1. If you're receiving a message that you are banned from the Current Events or Politics forums, it's not you specifically: those forums have been hidden for all users. For more info, see here.
    Dismiss Notice

Tablets as a replacement for Desktop PC's

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by bcann, Oct 24, 2012.

1. Jai

Jai Member

Toshiba - 3 Year limited international parts and labour, Australia and New Zealand voluntary warranty includes complimentary courier pick-up and return service

Dell - Next Business Day Onsite up to 3yrs

If its a desktop replacement you probably don't want to wait days of transport with couriers and an undefined repair service level agreement to have your device fixed. It's never going to beat NBD onsite, and that could be quite important to business customers.

2. roger895

roger895 Member

We had no issues running our 8.1 image over these. Running SCCM 2012 R2 without issues. PM me if you need a hand. The infrastructure to get these imaged was fun (finding PXE bootable USB NIC's in particular)...

Sorry to derail further, OP...

3. Grimace22

Grimace22 Member

Dell website says its a 1 year carry in warranty?? you can upgrade it to 3year nbd for about $170. toshibas come standard with 3 year "carry in" warranty, and upgrading to 3 year nbd can be had for less than half that price

4. Publicenemy

Publicenemy (Banned or Deleted)

The school that I attend has completely switched their whole I.T infrastructure from supporting PC and laptops to being solely based around iPads. I think it's about 95% of the school now is just using iPads. I personally think iPads are great, much better suited for my environment then say a laptop.

5. BlaCkAdDa

BlaCkAdDa Member

I just received my venue pro 11 to replace my work laptop.
    However the damn thing wont work on a dell u2412 monitor using display port connector to docking station.. .wasted IT guys whole day yesterday upgrading firmware/drivers and generally trying to trouble shoot it.

Having a play the tablet is ok but im used to playing around with android and i-tablets so you soon realise most of this stuff just aint designed to work well in this format... the keyboard implementation is pretty bad, it doesn't come up half the time you need it and then when it does it hides text you are writing unless you press a button.

also things like auto screen brightness are too clunky to quickly change, even tried finding an 'app' for it with no luck

No way could we roll this out to all the business.

6. Matt_NZ

Matt_NZ Member

It sounds like you're trying to use touch in Windows 8 in the desktop environment rather than the Metro area. This will never work well for obvious reasons. While Windows 8 does try to make things easier for touch in the usual Windows UI , it's never going to be great when this UI is designed for a keyboard and mouse. I suspect if you were to be using Metro Apps, you'd find the touch experience much nicer.

The idea of the Venue Pro 11 and others like it is that it's a hybrid device. When you're wanting to use it as a tablet you use the Metro environment with apps you get from the Windows Store (or if your company is developing them, your companies app portal). When you want to do your usual PC work, you attach the traditional keyboard cover which converts the device to be more like a laptop with a mouse and keyboard for using the "legacy" Windows UI.

7. BlaCkAdDa

BlaCkAdDa Member

Get what your saying, I haven't used enough to really know.

But log in firstly is an issue, must be someway to avoid typing in windows passwords.

Secondly no real way to avoid using office 13 products but that's where I had the keyboard covering what I was trying to type in outlook!... what should I be using for email?

Also doesn't solve the basic problem that it just aint working with a monitor out of the box ... maybe either the port replicator or pad is just faulty who knows... but there's enough threads on the dell site to suggest a real problem here.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2014
  8. QuakeDude

QuakeDude ooooh weeee ooooh

That was the one thing annoying me as well - there are a bunch of articles on the web (like http://http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-security/how-do-i-disable-password-protect-in-windows8/a9ce06ac-08e5-4fac-92b8-817be3cf8946) which show you how to mostly disable it, but mine still prompts for a password if I haven't logged into it for a while (might be due to running out of power too).

Article like this one show you how to make it less of a pain to login: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-au/windows-8/disable-remove-password

9. Matt_NZ

Matt_NZ Member

Yes you can. Have you joined the tablet to your companies domain? If so, on your tablet run gpedit.msc. From there, under Computer Configuration expand Admin Templates, System, Logon and then in there find "Turn on PIN sign-in." Once enabled, you then use a 4 digit pin to sign in rather than needing to type your domain password everytime. You'll need to actually set the PIN - do this by searching for "Set PIN" and choosing the "Set up a PIN" option. If it's not on the domain you only need to do the last part of this - Windows by default blocks PIN login when you join a domain unless you override it either with the Local Policy or Group Policy.

You could use the built in Mail app in Metro which is much nicer to use with the touch interface than Outlook. It's just an ActiveSync client, so you set it up with your companies Exchange server much the same you would an iPhone or Android device. If you don't know the details to do this, you'll want to talk to your IT team.

The monitor thing is a bit weird. When you connect it, swipe from the right, choose Devices and then Project and select one of the multi-monitor options to see if that starts it.

10. BlaCkAdDa

BlaCkAdDa Member

Finally got monitor working using hdmi to dvi

Noticed the pin thing but it was greyed out will try your suggestion.. Meanwhile used that picture thing to log in

Will also check out metro mail app.. Might use for gmail

Any other good tips or links to tips? Starting to find my feet a bit now :)

11. Matt_NZ

Matt_NZ Member

Internet Explorer really is the best when it comes to a touch friendly web browser in Windows. So for that reason, if you install another browser don't let it become the default as IE needs to be the default browser to be able to use IE in Metro mode as well.

Check out the Windows Store if you haven't already as well. While it's somewhat limited compared to say, iOS, there are some useful touch friendlier versions of programs you may normally use. For instance, if your company uses Citrix you may want to get the Citrix App for those times you're limited to touch only without a keyboard/mouse.

I believe like the Surface Pro the Dell has a digitiser display for pen input? If so, get familiar with OneNote! It's excellent when it comes to hand writing recognition and reduces the need to have an actual pen and paper handy. You can either keep what you jot down in handwriting (which is completely searchable while in this form) or you can have OneNote convert it into text. If you go to a lot of meetings where you need to take notes, this is rather useful.

12. OP
    OP
    bcann

bcann Member

MS Surface on Domain

Gday All,

Has anyone had a play with the MS Surface on a domain, particularly GP and real live usage data as far as how they've performed, issues encountered and general usability?

13. GiantGuineaPig

GiantGuineaPig Member

Domain wise they're fine, and GPs run just like any other PC. Imaging is a bit of a different story - you may have to keep some partitions in tact to allow recovery to work, and you'll probably lose the ability to update via Windows Store.

Note they also don't have Intel vPro if you care about that.

They seem pretty sturdy, and currently more reliable than Lenovo Helix laptops/tablets.

14. millsy

millsy Member

Man we rolled out some helix's at work, what a nightmare.

Not sure if the SOE was borked or what, but there has been heaps of issues with keyboards not reconnecting, and they're also just slow as shit really if you have the previous gen ones that aren't sandy bridge.

Not that most of the pencil pushers notice it :)

15. thetron

thetron Member

My experiences

12 were deployed to a bunch of board members. Eventually all the board members got bored and found no use for them

Second attempt was working at school with surface pros. which actually worked out quite well for that evironment... apart from the dock keyboards not working all the time..
    Which microsoft showed up and did a video on
    http://www.microsoft.com/casestudies/Case_Study_Detail.aspx?CaseStudyID=710000004088

Last edited: Sep 21, 2014