Tabletop & Board games: any good ones?

Discussion in 'Other Toys/Hobbies' started by ni9ht_5ta1k3r, Dec 7, 2010.

1. PsychoSmiley

PsychoSmiley Member

I wish I could find a copy of Space Crusade and it's expansions.

There is also Space Hulk, but that's a bit pricey at $299 from Amazon.

2. Yammingtons

Yammingtons Member

Axis and Allies is amazing. Get that.

3. SaTaN

SaTaN Member

ignore this comment! A&A is painful! (actually, which version are you recommending? the original one (world map) is just stupidly slow and boring), europe is OK, D-Day is fantastic although can be infuriating with the dice, Pacific is unwinable as axis, and it would take a frontal lobotamy to make me want to play pacific+eurpoe combined)

memoir 44 is a MUCH better game if you want a 2 player combat game

4. sirshelldrake

sirshelldrake Member

Chess.

The makers of Axis & Allies did a Japanese version called Shogun that wasn't too bad.

+1 vote for Risk though.

5. RnR

RnR Member

Pandemic is pretty cool - only played it a few times. Finishing on hardest mode is pretty uber - nicely done :)

My friends and I (usually 4-5 peeps in total) have been playing Carcassonne pretty regularly. Awesome game. Especially with the dragon :D Another one we have played from time to time is Lost Cities.

Board game + homemade pizza + a few bottles of red = :thumbup:

6. dreamaxx

dreamaxx (Banned or Deleted)

You guys obv haven't played an epic game of catan with all the expansions :)

7. BoyBoy

BoyBoy (Banned or Deleted)

or Checkers :)

I still remember the days where I use to play Snakes and Ladders with my family.

Does anyone know what's the board game with the counters and the aim is to roll the dice and make your way around the square?

8. stuartm

stuartm Member

Pandemic is indeed a fun game, playing together to win, not against other to do so.

9. mtoti

mtoti Member

I'd completely forgotten about Stratego, great game, wasted many hours playing it when I was a teenager :)

10. redav

redav Member

Whilst I enjoy playing it and I think it is pretty good, I don't know about amazing. I'm hoping to introduce it to my in-laws over Christmas. One of the BIL's loves Risk. I have played it once but because I was used to A&A, I found it too simple and I suspect that because he loves Risk, he'll find A&A too detailed. But we'll see. I own the 50th aniv monstor and am after the revised original. I presently have my brothers original and it's gameboard is nicer than the newer one which I find too gaudy.

It's not that painful. Only impatient people who want instant gratification find it painful. That said, I'd probably agree if it was the monster one that I own because it reckons a full game could take 18hrs, that's a little over the top.

I was a little sceptical about this one when I first heard about it but started playing it as a mate bought it and it surprised me. I'd be keen to play it some more.

I'd vote for Catan too. I have the orig, Seafarers and their 5-6 player expansions. A couple I know have the orig plus Cities and Knights. It's alright but we've never combined them. I was hoping to get Traders and Barbarians for one of the in-laws as I bought him Settlers a few years ago when it was being introduced to our circle of friends. I have just managed to get one of the guys here addicted to it :D

I also have Hero Quest which I have managed to get some of the in-laws interested in it.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2010
  11. SaTaN

SaTaN Member

the 5-6p expansions are great, seafarers is a bit meh. I only played C&K once and found that it added heaps to the game but that didnt really make it better (could be of course that I was just sick of settlers by then)

12. Maelstrom

Maelstrom Member

Read up on some games on Board Game Geek.

Personal favourites:

Catan (all expansions)
    Game of Thrones
    Space Hulk

13. redav

redav Member

Yeah, I like getting more people involved.

Yup, it's not much of a change however I like how it makes for a larger board and introduces some little extra challenges while still keeping the same game play.

Being over a game never helps. I found it changed the game quite a bit. I don't know that it makes it better either as I found the simplicity of the original pretty good.

14. redav

redav Member

International Thread Mine Day today. :D

Some friends of ours are all addicted to Ticket to Ride. Between four couples, we have the main games (USA, Europe, Scandanavia and Germany) and I'm about to get the two Map Collections which give Asia, India and Switzerland. There's a stack of fan made maps out there too.

15. reags

reags Member

Ah good ol Ticket to Ride. Carcassonne is pretty huge too.

I've been playing Guillotine recently and it's pretty fun (and quickish 10-15mins).

Also really digging LOTR LCG. One of the best co-op card games out there.

16. SaTaN

SaTaN Member

good work :)

I own europe and marklin editions and started on the USA board, Europe is the worst of the three (tunnels are shit), hard to choose which of the other two is better (we dont play with passengers for some reason).

We've also got into 7 wonders recently which is a pretty good fast game.

17. OP
    OP
    ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

Funnily enough I ordered Ticket to Ride off Amazon a few weeks back and it should be arriving any time soon. wouldn't mind meeting up with other people and learning to play!

Anyone tried the Game of Thrones the boardgame 2nd edition? same deal: would like to see how the game works.

18. SaTaN

SaTaN Member

You shold be able to figure out T2R in one or two games (even without anyone else that has played before). It is a very simple fun strat game (or a bastardly game if played with certain people :D )

19. OP
    OP
    ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

well i would like to play with people who know the rules cos at least i won't be fighting to keep to the rules with those who don't know them. i tried the game on xbox 360 and i sucked even on the easiest AI level :p

20. SaTaN

SaTaN Member

which version did you get?

rules are dead simple:
    on your turn you can either:
    * pick up two train cards (or one if you choose a face up wild card)
    * pick up more routes, keep at least one
    * place a section of track (remember you have to place all the trains between two cities, not 1 of 4 or whatever) using wilds or the required colour (or any of the same colour+wilds if the track is grey)

setup is just give each player 4 train cards, 4 route cards (they must keep 2 IIRC), and put 5 train cards face up and the rest of them face down in a pile next to the board.

Europe has tunnels and ferries which are mildy annoying, and station are make it too easy to complete routes, and Marklin (germany) has passengers which can be fun but worth ignoring untill you get the hang of the game. Don't know what asia/scandinavia/india add.