Tabletop & Board games: any good ones?

Discussion in 'Other Toys/Hobbies' started by ni9ht_5ta1k3r, Dec 7, 2010.

1. k1ll3r

k1ll3r Member

I have never played Power Grid yet, is it really as mathy as people say?

Might be able to do a trade soon but not at the moment as I just traded some games to get Imperial Settlers.

2. SaTaN

SaTaN Member

it gets pretty mathy at the end of the game. The way it works is every round you can go into auctions for power plants, then based on turn order you buy resources to power your plants (where the cost of each item goes up as more people buy them) and then you "buy" cities to power (where you need to pay a set price for the city and then variable price based on connection costs to your other cities.

It gets mathy when you need to figure out exactly if you have enough to do all that in a turn, and can come down to only a few $ to go from a bad turn to a good turn.

That said, its probably the best game overall I own.

.Radiant: what do you have to trade? I've got a fair few untouched games to maybe offload. (bgg username: jdgordon)

3. .Radiant

.Radiant Member

4. redav

redav Member

Gee, it's a game, not science! Mind you, I think one of our players has done that a few times. Good game though.

Scored Caverna for my birthday too. Punched it out, (what a heavy game!) and now just need to work out how to play it :lol:

5. SaTaN

SaTaN Member

Have you played agricola? caverna isnt so hard to learn, its only downside is they gave way too many peices (it should never have been for more than 5p)

6. redav

redav Member

Nope. I'd been umming and ahhing over which one to get but someone made that decision for me :lol:

Yeah, I'd expect that 6 - 7 players would be a bit slow but it's good that 1 and 2 players can play it. The misses and I shall suss it out before playing it with our friends.

7. Maneki_Neko

Maneki_Neko Member

In the words of dwarf fortress... Losing is FUN

It's a great game, but requires a GM with some (general) knowledge of the Warhammer universe as opposed to just medievil settings to get the feel of it right & what's held me back from GM'ing it personally has been that it requires less of a skills breakdown instancing & more ab libbing (requires a lot of rules knowledge; where D&D is easy to reference while planning adventures).

The class systems are excellent and combat is very unforgiving.
    The setting is gritty and unforgiving; players are not gods like level 12-15 D&D characters.
    I'm close to the hunter region (coast side) if your looking for extra players PM me.

8. onggie

onggie Member

Can anyone suggest a board game which is two player coop that isn't sci-fi fantasy and is crime/thriller related?

9. k1ll3r

k1ll3r Member

Pandemic
    Flash Point: Fire Rescue
    Marvel: Legendary

Also, if you have BGG look at this thread :) https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1777686/what-your-favorite-co-op/page/1

Does anyone own Scythe? Seriously thinking about purchasing it, will be played at 1, 2 and 5 player counts

10. onggie

onggie Member

Thanks for the suggestions.

11. teejay_xyz

teejay_xyz Member

Saw this thread on the main page.
    Keen board-gamer here, so I thought I'd jump in.

Burgle Bros - https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/172081/burgle-bros

You're working with the other players, against the board, to carry out a heist. Independently published, order directly from them at - https://www.fowers.games/products/burgle-bros

Yep. I backed Scythe on Kickstarter. Quickly became one of my favorites. Once you get the hang of it, the engine building mechanic flows quite naturally - really well designed in that regard. Intelligent decisions to make, without requiring too much analysis to slow down the game. Just enough conflict to be relevant, but not too much that it becomes just about fighting.
    I've played more games at 3-5 players than 2, but I don't see any reason it wouldn't still work. The solo is also well done, but I've only had a couple of run-throughs so far.

12. redav

redav Member

It took us two nights to try and get through the rules and play a game of Caverna. The misses ended up reading the rules during the day and explaining it last night. There's quite a bit to it but it's more intimidating than it is difficult. I think we could really like this game. She beat me 44 to 33. I expect that's a low scoring game due to a distinct lack of strategy but now that we've played a game, I think we'd be way more structured and targeted in our next games. I think we'll play several games before introducing it to our friends but I reckon some of them will really like it.

13. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

14. redav

redav Member

I'm trying to find some good coop games. Here are titles that we have within our gaming friends / family;

Pandemic (about three copies :lol:) :thumbup:
    Shadows Over Camelot :thumbup:
    Forbidden Desert :thumbdn:
    Forbidden Island :thumbdn:
    Saboteur :thumbup: (has anyone played with expansion cards?)
    Scotland Yard :thumbup:

Has anyone play Robinson Crusoe much (I saw it listed here only a couple of times)? I read a review but I need to read another one as it was more about a whinge of playing games with alpha players and how they assume control even when they've never played it before and others understand the strategy of the game.

What about Fortune and Glory? Allegedly the TableTop episode for it isn't a good representation of it.

15. Sharpe

Sharpe Member

I haven't played it, but i've been curious about it for ages. On one hand, the theme appeals to me so damn much. On the other hand, there doesn't look like there's much actual 'game' to it...

16. redav

redav Member

Yes, the theme caught my eye too but I need to look into another review or two to understand it better.

Speaking of which, does anyone follow particular reviewers be it YouTube or blogs? My SIL follow The Dice Tower / Steve Vasel. We watch TableTop but it's more entertainment / demonstration than review.

17. .Radiant

.Radiant Member

Picked up Roll for the Galaxy and got a few games in over the weekend. Interesting game, easy to pickup but with 3 players it's just a rush to get the most and valuable settlements/developments. Producing/Shipping is just not worth it. I'll probably end up trading/selling this one off, it's a shame really. The dice and engine building is a heap of fun but limited player interaction and the rush to collect planets is really disappointing.

Also snuck in another game of Eldritch Horror, we played the Cthulhu scenario and boy was that a lot more interesting than Azathoth. Definitely upped the game in my eyes.

I also watch Shut up & Sit Down and Rahdo. I find the Dice tower a bit weird, they put out a heap of content but don't really pay attention to their production values.

18. redav

redav Member

I scored Lords of Waterdeep for zee birthday and after I'd suggested it to the BIL and SIL, they saw a review, liked it and bought one for themselves and have been playing it without letting on :lol:

I've read a couple of Shup Up & Sit Down too. Yes, I get that impression about the Dice Tower. Quantity over quality.

19. Sharpe

Sharpe Member

SU&SD are a joy to watch. Funny, informative, insightful. They pay close attention to the experience of the game more than anything. Dice Tower is a pain to watch. Too geeky, matter-of-fact, often focused more on mechanics etc. If you like SU&SD, cool ghosts is pretty awesome and is the video game equivalent with the same guys. Also Regular Features podcast has Matt Lees and a bunch of other folks, and is an enjoyable 'variety' comedy cast.

Also out of the games i've got:

Games that me and my group enjoy:
    Catan, ticket to ride, memoir 44, carcassone, five tribes, seven wonders, spartacus (this one is an oddity), coup

Games that are in the middle - they're enjoyed but don't get to the table much in lieu of other games:
    Castles of burgandy, twilight struggle, star wars imperial assault, star wars risk

Games that me and my group do not enjoy:
    X-wing, attack wing, archipelago

I've yet to get war of the ring to the table even though i've had it for years. It's just such a long game that neither myself nor my group is keen.

Basically the best games have 1. relatively simple rules. 2. enough complexity to be interesting. 3. play quickly. 4. Have a strong theme that makes sense with the gameplay. An exception is Spartacus which is a bit of silly fun, though what it lacks in complexity it makes up for in all other aspects.

Last edited: May 16, 2017
  20. redav

redav Member

Has anyone bothered 'upgrading' their games with meeples, metal coins or even box organisers? We haven't but after upgrading Tokaido to the Deluxe version, having metal coins was a lot nicer than cardboard.