1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Tabletop & Board games: any good ones?

Discussion in 'Other Toys/Hobbies' started by ni9ht_5ta1k3r, Dec 7, 2010.

1. Mynamewastaken

Mynamewastaken Member

On theme, been getting a few Pandemic sessions in lately. :D

chook likes this.
  2. chook

chook Member

I really dislike that game but I almost bought it to play if lockdown happens just for the lols.

3. shortielah

shortielah Member

4. redav

redav Member

Maybe we should be playing Legacy instead? :lol:

What don't you like about it? We like it but don't like when alpha players dominate. My SIL refuses to play it due to her experience with an alpha player which is a shame as I think she'd enjoy it.

Are there any games you wish returned to print? I would love to see a Days of Wonder print of Colesseum.

5. chook

chook Member

Too random. I prefer games where I win and lose based on my own choices. It isn't a bad game, just not my thing. Now that I am a little older and (allegedly) wiser I have stopped saying things are bad because I dislike them.

Now, before someone says it, I am aware that there is a random element in most (all?) games but my preference is to minimise that.

6. iMomOx3

iMomOx3 Member

This has just reminded me of something I forgot to bring up in here. I have a very varied group of gamers ranging from casual/party games, co-ops, and competitive gamers etc.

A mate of mine plays MTG, and whilst drawing cards is still randomised, being able to cut decks and play drafting modes helps with this. I recently purchased both season 1 (retail) and season 2 (kickstarter champions) of Dice Throne and this game has been the centre of attention for the last 2 months with hours of gameplay every Friday and Saturday. The more we introduce, the more are getting hooked on it.

It's a fantastic game, and although my mate who is very much similar to yourself - he exclusively plays games where your stance is determined by the decisions YOU make rather than RNG element coming into effect. Dice Throne has convinced him to play a dice rolling game, that's competitive and allows players to 1) manipulate dice rolls and 2) re-roll up to 2 times of any amount of die.

If you want a game that anyone can learn, is competitive, has randomness, but still has manipulation and requires some planning ahead, I would highly recommend this game.

I have backed the KS for Season 1 - Rerolled which is the First Season redesigned/printed to match the component and art quality of the Second Season. Beautiful game, amazing components, and such good fun. You can learn it in about 20mins or a few turns, and non-gamers love it to.

7. redav

redav Member

I scored Sea of Clouds recently so we played it on the weekend.

You are captains of sky ships moving along a track and taking shares of the loot. There are four different card types that make up the deck which is populating three shares. Each player takes a turn where they look at a share and decide if they like it. If they do, they take it and place the cards around their player board. If not, they add another card from the draw deck. If someone doesn't chose any share, they draw from the deck. These shares may have a maximum of three cards and after that, they have doubloons added to their 'value'. So a share might start out as one to avoid but could become attractive after a few turns.

The cards give visible and secret victory points, abilities and pirates for combat strength and a bonus if you win combat. There's conflict every few rounds. You compare your combat stretch to see who wins and then resolve the victory outcomes. After combat, pirates are removed so you build up your strength again.

I've only played one game with my son and one with him and my wife so far. We enjoyed it, it's not deep and you're at the mercy of the deck. It's was a bit of that we'll get faster at but it could be a neat filler. The rules were clear and simple with examples, the artwork is very good and while the components are good, I'm tempted to find some metal coins after doing the same for Lords of Waterdeep :leet:.

8. Sphinx

Sphinx Member

Hasbro are planning a new version of HeroQuest on their Hasbro Pulse site:
    https://hasbropulse.com/products/heroquest-game-system

Hasbro is seeking $1 million USD on its internal crowdfunding system, which they use to gauge interest in expensive toys aimed at adults.
    The HeroQuest campaign has already raised over $865,000 USD with 44 days left to go, but I believe it may be open to US backers only?
    Stretch goals and game expansions kits are also listed.

The original HeroQuest board game, a collaboration between Milton Bradley and Games Workshop was published in 1989, but has been out of print for years.

upload_2020-9-23_16-15-36.png

9. Strange1

Strange1 Member

Wow, they are literally just re-releasing the original game (including the expansions) and want to crowd fund $1m first? That seems really lazy of Hasbro.

10. redav

redav Member

Gee, I hope they play test it first this time :lol:. The original could have been clearer on a few things. Good find though, I'd completely missed this.

11. GTR27

GTR27 Member

Anyone here played Concept? I got it about two months ago and have played with friends a few times. Basically you have to get the other team to guess a concept using a board of icons and putting little squares next to key ideas.

Kinda like pictionary but without the drawing. I got it, because friends refuse to play pictionary against me due to winning. Started off with being banned playing with anyone im close to (Dad, brother) and extended from there. I think im like spergy or something for pictionary, I just seem to get others concepts really easily and they think im cheating :lol:

But concept seems a lot harder, but still fun.

Any other games for 2 couples (that's typically what i play on games night me and wife against another couple)?

12. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

Time for Gloomhaven

13. supasaiyan

supasaiyan Member

entry level boardgames for a 7 year old suggestions? play numerous card games, but want something that lasts longer than 5mins. Monopoly is out

14. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

Cluedo is pretty fun, should be in the realm of play for a 7 year old

15. GTR27

GTR27 Member

Looks cool, but no way would all the people i game with be interested in RPG / Fantasy game.

I've been slowly selling off all my magic cards to fund "normal" board games lol

mesaoz likes this.
  16. Mynamewastaken

Mynamewastaken Member

Didn't you ask this a while ago? Catan Junior, Ticket to Ride & Carcassonne are all good for that age.

Carcassonne, Tsuro & Splendor are all engaging to play, yet light enough to have a few drinks when doing so.

17. supasaiyan

supasaiyan Member

yeah i did, but i couldn't find the post...

18. GTR27

GTR27 Member

I've got carcasonne on PC and its fun to play. I'll look up the other two - thanks for the suggestions!

Last edited: Oct 20, 2020
  19. chook

chook Member

Castle Panic?

elvis and Strange1 like this.
  20. redav

redav Member