Synology DS218+ won't power up

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by Stooge007, Jun 10, 2020.

1. Stooge007

Stooge007 Member

hi all

after finally getting all of my photos and music on to my Synology DS218+ over the past 12 months (lol), i found i couldn't connect to it a few days ago

no worries, thought i'd try the old "turn it off and turn it back on trick"

so i did that, and when i tried to switch it back on, it wouldn't power on

thought i'd leave it a day or two and see if that changed things, but no luck

when i press the power button, the blue LED lights up for a second, then nothing happens

i did some Googling, which suggested i should remove the HDDs (2 x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf) and try again, but that didn't help

i also read about the "paperclip trick", which i gather is just a soft/hard reset, but it doesn't even power on to get to that stage

before i go to the trouble of getting a warranty repair, anything else i should try?

both NAS and HDDs are ~ 12 months old

thanks all

2. gords

gords Oh deer!

Depending on how quickly you need the files on the NAS you could:
    • Buy another DS218+ chassis
    • Move the drives to another Synology NAS (e.g. another Synology 2 or 4-bay chassis) and it'll migrate your data and most of the settings over. I just did it to move from a DS218+ to a DS918+. There's a blog post I found here (https://atherbeg.com/2017/10/24/how-to-move-disk-group-to-new-synology-nas/) that has some details and a link to the procedure on the Synology site.

3. ShaneHm2

ShaneHm2 Member

Are the drives powering up when you try it in another pc (obviously don't format it just try to make sure the drives are powering).
    Also is the power brick rattling or anything like that

4. McPoyle

McPoyle Member

5. caspian

caspian Member

given it won't even power up, I suspect that's not going to resolve the issue.

sounds like either a dead motherboard or a power supply. either way, it's under warranty so that's the clear path.

6. OP
    OP
    Stooge007

Stooge007 Member

yeah it wasn't even powering up

i got in touch with the store i purchased from (via eBay) and they asked me to send a video of the issue

so i moved it out into the kitchen where there's better light etc., plug it in and press the button and it powered up

moved it back into the study, popped the HDDs back in, and it boots up fine (i'm sure internally it was laughing at me and mocking me!)

i am hoping this was not a sign of impending doom, but did another back up anyway

still facepalm.jpg :mad:

7. caspian

caspian Member

good to hear it has recovered, presumably a poor connection somewhere has been rattled back to life.

up to you, but it might be worth pulling the drives again and giving the chassis a drop test onto something. if it's going to fail you'd rather it do so under warranty, not the usual 2 days afterwards.

8. SpaceFrog

SpaceFrog Member

Glad to hear OP fixed his problem. I've been playing with Xpenology lately. I'm guessing that would be an option, if another synology box wasn't available or feasable.

9. OP
    OP
    Stooge007

Stooge007 Member

2 year warranty, so will def be keeping a sharp eye on dates

Xpenology looks interesting, thanks for the info :)