System/Network Engineer questions in Support Officer interview

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by synaptik, Jul 26, 2013.

1. synaptik

synaptik Member

I had an interview for an IT Support Officer role recently, it's the first interview I've done in a few years. The position was offering $70K for the following requirements:

KEY DUTIES / RESPONSIBILITIES
    • Provide support and analysis of any problems with computer hardware and software within the organisation, and assist in troubleshooting system problems in a prompt manner.
    • Assist in providing technical support for any software or hardware enquiries for
    server systems and PC network.
    • Assist in restoring from backup, any information requested by users in consultation with the Manager Information Technology.
    • Liaise with suppliers and ensure stock of computer consumables is maintained
    under the direction of the Manager Information Technology.
    • Provide “Help Desk” support to staff on various Microsoft applications, desktop operating systems and hardware.
    • Maintain and monitor the IT service desk software.
    • Administer Microsoft network environment including the creation of new user accounts, security, authorization levels and exchange accounts.
    • Maintain and monitor IP telephony systems (including PABX, IP Handsets and
    mobile phones).

I was pretty happy with my application and had prepared for the interview based around the selection criteria supplied. In the interview I was asked several (maybe 5) scenario based questions such as:

•You are tasked with setting up a new site for 30 users. How would you go about it?

•You are tasked with connecting two remote sites. What technologies and methods would you use to achieve this?

I thought these were a fair bit more advanced than the Support Officer role I was interviewing for and was wondering if this style of question is normal for this level role?

I had a good go at a couple of them but a couple really stumped me. In hindsight the correct answer was probably "Are you aware you are tasking a Support Officer with Systems Architect work?" :)

Apologies to anyone who saw my similar thread over on Whirlpool, I just wanted to see what OCAU thought.

2. damn duck

damn duck Member

They want an architect for a support role price. No real way to win that sort of interview. Just answer as best you can, and be memorable for all the right reasons.

3. NSanity

NSanity Member

A senior support officer who has a view to advance to network design should know the answer to these questions.

I'll agree that these are above the average support officer's skillset - but for someone intending to be earning $70k, you should know the answers. They are pretty basic.

4. damn duck

damn duck Member

When I was asked these questions I stood up, took off my jacket and asked for a white board marker and started drawing switches and routers on the board behind them. They had no clue what I was drawing, but they bought it!

5. FiShy

FiShy Member

Understand CIDR.

6. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Don't be silly. You can just outsource that skill set.

7. OP
    OP
    synaptik

synaptik Member

Thank you all for your honest and considered responses :lol:

Especially you Nsanity :thumbup:

8. Crusher

Crusher Member

THey wanted to see if you have aptitude for things beyond "have you restarted your PC" and "I will reset your password".

9. Dilbery

Dilbery Member

+1 to this, totally agree!

10. AthlonMan

AthlonMan (Banned or Deleted)

Sounds like they got their questions mixed up tbh. Those questions don't really fit the job they've advertised for. :confused:

What were the other three questions like though?

11. Iceman

Iceman Member

This. They're really offering 70k for this job That's with super or something? It's worth 45k base at most, surely. Maybe a bit extra if they start throwing multiple sites / WAN stuff in there.

12. OP
    OP
    synaptik

synaptik Member

I feel I should mention this is WA, help desk roles offer $45 - $50K here.
    From the application materials I definitely got the impression that it was a junior role which is where I'm at at this stage. If they'd mentioned they were after someone with design and engineering skills I wouldn't have applied; still from their feedback I handled most of the questions pretty well so all in all it wasn't a waste of time.

13. looktall

looktall Working Class Doughnut

are you sure you didn't take off your jacket and ask them for a computer to use so you could google IT consultants?

14. damn duck

damn duck Member

Yes mate, I'm sure.

15. blankpaper

blankpaper Member

Perhaps there was no right answer as such, and maybe they were just seeing where your head was at? Some places use this to get a headstart on guys they think can be migrated into the more senior roles more quickly.

16. Daft_Munt

Daft_Munt Member

Great to hear, just keep learning as you go (not just googling). Try and find a mentor if you are just starting out.

17. lavi

lavi Member

when faced with a problem they need to see an action plan, screw what they ask you to do or if it's part of your job description, you don't have to know the answer what you need to know is the workflow to takle it, that's what they want from you