1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Tabletop & Board games: any good ones?

Discussion in 'Other Toys/Hobbies' started by ni9ht_5ta1k3r, Dec 7, 2010.

1. Strange1

Strange1 Member

I second Castle Panic! We got it for our son when he was 6 or 7 and it became our gateway game. Co-op games are also a bonus :thumbup:

elvis and GTR27 like this.
  2. chook

chook Member

Yeah, it is a bit easier for kids to work together than straight up compete. What I liked about Castle Panic! was that even though you had to work together there was still a "winner" by points so it helped teach compromise, planning, etc. If you go it alone then nobody wins in Castle Panic!

It has a few expansions as well which we picked up but didn't play them a lot as the game was outgrown really. Now he is 17 and playing Twilight Imperium with me and going to metal concerts. I feel that my work here is done :D.

elvis likes this.
  3. Brett

Brett Member

Thirded.
    To paraphrase Capt Picard...“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness—that is Castle Panic.”

4. Ravennoir

Ravennoir Member

Hi Everyone,

I have seen Gloomhaven is on special on Amazon, but only 1st edition, 2nd Edition is almost twice the price.

Is anyone able to comment on the differences and if it is worth paying for the 2nd Edition

5. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1761512/official-second-printing-change-log

It's not like dnd or anything where there are big changed between editions, it's more like a book - the second printing fixes some minor issues and spelling errors.

The list of changes is quite long though, so might be worth it if you think any of them look good in the notes.

edit: Ravennoir - I found 2nd edition for $165 - https://www.mightyape.com.au/product/gloomhaven-2nd-edition/26764832

Last edited: Nov 19, 2020
  6. Ravennoir

Ravennoir Member

Doh, I decided that sine ive never played, 1st edition would be fine and brought the amazon one (same price)

If its just the book, im sure there is a way to get the updated version

7. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

Book and bases. AMazon will for sure let you cancel as long as the order hasn't been fulfilled by the warehouse

I also saw on amazon some of the cheap gloomhaven 1e sets were in Spanish..

8. Ravennoir

Ravennoir Member

Funnily enough, its the one order I cant cancel

It says english, so if its not I will organise a refund

mesaoz likes this.
  9. redav

redav Member

How did people go over the Christmas with gaming and acquisitions?

We went camping with all my outlaws and one one family had Dragonwood which we'd played at their place previously. A lot of the other kids hadn't played it so it saw a lot of action to the point that they they bought it for the other three families for Christmas :lol:

There were also two other games;

Draftosaurus - drafting dinos to put into pens on your player board (you're populating your own dinosaur theme park) where the pens score in different ways. There are placement restrictions, secret selection and simultaneous placement, there isn't much strategy and no player interaction. It was quick, light entertainment and the fun part is the last move which might make or break your score because you can affect what your neighbour receives.

Here to Slay - you're building a group of adventurers to defeat monsters with two victory conditions, either defeating three monsters or putting each of the six hero classes into your group. Pretty simple mechanics with most things being resolved by a dice roll which can be modified by you and the other players. So there's a bit of take that, hand management, equipping your heroes with items, magic, roll modifiers and challenging some cards when played. I've only played it three times and it was good. I wouldn't have considered buying it myself but it was a gift and I enjoyed it more than I would have thought.

iMomOx3 likes this.
  10. iMomOx3

iMomOx3 Member

I've gotten my KS pledge for Dice Throne Season 1 Rerolled. Basically a re-production of the original season 1 +2 new characters (with some minor changes to rules/balancing) so that season 1 can be inline with season 2's designs, packaging and components etc. It's really neat and Roxley have done a great job with the campaign. I'm a big advocate for this game and regretted not going all in with Dice Throne Adventures and all the minifigs, accessories etc during the campaign. At the time I didn't have the funds to buy DTA and the accessories... in saying that however, I managed to buy a copy of DTA from Guf and picking it up today!

During the lockdown period I didn't really pick up any new games except the ones that were already backed via KS, so I also got my hands on Rival Restaurant: Back for Seconds expansion, and 5 Minute Mystery (another co-op game from the 5 Minute Dungeon designers). Had a blast with 5 Minute Mystery and this game is difficult even on easy modes. Whilst researching some newer games I did stumble upon Here to Slay and I love the artstyle and for my casual gamers that aren't into long games with critical thinking and problem solving mechanics I plan to pick up Here to Slay tonight as well from the same store I'm grabbing DTA. After checking out its campaign on KS and youtube reviews, I wish I knew of the game earlier and backed it for the exclusives and playmats. Will settle for the standard retail and hope someone from FB boardgames market place will sell their KS copy with the lot :D

redav How did you go with Here to Slay's winning conditions? From brief reviews and feedback, seems a lot of groups are adding a houserule where completing your classes to win is removed and only by killing 3 monsters can you win - I heard it was too easy to obtain the classes for the winning conditions. Did you guys have problems with this being too easy?

11. redav

redav Member

Cool, I'll look into 5MM. Friends have 5MD and that's a bit of brainless fun and a few of us like a bit of deduction.

I did see a review comparing the retail to the level which has meeples and standies but the guy didn't realise that those things were cosmetic and not functional and had he known this, he'd have stuck with the retail. I haven't looked at the campaign so don't know what else was available. Might do so.

