Tabletop & Board games: any good ones?

Discussion in 'Other Toys/Hobbies' started by ni9ht_5ta1k3r, Dec 7, 2010.

1. OP
    OP
    ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

just the original one i believe:

http://www.amazon.com/Days-of-Wonder-DOW-7201/dp/0975277324/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1333416555&sr=8-1

i was not prepared to dump $100 locally when i got it for half the price on amazon!

2. redav

redav Member

Yes, quite popular and quite good by the sounds of it. Known of it for years but never given it a go. The misses thinks it might be too similar to Settlers but I think I'll get it anyway.

I think I possibly agree here. I'm yet to play Germany as when it was being played by our friends, we avoided playing for some reason for a good year. Possibly because I didn't like being told how good it was and that I would like it. Then we played Europe while camping and enjoyed it and picked up USA for my birthday. We prefer it over Europe as it's not as restrictive and a bit simpler (not that the rules get hard).

Nice one. As the others say, the gameplay is really simple, especially USA as the others introduce other things like risk associated with tunnels, wilds being necessary to build routes and things like passengers and stations. It's the strategy that you'll have fun learning.

I've seen it on the shelves and am keen to hear what others think.

The Asia one has a team play board and India has a rule for crossing the Himalayas (or maybe ranges in general?). Don't know what Switzerland adds, maybe the same as Scandanavia which isn't much if you've played others. We also have the dice expansion (which wasn't too popular with friends of ours) plus other destination cards expansion (along with giving USA regular sized cards!). We even have the card version for when we travel.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2012
  3. dafrizz

dafrizz Member

Roborally !

Robots
    Weapons
    Programming
    Chaos

4. anthonyl

anthonyl Member

I actually invented a board game several years ago whilst in Zimbabwe. "Save The Rhino" it is called....

Was quite a buzz getting all the bits together and finally seeing it sold in all the major department stores. We even got letters from the President of Zimbabwe at the time.

Proceeds from the sale of the game went to Rhino protection.

Had a few games with the British High commission (Zimbabwe) staff who bought several copies of the game.

Im still wanting to do something with the game as it can be adapted to suit various species in danger..and is quite fun for young and old.

Just need to find someone interested in making it here!!

I have thought of taking it up to Australia Zoo and asking the Irwins if they want to get involved....

5. redav

redav Member

I think that's the hard part.

No harm in asking, they can only say no however I'd expect that they would be either overly protective of their brand or slug a large percentage for the privilage of using their brand.

6. adante

adante Member

colonizers of malaar!

7. OP
    OP
    ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

Ticket to Ride = in the country but not in my mail box!

8. Rzeractor

Rzeractor Member

9. Guts

Guts Member

Ticket to ride + 1, just played it again the other day, good fun strategising with people who have played it before!
    Longest track ftw! lol

10. gumption

gumption Member

11. OP
    OP
    ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

anyone in sydney want to hook up and play T2R?

very tempted to get GOT:TBG 2nd Edit, even went to so far as to download the 25 page rule book....eeek much?!?

EDIT: not 25, 32 pages the rule book is. it also depends on how many people play and that effects which houses people can play as there's a set order so you would need 6 players to utilize all of the playable houses.

so if you're playing a...

- 3 player game you can't choose and play the Martell, Tyrell, Greyjoy Houses.
    - 4 player game you can't choose and play the Martell and Tyrell Houses.
    - 5 player game you can't choose and play the Martell House.

So even with 3 players you're playing with the major houses like the Lannisters and the Starks but it also means you can only take certain areas of the map.

12. cavanor

cavanor Member

Wiz War
    Carcassone
    Arkham Horror
    Powergrid

13. Oppressa

Oppressa Member

Get Risk 2210. You can still use the package to play standard Risk but 2210 adds so much more.

14. OP
    OP
    ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

my copy of T2R still hasn't arrived even though it's already in the country!

grrr......

15. OP
    OP
    ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

Guess what came in the mail today?!

[​IMG]

SUPER-FUCKING-YAY!

16. redav

redav Member

Good work. You will enjoy! We played a few games on the weekend. Plus Rivals of Catan.

Found out that some friends have been playing Nordic incorrectly. USA has 45 trains and some spares per colour. Nordic has 45 trains including 5 spares per colour. I think our friends have been playing it with 45 trains. Now it's not a big map and it's only three players however if everyone plays with five extra trains, no wonder it feels claustrophobic!

Also, in the other games the wild cards (locomotives) are used as wilds and tunnels / ferries however in this game they are only used for tunnels / ferries and I think they've mistakenly been using them as wilds when the rules specifically say they are not to be used for regular trains.

Anyway, we still had lotsa fun with them.

17. OP
    OP
    ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

i wonder if there's any Sydney people that are interested in playing T2R.

anyone?

18. SaTaN

SaTaN Member

I'd be up for a OCAU game night when im back in syndey next week

19. OP
    OP
    ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

how many rounds are in a usual game of T2R?

20. redav

redav Member

Could be anything. At a guess I reckon 15ish rounds to put down track, 25ish rounds to pick up cards and say three rounds of picking up destination cards so call it 45 - 50 rounds?

The process is pretty simple once it's setup as you can only do one of three things each round; pick up train cards, pick up destination cards, put down trains onto the board. Read through the rules more than once because sometimes it might take a few goes for the penny to drop.