1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

System crash...

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting Help' started by ibace, Nov 20, 2021.

1. ibace

ibace Member

Boy!! Where to start? Just put together what I thought would be my main PC...from a mix of components, most bought this forum from multiple sources...an X570 mobo, Ryzen 9 3900X, 64 GB ram and an RTX 2080 Super which I just got elsewhere but was thinking of keeping instead of my trusty old GTX 1080Ti Xtreme.

Brand new Windows Pro install, did the updates and was undertaking getting my programs set up and bench-marking done. I routinely run a full set of various benchmarks [AIDA x64 Speed Queen, Aida Memory Cache, Cinebench R15, Superposition, Heaven, Valley, 3DMARK Sky Diver, Fire Strike and Time Spy] as well as Thaiphoon Burner....

Crikey! I cannot even get the first 2 things done...no sooner [it seems] than I click start on the Aida Memory cache test...within seconds the system just shutdown! Bang! Turns off and then after a short while goes through the BIOS/Boot stage, sometimes ending up at Recovery options...other times going back to desktop...coupla times it got to desktop and just switched off again.

Had my doubts I could even get this written and posted...still hoping. I have changed the ram, Video card checked the CPU cooler was seated properly and good TIM...everything IO can think of...temps were warm....but not enough to cause a shutdown [was 64°C even at 4.00 am running a 360 AIO...]

Will see what pointers I get here but inclined to rip it all out...see about sending the parts back to the individuals and getting a refund...caused am pretty peed right now!

At one stage after maybe 5 shutdowns...I actually used my phone and made a video and pretty soon after the Aida Memory Cache benchmark started...SHUTDOWN! I think that points t a memory issue...but there was no record in the Nirsoft Bluescreen Viewer software that someone this forum recommended a few weeks ago for a different issue... Gotta get this uploaded before it all gets lost!

2. straiton

straiton Member

3. OP
    OP
    ibace

ibace Member

Memory been running fine in a different build. This issue relates to a new combination just compiled Friday 19th...and further testing appears as tho the cpu is to blame. Will test in in my other system on a different board and see wot happens...

4. VirtualNinja

VirtualNinja Member

What PSU and age is it?

5. OP
    OP
    ibace

ibace Member

Corsair HX 1000i Platinum...and I believe the PSU is fine...further testing shows me it is almost 100% due to CPU. Board running well now with a 3700X in it...and has been running aida x64 stress test now for 1:58:48 whereas with the 3900X aida stress test crashed after 2 seconds...

[​IMG]

Then I put that 3900x in another build...it passed the speed queen and the cache and memory benchmark so I started aida x64 stress test...within 40 seconds up came the red warning flags...aida had ceased the test due to overheating of the CPU...seems almost definitive doesn't it?

6. ginger_nuts

ginger_nuts Member

Confirm it is the CPU not cooler. Do you have another cooler to try?

I am yet to hear of new AMD CPU to be running hot and cause a shutdown.

7. OP
    OP
    ibace

ibace Member

First system was running a Fractal Design 360 Celsius AIO and the 2nd where I confirmed [in my opinion] that CPU was the culprit...was running a Coolermaster 240 AIO and both systems were reporting normal temps [from Aida's CPU sensors] during normal activities...but once the stress tests were being run...SHUTDOWN! I do not think it is 2 faulty AIOs on 2 separate builds...only the CPU is the common factor...I do have a Wraith Prism I could try; amy do that 2moro...

8. demiurge3141

demiurge3141 Member

AIOs are unreliable. Stick an air cooler on it.

9. ginger_nuts

ginger_nuts Member

So have you at all monitored the temperature during stress test?

It not, I find OCCT useful.

But if the only thing you changed between two system is the CPU, nothing else, and problem followed, you are right, must be the CPU.