I haven't played it enough to form much of an opinion (three games and one hardly counted as we were trying to learn it) but I could see how people got to that point as it did seem easier. Maybe another option is that you can only win with having all classes when you have defeated two monsters?

12. iMomOx3

iMomOx3 Member

I don't care too much for the standees but whenever there is playermats involved, I'm a sucker for that stuff hahaha. Makes identifying cards during play easier when you're wanting to see other peoples sections without having to ask is this x or y. Visually, the KS campaign offers a lot of neat cosmetics and fun stuff and I tend to like getting exclusives. But ~$35 for a retail version that offers no difference to gameplay except from the dragons expansion, I can live with that. Once I grab the game tonight I should have some time to play over the weekend with a few mates and will post feedback regarding house rules and flaws we might find.

13. redav

redav Member

Yup, cool, that would be good to know

14. iMomOx3

iMomOx3 Member

Forgot to chime in on our playtests with Here to Slay. It's a fun game and I introduced it to friends who are casual tabletop gamers and aren't into anything heavy/euro or anything that requires too much strategy and time.

These are the type of players who like quick social games like Coup, Resistance, Sushi Go, Munchkins etc. Of course, Here to Slay fits that category and everyone had a blast.

Quick and easy to learn and as per my last comment; we definitely found that reaching 6 hero classes was far too easy. Even when we strategized to attach item cards to change other people's hero classes it still wasn't enough. The official rules also allows for unlimited hero's to be summoned on your board, and of course one of the win condition being to obtain 1 of each 6 classes made this easy to achieve. Simply cycling your hand and summoning could get you this within a few turns and theoretically it is possible to win on turn 2. We then limited the hero count to a maximum of 5 which made it a little bit better.

We then tried to see how slaying only 3 monsters would fair without the classes win condition, whilst it was better and prolonged the game I felt it removed a big portion of the game and made the classes themselves redundant.

Lastly and what we will do for our in-house rules moving forward is to do a combination of both win conditions whilst also limiting the hero limit to 5 + your Party Leader. This worked far better, made for better hand management and also strategizing which hero's to summon.

As our summon limit was 5, we'd need to make sure to summon hero's of different classes and also benefit from their abilities. If your party leader was the yellow guardian, then your aim is to get every other class to fill the limited 5 hero slots. Lastly, slaying 3 monsters whilst having all 6 on the board. This created more strategies where slaying 2 monsters was priority number 1. Then before slaying the 3rd you would be chasing for that full party. Made our games a lot more interesting and you also had to be careful when to challenge and use modifiers.

Coming from a group who loves to play munchkins, that game and much like Here to Slay still fails to balance the take that mechanic. The winner is usually the second or third person in line for the win - since everyone drops their modifier cards right onto the first person who is about to win. My group is happy with it however, they like these party social games so I have fun with them.

Tomorrow I'll do a bit of a write-up around Dice Throne Season 1 re-rolled from the KS fulfilment. As well as Dice Throne Adventures (which I should be playing the first of its campaign this weekend, hopefully!)

Last edited: Jan 14, 2021
  15. redav

redav Member

Thanks for the update. I'll have a chat with the others who play this more. They play with their kids and I don't think they'll change anything it it'll be interesting to get their thoughts on it

16. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

Anyone own 5 minute dungeon and recommend it?

Have you managed to start the game yet? Interested to hear your feedback

iMomOx3 likes this.
  17. redav

redav Member

We don't own it but friends do so we've played it a couple of times. It's a bit of mindless fun if you like that sort of thing but it's not on our radar

mesaoz likes this.
  18. iMomOx3

iMomOx3 Member

I have 5 minute dungeon mesaoz

Would I recommend it? For casual gamers who like short and quick games, I'd say sure. It's not a must have in my collection/opinion but I keep it to bring it for the casual group and family parties with the kiddies. It's challenging and can bring chaos when you're in a panic to meet the deadline. I have the Kickstarter with the Cursed expansion and additional bosses etc. The app is a nice flavour with the timer and suspenseful music and voicelines.

With an older group who've been exposed to lots of other games, this doesn't see the table as much since they prefer more a bit more brain power in their games. But for the family parties with kids ranging from 10 to 16 they all love it and it's very easy to learn.

mesaoz likes this.
  19. supasaiyan

supasaiyan Member

Was at dinner last night, and saw these 3 kids playing this card game. They were putting cards (I think they were banana, orange, apple?) from a pile in their hand and if they guessed right, they would go again. Anyone know what game this sounds like??

EDIT: it’s called “Guju Guju”

Last edited: Jan 17, 2021
    iMomOx3 likes this.
  20. iMomOx3

iMomOx3 Member

I know I've spoken about it a few times in here already and I heavily vouch for this game, but does anyone here have Dice Throne and is a regular player?

I know TableTop Knights from YouTube are from Melbourne and I'd love to connect with people in Victoria to play with but unfortunately the TTK guys are located too far for me to regularly play with.

Also, played our first session of Dice Throne Adventures, doing our first Portal Run in a campaign of 4 people on normal difficulty. Can't wait for the weekend to get onto the first boss!

Last weekend I ended up playing 1 session of DTA, Azul, Ticket to Ride, Reef and Treasure Hunter (a Richard Garfield family friendly card drafting / hand management game).