1. If you're receiving a message that you are banned from the Current Events or Politics forums, it's not you specifically: those forums have been hidden for all users. For more info, see here.
    Dismiss Notice

Tablets as a replacement for Desktop PC's

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by bcann, Oct 24, 2012.

1. Primüs

Primüs Member

Tablets are great for out-of-office workers i.e. Site inspectors, sales people etc. As long as the tools have been optimised for tablet use too.

On the desk - well personally, my productivity on the desk comes from having multiple large screens. Tablets are small screens and make things tricky. There are steps to combat this issue (the Ubuntu experience for one, being able to plug into big screens and get a Desktop style UI) but they are still very early or not very cheap.

Can build basic workstations for ~$500 or less now days, makes more sense to just have a stockpile of them and just some semi-decent $300-$400 tablets, rather than a $1500 setup

2. dracoMJB

dracoMJB Member

We've rolled out Dell tablets with bluetooth keyboard cases to some of our sales reps. When in the office they have a docking station with full keyboard, mouse and monitor.

They previously didn't have anything on the road, so they do actually like them. I've been using the same setup when I travel, and found it a tiny bit underpowered, especially when connected to a monitor and trying to do screen extending running a lot of things (Outlook with multiple emails open, Word with multiple documents open, Excel with multiple spreadsheets open, VMWare Infrastucture Client, several Putty windows, various other smaller apps open).

For general usage - email, web, in-house apps and CRMs, it's fine. I expect our other laptop users will transition to this setup as their laptops come up for renewal.

3. damn duck

damn duck Member

I have an Acer Inspire W510 tablet running Windows 8.1 and a keyboard/trackpad/battery dock.

I take the tablet out of the dock when I'm making presentations to clients, plug the tablet into the dock when I need to work for 10+ hours and it can run Photoshop, Illustrator and everything else I need.

It's awesome. I can't see myself going back to a desktop.

4. RaZ

RaZ Member

Oh you poor mis-lead people . It easy to replace these days.

ASUS Transformer T201, 300, 700 and the new duet will solve ya problems.

I got the TF201 of course with the dock, that has full size USB, that can power a 1tb 2.5" hard drive no problems!
    It has bluetooth if the laptop sized keyboard is not cutting it for you or the trackpad mouse (Bluetooth full size keyboard & mouse).

It also has HDMI out so you can plug it in to pretty much any PC screen these days. A dongle can be bought for full RJ45 connections as well.

All android based - I even managed to replace Visio!!

The tab come out of the dock easy enough once its unlocked and is very light - IPS screen as well so very clear.

There is no need for me to carry a full size laptop anymore, more so when Citrix is about XD!

Win WIN!

5. newgen

newgen Member

I've been using a Surface Pro, still needs a lot of improvement, built in WWAN port is one simple one.. how did they miss that? No proper docking station etc either.

Have also tried the Dell Latitude 10.. not bad, but only has an atom processor (still zippy for general day to day use).

Trialing the new Dell Venue 11 Pro over the next couple of weeks, might do the job. i5 processor will make it a proper desktop replacement. The click-in keyboard is solid, the docking station is very well built and solid as well with all the connectivity options we need.

6. colmaz

colmaz Member

Work is looking into this at the moment with Windows 8.1 devices. Still unsure as to the solution that they are after :confused:

We might be going a hybrid solution. Some domain joined, some not. The majority of users will be using them on the road with 3/4G connectivity and using Citrix VDI for the Line of Business applications. Most office workers won't need tablets, but I assume that the exec's will want them. If that's the case, we'll end up on standardising on a few models, depending on use case and probably look at putting docking stations in the majority of meeting rooms with screens in them.

Has anyone here played with InTune in regards to managing non-domain connected tablets in an Enterprise environment?

7. Smokin Whale

Smokin Whale Member

I mostly deal with small business but I personally like VESA mountable ITX desktop PCs. Small, flexible, and easily repairable or serviceable. There are a lot of situations where portability isn't needed, and a fixed solution just works better.

I don't see hybrid tablets as a proper replacement quite yet. They work as a supplement for some but that's about it. Also another thing - I haven't checked recently, but most of them don't support dual screen or 1440p+ output, which is very important in many business environments.

