1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Tabletop & Board games: any good ones?

Discussion in 'Other Toys/Hobbies' started by ni9ht_5ta1k3r, Dec 7, 2010.

1. swong

swong Member

Recently played a few rounds of the Game of Thrones board game - Interesting game especially if you're into the show/books but can take a bit long if you have 6 players.

For anybody interested, I'm selling off my copy of Arkham Horror + 4 expansions in the sales forum. Fun game if you're into co-op and rpg, but make sure you have enough time - each game can last up to 5 hours (from experience :weirdo:)

2. redav

redav Member

I think we took 2.5 hours to play it between four and three of us were newbies. I'm looking forward to playing the full 6. It turned up at home today but no idea how long before the two expansions arrive. It's USPS so might take a month or so.

3. vespas

vespas Member

Ive been looking for some board games over xmas but could find any of them. Do you know any shops that sell Squatter, Poleconomy and Masterpiece?

4. Brett

Brett Member

They're all probably out of print, look 2nd hand.

5. supasaiyan

supasaiyan Member

Anyone played Carcassonne? Friend bought it over from the US and we were playing it for a while.

6. BFM666

BFM666 Member

i play it with the wifey, she loves it, we play it semi competitively so its not overly cut throat, but everyone should own it. its easy to learn, plenty of fun and plays in a good short time frame :thumbup:

7. whitey660

whitey660 Member

I try to play all games with my wife this way - best to avoid creating any matrimonial disharmonies :p

Carcassonne is a great game. I really like tile laying mechanics. For two player we prefer Carcassonne The Castle.

8. Brett

Brett Member

Good base game, most of the expansions aren't worth the cash.

9. SaTaN

SaTaN Member

The way to fix that is have her get annoyed with you when you "let her win" :)

And yeah, carcassone is definitely a must have. Stupidly easy to teach new people (even non gamers) and a great gateway game.

Which farm scoring rules does everyone use? My version has the version where each city is worth 4 points to the person with the most farmers connected.

10. Sharpe

Sharpe Member

I love carcassone - wonderful game, enough strategy involved but easy to learn, can play as cut throat or 'nice' as you want, doesn't take long to play... I'd recommend it over catan and maybe even ticket to ride.

Played twilight struggle for the first time the other day - took a while to figure out how to play, and will take some more plays to start understanding some of the deep strategy involved. While the game appears a bit dry, I imagine it'll keep me interested for many, many subsequent games. It holds a lot of promise.

Still have war of the ring and spartacus ready to try. My next purchase is likely to be the sails of glory starter kit - love the theme and the starter looks more like a complete playable game than x-wing or wings of glory/war starters.

11. whitey660

whitey660 Member

For clarity, I think you mean only the player(s) with the most farms connected to the city, scores for that city? Known as 2nd edition rules I think.

We use the latest rules version which is score every farm. Each farm earns 3 points for each city that the farm is supplying.

This seems a little easier, especially for non-gamers to grasp. Although I find farms is still the concept new players struggle with the most (for non-gamers that is).

12. SaTaN

SaTaN Member

yep.

For new players I tend to tell them to ignore farms completly, then towards the end of the game I might place a farm on a not-great spot so they see whats its about and hope they will take a much better spot

13. karigan

karigan Member

Anyone in Sydney keen for an OCAU board games meet up? :)

14. Sharpe

Sharpe Member

For me it's always been the person with the most farms attached to any given castle gets the points for that castle and no one else does. I wasn't aware there were other rules?

Also that rule fits in with everything else in the game - have more workers on a castle? You're the only one that gets those points. Have more workers on a road? You're the only one that gets the points from it.

Anyone here played castles of burgandy, memoir 44 (or other c&c games), or star wars epic duels?

Last edited: Jan 17, 2014
  15. OP
    OP
    ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

i would but i have no games....don't mind getting in some board game time before i leave for canada.

16. SaTaN

SaTaN Member

Yeah, there are a few versions of the farmer rules, the newer ones make the farks much less valuable/dangerous.

And yeah, played m44 and battlelore pretty extensively. Worst part of them is the setup/cleanup time. memoir44 is more fun and "realistic" but they can be infuritating when your dice rolling turns an easy win into a flip-the-fucking-board-and-throw-the-dice-out-the-window affair. :tongue:

17. Sharpe

Sharpe Member

Which one do you think it's best? I know I want to get a C&C based game, I just don't know which one. Memoir44 is appealing due to it's simplicity and setting, but ancients is regarded very highly and Napoleonics sounds decent too.

18. Brett

Brett Member

I'm generally the only player to think about farms so I just get all the points.
    The base game with 2 scenarios is free on Steam, if you want to try it out.

19. koolkidd

koolkidd Member

Few mates and i are getting into some board games

So far we have
    Dungeon! (the D&D board game)
    Walking dead (co-op survival)
    Resistance (more a card based game)

We have the World of Warcraft Board game (the out of print one) and the BC expansion on the way which should be fun.

Anyone played any of the following that could give some insight on where to go next?

Descent
    Talisman/Relic
    Dungeon Run
    Bioshock Infinite: Siege of Columbia
    Eldritch Horror
    Game of Thrones

20. Sharpe

Sharpe Member

Damn. Was organising to buy a complete, good condition copy of star wars epic duels from someone on gumtree for about 45 including postage. Then the idiots just give it to someone else regardless of our agreement.

Tried it on steam. It gripped me immediately and I find it enjoyable as a light strategy game. Gives enough 'wargame' without being bogged down by figuring how much defense someone has vs attack, figuring out how many hit points they have left etc. The question is would my fiancee enjoy it... The other question is whether a different C&C game would be even better.

Anyone watch/listen to shut up sit down? A couple of british guys who review board games, sometimes hilariously. As all the other board game reviews tend to be dry and presented by geeks with zero social skills and presence, they're amazing and worth your time.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2014