Tabletop & Board games: any good ones?

Discussion in 'Other Toys/Hobbies' started by ni9ht_5ta1k3r, Dec 7, 2010.

1. chook

chook Member

I second this. Castle Panic! is also good for youngsters as while it is cooperative there is also a defined winner at the end.

2. redav

redav Member

Has anyone played The Rivals for Catan? We have the Mayfair Games print and I'm only just getting around to getting the expansions. I was wondering if anyone knows whether the new prints with the branding / publisher change integrate with the Mayfair print? Any idea if there are any changes other than cosmetic?

3. iMomOx3

iMomOx3 Member

Yesterday got my Kickstarter Rival Restaurants Deluxe Edition.

In fact, they sent me 2. I double checked my pledge and my charges and can confirm I only ordered 1 but received 2.

My conscience wants me to contact the manufacturer and let them know, but it will also be a nice Xmas gift especially since money has been a little tight last few months... Anyways,

Had 2 playtests and so far so good. Really loving the artstyle and find the Buy and Barter phase fun. I usually hate game with timer rounds with everyone contributing and speaking over eachother (an element found in Mountain of Madness), however this game has been pretty good with it although I've only played with 3 players so far. Can't imagine 8 players talking all over eachother within a 1min time frame.

That's the general rule anyways but may have to just increase it to 2 or 3 mins with some trial and error.

Overall, game plays well. It is easy to learn. Has some strategy involved with how you want to make the most of your moves, purchases and action ability cards/chef powers. I can see it being very good with 4 to 5 players, possibly 6. Just to provide extra targets to split up as I felt with 3 players it's easy to target someone in particular.

4. redav

redav Member

How did the Christmas season go for games for others? We picked up a couple of cheapies like Monopoly Deal, Skip-Bo and Blokus for the kids. We also added Santorini, Port Royal and Lost Cities to the collection too.

Santorini is neat but I'd probably only play a couple of games in a row.

Port Royal is good and we found the double sided cards nifty which affects the draw and no need for additional components.

Lost Cities has yet to be played.

5. Mynamewastaken

Mynamewastaken Member

Picked up Betrayal Legacy over the holidays. It's my first legacy game and I'm loving it.

We're up to around Chapter 4 and it's a ton of fun uncovering the story and punching out new pieces and rules etc as you go. Still get the jitters though when directed to destroy components. Especially ones that weren't even played! :upset:

6. chook

chook Member

We got about three games of Twilight Imperium in. Two of them were three player games and one five player. Over the coming few years we will actually end up with more players than can be played. I think third edition had an eight player option so could be worth dropping back there if it means more people can play at once.

7. Brett

Brett Member

Not xmas but awaiting delivery of Power Grid: Recharged and Caverna Cave vs Cave expansion. Also preordered the Suburbia CE.

8. iMomOx3

iMomOx3 Member

I recently just picked up the 2 expansions for Disney's Villainous but have yet to play them and also picked up Coup not realizing its not in my collection.

9. redav

redav Member

What other Legacy games have people been playing? I had been tempted to pick up a Pandemic but have't.

We played Lost Cities last night and found it a neat game. I was pummelled by the wife, I found it easy to over stretch yourself (a carry over from Tick to Ride :lol:) and overestimate how many turns you have left.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2020
  10. redav

redav Member

And out of interest, what games do you rarely / don't play or even have ditched?

We flicked Dumb Ass. It was a wedding gift and we tried playing it but it was pretty ordinary. It felt like someone trying to cash in on a variation of Articulate. We also have a version of Pictionary (no idea what version) from our wedding ten years ago and it's still in the plastic wrap. There's some other I think called Wordy Word which has been opened but never played. We've had Monopoly from our wedding too but have only played it once late last year. Fond memories playing it as a kid but I don't think it's actually a particularly good game. We've acquired Monopoly Deal instead which should get some table time. I have a few different Axis and Allies games which don't get opened, the one linked I think is still freshly unpunched.

11. shortielah

shortielah Member

Hey, I didn't know there was a TTG thread! In attempts to kickstart discussions, I'll answer some questions posed!

We're 3 sessions in Pandemic Legacy Season 1 and it is fantastic! I would definitely be making sure you're comfortable with the base game first. We're playing it at 3 and I feel it's the right player-count for it. I think at 2 you wouldn't spread over the board enough and at 4 I think you would be too limited in turns.

Christmas was painful for my wallet. I picked up Quacks of Quedlinberg, Camel Up, Star Wars: Imperial Assault, Azul, Lords of Waterdeep, Saboteur and a few expansions.
    Quacks has been a hit so far even though I have terrible luck, I'm sitting at 0 from 5. We'll definitely be grabbing the expansion for this one, mainly for the 6-chip pumpkins, 5th player board and the ability to 'go-beyond' the existing player board (my wife has hit the end of the board in 3 games).
    We haven't played any of the others yet :(

We've only played a few games of Santorini without the God Powers. I think the God Powers would definitely spice it up a bit more. Unfortunately, I'm better at puzzles than my wife so I beat her 3 or 4 times in a row and now she won't play it again. I'm hoping to force it to the table a few times and play with some other people to see if it stays in our collection or not.

I am extremely jealous! TI has been on my list for a year or so, but I just don't think I would ever get it to the table, which makes me sad. I had one gaming group where 2 other members would have been keen, but 1 just moved interstate and the other is about to travel for a good few months.

I have a lot of unplayed games, so this year we're doing a 40x10 game challenge. The idea is that it will force us to play most of our unplayed, or low play count, games and make some decisions on them. We figure 10 games (ideally at differing player counts, but we primarily play at 2) will give them a thorough test and we can make the decision to keep or throw :). I'm also secretly hoping it will get the wife into Gloomhaven... I've owned it for 2 years but never played it. I think I have a Star Wars IA who will be ready to go in a few weeks, I'm just getting sleeves and sleeve sheets together to make setup/teardown quicker.

I also have backed on Kickstarter: Merchants Cove, Etherfields and Sleeping Gods. I'm really hesitant to continue backing as postage is ridiculous!