8. Grimace22

Grimace22 Member

I'm probably biased on the situation, but the tosh z10t seem to be a good option as hybrids go. Far better than the Surface Pro 2. They do come with a pretty hefty pricetag

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXKjP1A7_dk

9. Matt_NZ

Matt_NZ Member

We're looking at getting our Sales guys onto Windows 8.1 tablets. The Surface Pro 2 would be the tablet of choice but these guys need to be able to still connect to the network out in the field and a USB dongle out the side isn't a good solution. Instead, we're looking at the Dell Venue Pro 11 speced with a built in WWAN card. In addition, the Dell actually has a keyboard cover that works much like a traditional laptop in that it has a stiff hinge that can support the weight of the tablet and hold it upright on its own for when they need to do some serious typing.

We've trialled iPads for this role and as you can expect, it did not go well. While they could access Citrix to do stuff they needed, there is no option of a mouse and there's also no function keys on iPads. It was all just rather clunky.

10. Grimace22

Grimace22 Member

Matt do yourself a favour, and have a look at the z10t. Full blown business ready hybrid.

Full ports, keyboard that acts as a docking station, 4G and local support.
    Surface have no local support, no 3g let alone 4g, and are as thick as a brick:)

I've been putting these things into corporate clients hands, and they love them. especially management/execs and people that are on the road

11. Matt_NZ

Matt_NZ Member

Compared to the Dell though, they're rather pricey (almost $1000 more) and aren't using the cooler running Haswell chipset.

12. newgen

newgen Member

+ Dell Pro Support + Accidental Damage Protection Insurance is pretty good.

13. Cyb3r

Cyb3r Member

What price are you looking at?

The Dell Venue 11 starts at $1000, add a dock and keyboard and your sitting in at $1350, for comparison sake, well go the Core i5 version which would make it $1,099 + ~$360 = $1450

The Toshiba Z10T is 4G enabled, core i5 from Telstra @ ~$1500, with a Keyboard Dock included.

14. Grimace22

Grimace22 Member

OUt of curiosity how much are the dells? depends what level of features you want i suppose.

Btw, toshiba have released the haswell version of the z10t

The telstra versions are stingy though, they dont give you a pen and dont have an anti glare screen, nor do they have big SSDs from memory

EDIT, my first question has been answered:)

Last edited: Feb 14, 2014
  15. Matt_NZ

Matt_NZ Member

In NZ$, we've been quoted around $1300 for the Venue Pro 11, plus another $150 for the keyboard cover - that's not including 4G though (a quote for that should be coming next week). I guess the Toshiba website is probably not the best place to go for comparison, but are the prices you're getting for the Toshiba a special price for a bulk purchase? The Toshiba website lists the 4G capable model as being NZ$2600

16. Cyb3r

Cyb3r Member

Ahhh NZ - that explains it :)

The version of the Z10T Telstra range is a specific model for Telstra, at a significantly cheaper price point then the regular retail. (I think its a different i5 model CPU and 128GB vs 256GB SSD over the $2.2K one listed on Toshiba.com)

There's a Celeron version for about $1,200, and a Core i5 version for $1500, both are standard Retail unit prices.

17. Skit

Skit Member

Have a trial running here as well with the Venue 11. Great in the dock in desktop mode but as soon as any of us try to use them as a tablet or with the keyboard dock they just fail to boot or just go into a restart loop. Very frustrating.

It could be the SCCM client on there as we haven't deployed SCCM 2012 SP1 for Windows 8 support just yet. One of the guys is currently running on a fresh build to see if that proves to be more stable.

Great idea and setup, just not stable for us at all.

18. Matt_NZ

Matt_NZ Member

If they're running Win 8.1 you'll actually want SCCM 2012 R2. Did you install a custom image on them?

19. Grimace22

Grimace22 Member

ye not sure why theyre so pricey on the website??? top of the line unit sells for easily less than 2k over here

20. Skit

Skit Member

Stock image and SCCM client installed manually to deploy apps etc. Have rebuilt a couple a few times now just using the onboard reimaging.