Tabletop & Board games: any good ones?

Discussion in 'Other Toys/Hobbies' started by ni9ht_5ta1k3r, Dec 7, 2010.

1. Tinian

Tinian Member

No I haven't. Are they as good/ better?

2. Strange1

Strange1 Member

Better, much much better :)

3. redav

redav Member

Agreed. Not that there's anything wrong with traditional games but the themes, artwork, mechanics from games over the past 20 years can create a more enjoyable playing experience. You might be on edge hoping to score Mayfair in Monopoly but that doesn't equate to the team who are within a move or two of curing the final disease in Pandemic before one more outbreak pushes them over the edge :tongue:

4. miicah

miicah Member

Any recommendations for two player games? Need some things for the gf and I to play together. Am looking at Hive Pocket and another one I can't remember. You had a god card and had to build buildings in 3 separate stages and your worker could only jump up one level at a time.

5. redav

redav Member

Casual games or a bit more to it? There's any number of small card / dice based games but some wear off quickly. Pandemic is a good one. It's cooperative too so you two are playing against the deck.

6. Tinian

Tinian Member

I'll give them a look. Thanks for the list k1ll3r

7. melatonin

melatonin Member

A mate got silvertower the other week, had a sit down with a few friends and played was heaps of fun, so used to playing with friends online, kinda miss the aspect of getting together and playing.

Anyway Silver tower for around 4 people is a great game, would recommend.

8. redav

redav Member

As in Warhammer Quest?

9. miicah

miicah Member

Yeah I've played pandemic, is it still fun with only two people? Probably looking at 20-30min games at the moment so more towards the casual side.

10. melatonin

melatonin Member

Yeah Warhammer quest, once it's set up and the dice are rolling it's great.

Only issue I have is I'm used to having computer games hold my hand in relation to effect and statuses ect ect, and sometimes I forget what items and cards I have, I feel like a dungeon master app or something on a tablet to hold my hand would be great for noobs like me.

11. redav

redav Member

I see. We'play HeroQuest a bit but never looked into WQ

12. k1ll3r

k1ll3r Member

WQ is good fun.

13. k1ll3r

k1ll3r Member

WQ is good fun. Sometimes I forget about items and what not as well melatonin. Just getting better the more and more we play.
    Played 2 player game of Dominion with wife last night. Its just so easy to start playing and don't have to think tooo much. Great for after the kids go to bed

14. SaTaN

SaTaN Member

Played keyflower sunday and last nights, damn its a stressful game! anyone else played?

15. OP
    OP
    ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

International TableTop Day is on April 28.

16. Biel_Tann

Biel_Tann Member

Only just saw this. Try 7 Wonders: Duel. Designed only for 2 players.

I mean, the ultimate 2 player game is Twilight Struggle but that can be quite hard to get into.

17. redav

redav Member

I scored the Scoundrels of Skullport expansion for Lords of Waterdeep and another expansion for Ticket to Ride; France and Old West so we'll try them soon enough.

We finally opened Castles of Burgundy and we enjoyed it. I think it'll get some game time over the next few months. It seemed like there was a lot to it but it's fine.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
  18. redav

redav Member

We haven't tried SoS yet but we played Ticket to Ride. France was neat in that you set the colour of most of the track (it's mostly empty to start with) and there's track that crosses so when you set the colour of one track, it means the other track doesn't exist. Old West will be a cut throat game as it allows up to 6 players but instead of being able to build tracks all over the board, you start in a city and spread out.

We also have Jamaica arriving tomorrow with The Crew expansion (a recent expansion that we've not played). We've played it a few times as my BIL and SIL have it and it's a fun game (who doesn't like being a pirate?). A rule tweak I've made is instead of players playing both day and night moves back to back, players select their moves but the day and night moves are made separately. This means that you might be trying to attack someone but you end up missing them or maybe you were trying to move somewhere safe and it doesn't go to plan :lol:

And we've been watching The Dice Tower of late too, checking out their top 10 lists and then some specific reviews.

19. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

The Expanse Roleplaying Game - Kickstarter
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1780208966/the-expanse-roleplaying-game/

thedealer likes this.
  20. Madengineer

Madengineer Member

Anybody got a good tutorial video for painting miniatures? I've got some I'm going to start painting, but keep seeing conflicting methods :(