Tabletop & Board games: any good ones?

Discussion in 'Other Toys/Hobbies' started by ni9ht_5ta1k3r, Dec 7, 2010.

1. Lupuscrux

Lupuscrux Member

try Miniac and Tabletop minions are good, Miniac has done a series on 'eavymetal styles and tabletop has Samson on showing how he paints every once in a while

2. Madengineer

Madengineer Member

So I watched a heap of videos, and I'm sooooo keen to do some painting! I originally planned to do it pretty much all weekend, but my damn paint brushes haven't gotten here yet. I've just got a single brush from the kit that I bought, and that's it. And it's not fine enough to do a lot of the detail on the miniatures... :(

3. chook

chook Member

Steam are having a board game sale this weekend. Not as good as actually playing with your friends but when you can't get together at least you can have some fun. I picked up the digital Scythe for USD17 which is apparently a faithful reproduction.

4. sparz14

sparz14 Member

Not sure whether to buy
    Legendary Encounters: Alien
    or Legendary Encounters: Predator
    or Alien vs Predator: The Hunt Begins 2nd Edition

I know they're very different games, but don't know where to start. Any ideas?

edit: couldn't wait - ordered Legendary Encounters Alien :)

Last edited: Aug 15, 2018
  5. redav

redav Member

Has anyone bought or played any new games lately (Legendary aside)? We've been watching Look Back on The Dice Tower hunting for more options of games to look into. We've compiled some 80+ titles, many are just out of interest but I think there's some strong possibilities in there. There's a bunch for the kids too which apparently are really good. My boy's only 5 and he's already addicted to Roll For It! and the castle game (Carcassonne) :lol:.

6. Strange1

Strange1 Member

We started our Son on Castle Panic when he was about 5 :)

7. chook

chook Member

We did too and he loved (and still loves) it. Catan Junior is also good for youngsters as is Forbidden Island.

8. Strange1

Strange1 Member

Bohnanza was also a favourite with our kids when they started off :)

9. iMomOx3

iMomOx3 Member

Anyone ever considered making their own board game? Lots of ideas but no motivation to do so haha.

Curious to see if anyone has made their own and got it printed/made etc. Would love to play/buy a fellow OCAU-ers game if it's good enough.

10. broox

broox Member

Good bit of fun, I play with my kids (although havent played it in a while) I could imagine it being a bit of fun with a few beers and mates around.

Might be interesting to look at Tabletop Simulator (thru Steam, etc), cheap way to work out mechanics and play style, then future production run. I assume that is what Tabletop Simulator is for, lol. I have it but haven't installed it. haha

11. redav

redav Member

We picked up a few games recently, Roll Player and Fantasy Realms for ourselves and Best Treehouse Ever for the kids.

We've only played Fantasy Realms as the other games are for Christmas. It's a 2 - 6 player card game based on hand management and the aim is to score the most amount of points. Each player starts with seven cards and you draw from either the deck or the discarded cards. You're trying to daisy-chain your cards to return the most amount of points by balancing bonuses points, penalties and other elements. When the tenth card is discarded, the game ends and you score your hands.

It's very generic in terms of artwork and theme and we bought it as a filler game but we've enjoyed it as the casual game it is but it's nice to have a game up to six players.

12. iMomOx3

iMomOx3 Member

How much did Fantasy Realms set you back? I'm always after cheap hand management card games as fillers when the crew can't be arsed with a 1hour+ game.

Couple weeks ago but yet to play due to time constraints, I picked up Catacombs 3rd edition. Found the concept very interesting. It's a dungeon crawler + dexterity game. Yep. One person plays the "overseer/gm" and controls the monsters across the multiple floors/levels per round - rooms determine what monsters and how many and the overseer determines their location and actions. The other players play the heroes. Each unit/piece is like a checker piece or a hockey puck of various sizes where players flick their characters across the game board to initiate movement and attacks. Collisions count for damage or stuns etc.

The cool part is it takes a lot of dexterity to play the game well, and there are certain strategies in how moves are made and which characters hit what. Some of the puck pieces are smaller (i.e the rat monster piece is smaller than a 5c coin piece, so it has a smaller target area to hit. Game comes with 6 boards (3x 2sided boards) and they have holes placed in them where you put these bigger black pucks into the slots which acts as barricades/walls that you'll need to maneuver around when flicking your piece.

I found it really cool and can't wait to play it soon!

13. HuggyBear

HuggyBear Member

This is an interesting kickstarter centred on the battle of Schloss Itter near the end of WWII. The story of the battle itself is well worth a read, with Wehrmacht/US/Resistance forces opposing SS forces.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/11606594/castle-itter-the-strangest-battle-of-wwii

It's a little on the expensive side, however DVG games are near impossible to get in Aus at a reasonable price and you can add further titles from the DVG catalog with the same shipping costs.

Also quite a niche product as you're playing against dice/chance, but the theme (and your imagination) should carry it. I love Thunderbolt Apache Leader which is a similar style of solo board game.

Cheers,

- Bear

14. Brett

Brett Member

Had the base game of Zombicide turn up last week, picked it up as it's a thematic match for someone I'm introducing to gaming and not like anything else in my collection.
    Same delivery had Caverna: Cave vs Cave that I bought on a whim, I like the concept of Uwe Rosenberg's games but know I'd never get to play due to complexity and time. This two player version condenses it down to 1/4 the time and simpler scoring.

15. SaTaN

SaTaN Member

Pretty sure Uwe wasnt involved in cave v cave?

Patchwork and Agricola:ACBAS are two of his other small 2p games which are quite nice.

16. Brett

Brett Member

It's got his name on the box and the manual has him listed as the only designer? Same on BGG.
    I see era 2 should be here early next year too.

17. redav

redav Member

I think it was $35 from Amazon but we had that $20 voucher when they opened the AU store and there might have been shipping on top of that (I'd expect so)?

18. OP
    OP
    ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

I've been watching videos of ppl playing Atmosfear and it looks fun. if only they were still making it.

19. redav

redav Member

We played Roll Player a few times over Christmas. We enjoyed it and there's still some other friends who'll get a kick out of it (they've played D&D / role playing games over the years). I also had another crack at Five Tribes again which has grown on me. I didn't enjoy it first time round as we played with a married couple who have a tendency to collude - not fun. Fantasy Realms appeared again which proved popular too and our kids scored Best Treehouse Ever which is a neat little kids game.

20. iMomOx3

iMomOx3 Member

So I've played quite a few games of Catacombs (3rd edition) and it's a very fun and challenging game. I tend to be GM in all / most games when I gather a group around as most people rely on me to explain the rules and control the game.

It's a fun game I can say...but takes a lot of time and is very rule heavy. The complexity doesn't come from the gameplay actions itself but remembering every icon/symbols abilities or how they work, which tends to take up a lot of time too. The shooting and dexterity is fun but when you get people abusing really powerful flick shots that are too fast to see can be quite annoying so I had to start putting my foot down and made players control their shots.

In other news, I picked up Mountains of Madness which I'm really keen to play. The slight party game aspect had a lot of reviewers skeptical (however positive in their reviews) but makes sense with the 'madness' theme of the game and it's not that the sillyness of the madness cards make it a 'party' game but its really to hinder the communication process of the teams interaction with eachother. There's multiple ways to lose but only 1 win condition.