Tablets as a replacement for Desktop PC's

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by bcann, Oct 24, 2012.

1. bcann

bcann Member

Gday All,

I keep reading and laughing about the "death of the pc" in the last few months which most articles reference the decline in PC sales and the boom in tablet sales. Personally owning multiple PC's at home and a tablet and using desktop PC's at work, i kind of feel that tablets are little more then a fad, and apart from (reading) email and general web browsing, i find them more annoying featurewise and usewise then either a desktop or proper laptop.

Has anyone out there actually replaced there full time desktop/laptop and switched to a tablet (other then a tablet laptop) and succeeded in making it actually useful without a bluetooth keyboard and liked the result? Or am i right that in a few years our kids will be using our old tablets as frisbee's as we migrate back to PC's for general use?

2. FiShy

FiShy Member

"part from (reading) email and general web browsing"

what do you think large of people do for work :p

3. dr_deathy

dr_deathy Member

I can only think of 2 maybe 3 clients (3-4 tablets) who could move to tablets, I support ~1500 computers so thats not a great amount of tablets.

IMO desktop market share is nearly to the low point now. I still come across places installing shitty acer computers instead of thin clients tho. The most desktops i have taken out was 45 to install wyse C10LE's in their place. going from 478 socket P4's to 7 watt 3-5 second boot thin clients was a great move all with dual 24" LCDs as well. I think if you told them they are going to 11" LCDs they would tell you to die.

4. Thrawn

Thrawn Member

Tablets would always be secondary devices in most white collar jobs.

But what you'll see is a trend to thin-client style workspace with the processing/storage side centralized in the office 'cloud'. Perhaps even with the thin client being a docked tablet.

Large screens, keyboard, mouse would not go away anytime soon.

5. Rass

Rass Member

I think there is a push towards more mobility and shared desks in corporate environments. My work is trialling tablets as replacements for some types of staff who only really need access to web based systems and a few custom or Citrix published apps. Seems to work well for some of our staff, they spend a lot of time walking between buildings in the CBD and in meetings. In reality the only applications they use are email, www based stuff like our time sheeting system and some project management apps. Minor amounts of actual input or content creation (I won't comment on the staff's usefulness to the organization, my opinion is heavily biased).

I tried to use an iPad as my main computer, but it did not last. Mine is to compliment my laptop and desktop. Perfect for holding tech manuals and references whilst working on something on my pc. Or testing and documenting our mobility platforms.

You see a lot of this stuff come and go in cycles. There was a push years ago for pda's to provide on the go information storage and note taking, email etc .. Also see it regularly with thick/thin clients.

Thing is, tablet keyboards are not the best thing to type on, and I'm yet to come across a keyboard for a tablet that is compact enough to really stay portable but be satisfying to use.

Also see a lot of people who get tablets and take them home, use them as play things and try to create a need for then rather than using them to fill a niche. I've had massive issues with people doing that - generally they only bring them in when it's time to upgrade the iOS (which they must have NOW). And then everything breaks.

6. s3kemo

s3kemo Member

I don't see anyone at the company I work for replacing their laptop with a tablet. As much as everyone loves (and has) the latest i-device at work, they still seem to have a novelty factor and always seem relegated to displaying the weather forecast, a pretty screensaver or playing music. At best, they'll display a PDF on it when they're in a meeting, but when they come back to their desk you can almost imagine their thinking "OK off to the side ipad, time for proper work to be done".

7. oculi

oculi Member

I can maybe see something like the surface replacing PCs in real offices but not ipad/androids.

speaking of which my work PC just got upgrade from a celeron something to an E8200, pretty sure i had an E8400 or something about 6 years ago as my home machine.

8. OP
    OP
    bcann

bcann Member

ever used it often for replying to a large amount of emails, with lengthy replies its simply a pita. given the majority of phones have very good email integration, i fail to see why tablets will be used for anything more the kid entertainment devices in a few years.

9. Sureshot

Sureshot Member

I'm in the process of organising a Dell tablet/laptop as a desktop replacement, and it will be the first of many as other people in my organisation see how convenient it is to use.

