Tacho for 1 cylinder 2 stroke

Discussion in 'Electronics & Electrics' started by heavywater, Mar 13, 2012.

1. heavywater

heavywater Member

Hey,

Just wondering if anyone has an idea of how I could build a tachometer for my bike engine using maybe seven segment displays (preferably 0 - 9,999RPM) ?

Thanks.

2. paulvk

paulvk Member

You use the pulse from the spark plug. This is the easy way as you only need a small pulse transformer cliped around the lead to detect it. I think silicon chip had one as a project search their site for it.

Regards Paul

3. mike-s

mike-s Member

Remember if you do this it will be a compromise between fast refresh speeds and ease of readability of the numbers onscreen. Silicon chip mag had an article about making this very thing a few years ago. They may have plans/pcb's for this. Another alternative is maybe altronics if they are still around, they had a lot of kits in their cat'n'dog,uhm, catalog.

4. OP
    OP
    heavywater

heavywater Member

Thanks lads i'll check those out :)

5. dualmassager

dualmassager Member

Most tachos off the self are for 4-stroke, so be careful. Most of these tachos just hook up into the ignition source and measure the frequency.

6. aXis

aXis Member

It might sound overkill, but if you're going to build your own I'd reccomend using an arduino and a character LCD display. The wiring is quite simple, and you'll have more flexability in the display. You could also display more than just RPM, eg battery voltage & temperatures.

The Character LCD's on ebay are dirt cheap and very readable. I'd go for one with few lines but larger font - search for "Character LCD large" - I can see there is a 16x1 with 8mm characters here for only $7.

Programming would also be dead easy - have a regular 1 second timer, count the number of pulses between the start and end of the timer, then update the display.

7. mike-s

mike-s Member

Configure it for use with a twin 4 stroke, problem solved.

8. ywn

ywn Member

i use one of theres on my rotax http://www.alfano.com/home.php

it will tell u speed if u set up the gering and wheel size as it works on revs to determen the speed ( so when idling it will have a seepd reding but once moving its will be fine . it has water temp sensers