmail web interface, and AFAIK you can access it all via IMAP as well (if you want it on your phone). So this way it all stays 'in sync' and you can access it from anywhere there is a web browser.

MS Exchange is a great piece of software but it is overkill for one user.

5. TaroT

TaroT Member

what i do is use outlook
    have the .pst somewhere easy
    use the same pst on both computers and use soemthign like synctoy to sync pst file to both computers.
    set up 2 syncs one ---> and the other <---
    that way every time you load the mail all the mail contacts tasks etc are the same.

easy and very cheap (assumming you have office)

6. bugayev

bugayev Whammy!

I hope you're on crack. Exchange is more simple and better supported than IMAP?

7. OP
    OP
    bojo

bojo Member

More likely to setup an IMAP server than an exchange one.

I have a 24/7 data/intraweb server running, aswell as a 24/7 mythbox.
    Both are running linux. Not about to change them over to windows, especially when i'm clueless as to what exchange actually does (even people who use it have trouble explaining it, and why it's different for emails to IMAP).

Also, it's a good suggestion, but i don't really like webmail, it's just not my thing, i prefer to have a email client i can use.

With IMAP, would i be better of using my isp's (iinet ~50mb i hear) services, or should i go through the effort of setting up one of my server machines as an IMAP server?.

If it sync's well, and allows me to store data for a very very very long time, other people in my household would be interested in being able to use the same email on any pc.

8. jab_au

jab_au Member

It's been said previously but you do realise Gmail has IMAP, not to mention 7GB of space. You wouldn't need to access the webmail, you can use your mail program of choice.

http://mail.google.com/support/bin/topic.py?topic=12806

Why stuff around setting up a server yourself.

9. evilasdeath

evilasdeath Member

It depends if 50mb is enough to cache the number of emails over the time period your require then stick with that.

If you go your own mail server you do get a couple of advantages

your mailbox limit is the size that you define so you could use any type of mail server pop or imap or exchange.

you could leave the emails on the server indefinately

you could get your own domain name and have mail hosted as bojo@bojo.net.au for example, this would be totally portable even after moving 3 ISPs

2 disadvantages is you would need to setup dynamic DNS no doubt on your server (if you dont have it)

Also if you have alot of large emails you are going to be limited by your upload of your internet service to sync them remotely,

you may also not be allowed to host servers behind some providers internet connections.

10. OP
    OP
    bojo

bojo Member

aint gmail, name @gmail.com?. I want to keep my existing email address, not drop it for a new one.

i believe my new router/boughtforextended wireless anyway, has a dynamic DNS feature, hopefully i should be able to use that XD.

How bad is syncing?, if people send attachments i probably wouldn't want them downloaded/synced on the go (eg at uni where i get bugger all web usage). If i can just view the subjects, then download the body if i don't have it, then download the attachment if i don't have it, that would be fanatastic.

I might try my ISP's IMAP out and see if i like it.

Also, i was looking into exchange. It seems to involve stuff like calendars too?, that would be fairly handy, is there any software i can install like it for linux?. Does the calendar run through outlook or something?, or is it it's own application?.

Cheers for all your help guys, i've just been using one pc since forever, so having it on one place hasn't been a problem, until now :(. Appreciate all your help so far.

11. seb

seb Member

Using Google Apps you can get your own domain name.

Email clients can usually be set to only download headers.

12. jab_au

jab_au Member

13. GazG

GazG Member

Gmail can be set up to send/recieve another email account (eg. the one your ISP provides for you). I have done this for a client before.

Exchange is basically the server side of Outlook, and all of Outlook's features (calendar, tasks, etc.) integrate tightly with Exchange. There's loads of cool stuff it can do but it's expensive to acquire and it's no cakewalk to set up if you're a novice with Windows servers. You could look into renting a managed Exchange Server but still I'd say this is overkill. IMHO gmail is your best bet.