Luckily the PC's here are about 5 years old, so performance from a tablet will actually be better than what they are used to.

10. antipody

antipody Member

I've been using a real tablet as my main PC for five years.

http://www.digitan.com.au/product.php?productid=46431

When I say a real tablet, I mean one with an integrated stylus and keyboard, so you can actually do stuff on it. I use it for most of my programming, wrote my thesis on it, artwork and graphing apps, run MATLAB, Adobe suite, dual boot and now looking at setting up a VM on it. I do have a separate PC at home but I just use that as a server and the odd game. :o

It came with a beaut little docking station with an optical drive and multimonitor support, so I just click it in when I get back home and have a nice dual screen desktop. 8 hours battery life, HSDPA integrated so no need for dongles, magnesium alloy construction, lightweight and idea size screen for portability yet workability (12.1"). Even has felt on the underside so it feels great to pick up and put on your lap. You can't fault Japanese design.

Only downside with this machine is being so old it gets a little hot and noisy fitting so much power into such a little package, but it tends to run a bit cooler under ubuntu (pre unity). Oh, and it wasn't cheap!

Still use it nearly every day 5 years after purchasing. Not looking forward to replacing it as I can't find anything on the market of the same quality.

On the topic of tablets, had to laugh last night. Took my wifew to the airport and we both had a chuckle at the guy sitting down waiting for his plane. He had a laptop on the table in front of him, competing with space on the desk with his ipad and he was typing something into his smartphone. Lol.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2012
  11. GreenBeret

GreenBeret Member

Desktop sales fall due to most people not needing Core i7 or i5 to do the same shit that don't even tax Core 2 Duos. Don't think it has anything to do with tablets. Everyone at work who has a tablet also has desktop or laptop.

12. OP
    OP
    bcann

bcann Member

I put down the lack of PC sales due to a general lack of money out there both in business and personal.

13. power

power Member

I put it down to many people just buy a PC to use email and facebook - tablet has that shit covered.

14. Swathe

Swathe (Banned or Deleted)

Short of using a fully fledged tablet with a stylus and keyboard etc like the one mentioned above I still feel they are more of a supplementary device. They might save have to fire up the laptop for things like email but some work just needs to be done on a normal laptop. I guess this is where the Macbook Air shines.

15. Grimace22

Grimace22 Member

Sorry to dig, was searching for info on the MS Surface and saw this.

Thought it would be good to revise this topic now that there's new models out and see what people think now that over a year has passed!? I personally think hybrids will slowly push their way into B2B, especially for execs and non "power" users

16. tobes

tobes Member

Hybrids will possibly win out however

1. people still need keyboards to bang out long emails and reply to forum posts at decent speed
    2. copying and pasting between docs sucks on 99% of tablets something which I need to do on a regular basis as do a lot of people in technical roles.
    3. you can't display multiple programs/docs on a screen at the same time

If they sort out issues like that then we can progress further with the replacement.

17. sir_bazz

sir_bazz Team Papparazi

Win 8.1 tablets?

I mean the main reason we opted for a Win tablet for our high school age daughter was that it seems more of a productivity tool than other platforms.

Can plug in a mouse, (easy copy/paste), or keyboard via USB, display apps side-by side at the same time.... and thinking of adding the VGA adapter, (make use of the spare monitor I have), to complete her desk based setup.

For the office environment though, I'll always prefer a PC if only so not to have to worry about locking it away or taking it home each night for security.

18. tobes

tobes Member

Possibly, however I haven't been compelled away from iPad for home/personal use and work doesn't support/supply them yet.

19. wullieb1

wullieb1 Member

We are going through this at the moment.

Sales are driving it and management want to go with android but it doesn't really do what we want it to.

20. cbb1935

cbb1935 Guest

The new Surface Pro 2's with full sized keyboard/mouse/screen via a docking station certainly put up a decent arguement for a desktop replacement to be honest.

But at like $1500 for a Surface Pro 2, its not cheap.