Tabletop & Board games: any good ones?

Discussion in 'Other Toys/Hobbies' started by ni9ht_5ta1k3r, Dec 7, 2010.

1. redav

redav Member

What games have you been cracking out? We've played Code Names, One Night Ultimate Werewolf, Exploding Kittens, 500, HeroQuest, Quiddler, Qwirkle and Jamaica

Last edited: Dec 29, 2016
  2. redav

redav Member

Has anyone played Castles of Burgundy or Agricola? Both have really high rankings. I expect Agricola might be the more common of the two?

3. k1ll3r

k1ll3r Member

I've only heard good things about both games. Although some people prefer carverna over agricola

4. chook

chook Member

Agricola is great. Classic worker placement eurogame. Has a family version of rules that are good for a first play if you haven't gamed much so could be a good gateway drug to help you establish a regular clientele.

I have been playing a lot of Scythe, Exodus: Proxima Centauri and Terraforming Mars lately. Scythe isn't really a family game but is fantastic. Exodus is Twilight Imperium in three or so hours with a winner so scratches the itch without giving up most of a weekend. Terraforming Mars is a good quick game that Is great with two players but gets even better with three or more players as the contest for board space gets awesome.

5. OP
    OP
    ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

anyone holding a TT event on ITT day?

6. SaTaN

SaTaN Member

yes and yes. Both are great (but long) games.
    Both are worker placement games (well, CoB is maybe stretching that term).

Agricola is all about making a well rounded farm and feeding your family from its produce, your actions allow you to upgrade your farm in some way (getting resources, bui;ding rooms, planting grain, etc).

CoB is about building your city with the best buildings/tiles. You do this by rolling dice (which limit your choices), each die can be used for one action based on its number, but you have options of spending resources to change the roll to somewhat mitigate the luck of the roll.

both are about 35-45min per player and can be brutal if you're playing against someone who knows what they're doing (when you dont!) :D

As mentioned, caverna is agricola 2.0. slighty different theme and allows you to concentrate your efforts to one point collector (agricola hurts you if you miss out on some of everything, caverna is more forgiving).

7. k1ll3r

k1ll3r Member

If it was on a Sunday I reckon I would of but because on Saturday my chances are slim. Are you?

8. redav

redav Member

Righto. I'd heard of Agricola but haven't played it, I've only even read a little about CoB and I don't think I'd heard of Caverna so I'll look into it.

Cheers. I'm hoping to get Lords of Waterdeep soon as we don't have a worker placement game so started looking into a few others. My in-laws have Stone Age and we've played it a couple of times but happy to find a few different ones for ourselves to keep the variation amongst the family.

Also, is anyone using camelcamelcamel.com to track prices and get alerts? How does it go?

Last edited: Apr 6, 2017
  9. SaTaN

SaTaN Member

My group has gone way too far into worker placements.

Off the top of my head these are the WP's we collectively own:

Agricola (and the 2p version)
    Caverna
    Automobile (really brutal but fun game about building and selling cars in early 1900's)
    Castles of burgandy
    Manhattan Project
    Manhattan Project: Energy Empire
    Puerto rico
    race for the galaxy (maybe not really a WP)
    Tigris and Euphrates (again, maybe not WP)
    Fresco
    Viticulture
    Dominant Species

probably a few others too

10. k1ll3r

k1ll3r Member

I have been keeping an eye on Lords of Waterdeep also. It's on my wish list :)
    Never heard of camel website, interested in others opinions also.
    I use boardgamesearch.com.au when ever I'm looking at a specific game. Works great but I don't know if there are any specials on.

Whats your 1/some favourite out of those?

11. SaTaN

SaTaN Member

No way I could pick the favorite, depends on the mood and number of players :)

I will say that viticulture is a game i have no intention of playing again (attempted it twice and both games took way too long with excessive downtime between turns) :thumbdn:
    Dominant Species is good but definitly a brain burner.

T&E is definitely one of my absolute favorites, and agricola is always easy to get onto the table.

12. redav

redav Member

I hate it when a new edition of a game comes out and when you finally get around to trying to get the last expansions you want, prices are twice what the original full game cost :(

13. k1ll3r

k1ll3r Member

What game are you referring too?
    I recently got into lotr lcg and struggling to find good prices on any expansions

14. redav

redav Member

That could be an expensive path :o I priced all expansions for it and GoT and LotR came to 2k USD or more? Obviously you pick what you want.

Carcassonne and Settlers of Catan

15. k1ll3r

k1ll3r Member

Yeah no way I'll be getting them all haha. Just a couple

16. redav

redav Member

I bought the Game of Thrones one. It's recommended to buy a second base set for deck building as the original doesn't have enough for a complete deck. I get that but it's crazy to hear that competitive players recommend three boxes. I think I'd look into the cycles but I'd never go nuts on it. Can't justify it given that we've only played once.

Does anyone know if there's a difference between prints from Rio Grande and what's now the superseded Z-Man Games print? I'm thinking of getting a second set of tiles for if we play 7 - 8 players and I'd prefer to get a set that's identical where possible.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
  17. Sharpe

Sharpe Member

Bullshit like this that completely puts me off buying games like that. Having to buy multiple starter decks or a starter + heaps of other things just to *begin* to play a game is pretty shitty. Then they keep releasing expansions that you *must* get with cards you need to get multiples of to stay competitive. Then there's power creep where subsequent expansions provide more powerful cards so you have to keep up. Then they stop that and release a second edition that you must start your collection from scratch... Or you jump to another game and start it all again. Fuck. That.

Also over Fantasy flight games that have many expansions for a 'full' experience. I bought imperial assault for 110, now it seems to be more like 150-160? And i've barely gotten it to the table a couple of times. So not worth it.

With all these expensive games with all their fancy bits and tokens and convoluted rules, me and those that i've played with most seem to enjoy the less complex (in the way of pieces and nonsense rules) games like coup, five tribes, seven wonders, and spartacus (for a bit of silly fun). Ticket to ride is also often requested, even though it's not one of my favourites ( a little too simple for me). I've also managed to get Memoir 44 out to play more than I thought I would.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
  18. .Radiant

.Radiant Member

19. k1ll3r

k1ll3r Member

I've played it once. It's a great game :thumbup:

20. .Radiant

.Radiant Member

Finally got to play Power Grid for the first time this morning, brilliant game. Layers on layers of cool mechanics and I love how the dynamic of the game can change so much based on areas chosen. In the first game it took us a while to transition from stage 2 to stage 3 and finish up but in our second game people were controlling when to enter stage 2 and simply stockpiled money before ending the game on the first turn of stage 3. Definitely picking up a few of the expansions.

Also anyone up for trades? I've got a few games that simply aren't getting to the table and might interest others.