1. Check out OCAU's review of the SpaceX Starlink satellite internet service!
    Dismiss Notice

Taiko No Tatsujin on Switch

Discussion in 'Nintendo Consoles' started by iMomOx3, Jul 16, 2018.

1. iMomOx3

iMomOx3 Member

LOVED this game in Japanese arcades when I was there. The locals are insane at everything and I suck at rhythm games but this was so much fun.

Game is set for July 19th release for Japan and 9th August for Asia release.

From what I've read - it doesn't matter which version you get since they will both officially get an English patch update on the 9th of August.

Play-Asia selling the Asia version a little cheaper but won't "release" that out til the 9th of August, so if you're really after the game asap like I am, you'll have to look up on buying it from the Japanese eShop.

Looking at getting myself the Hori drum set too. Anyone else looking at getting this game?

elvis likes this.
  2. OP
    OP
    iMomOx3

iMomOx3 Member

Looks like no interest here for this game :(:(

I've gone and bought the game from Amazon Japan this morning and installed the game - running successfully.

I'll have to write a bit more on the game itself and how it goes with the Joycons tonight (can't play at work unfortunately :lol:)

If anyone's interested and doesn't want to wait until August 9th for the Asia release / hard copy and wants the game now - here's what I did to get it (and cheaper):

1. Create a new profile on the Switch - profiles don't interfere with how games are loaded on the switch so you can still select your usual profiles to play once the games been downloaded (it's really just for saved data purpose). I named mine the same with .jp at the end.

2. Create a new Nintendo account on the Nintendo website, and select Japan as Country/Region.

3.Once step 2 is done, link the 2 services on the Switch console. You'll also need a separate email for the second Nintendo account. again, I used my usal email with - .jp in it to differentiate it for me.

4. Create an Amazon Japan account. You'll need to use a Japanese billing address which you can grab a random address of Google Maps.

5. Afterwards, within Amazon Japan (easier to use a desktop rather than mobile for this part) is to look for a setting called Content and Device Management. This step is a must as when you go to make a purchase Amazon will detect you in Australia - you'll have to add the Japan address used before in this setting as well. Do this step earlier to avoid having to go back when Amazon prompts and stops you from purchasing.

6. Once that's all setup you can go to this link here to purchase the digital copy of the game. Just checkout, purchase, and within a couple minutes Amazon will email you the game redemption code. (If you skipped step 5, Amazon Japan will prompt you here saying your not in the correct region even though your account region and address is set to a Japanese address - that's where the Content and Device Management setting comes into play.

7. To redeem the game, either click on the Amazon link in the mail and it should start downloading on your switch automatically like it did on mine OR go on your Switch using the Japanese Profile with the Japanese Nintendo Account linked to it > go to the eShop > select the orange sidebar on the left > and the last bottom selection shown as 番号の入力 allows you to input the code!

All done. Once it downloads, you can play using your original local Profile. All in all, this cost me $74 (after conversion and credit card fees) on my Visa card as the game turned out to be 5981 yen (cheaper than Play-Asia or the Japan eShop RRP). I couldn't purchase directly from the Japan eShop because they rejected my Visa card hence why I went the Amazon route. Hope this helps - of course, now you can use this guide to buy other pre-released Japanese games and other exclusives in there as well.

Very keen to start playing tonight. English patch comes out on the 9th but the games relatively easy to navigate (so I'm told) and figure out.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2018
  3. OP
    OP
    iMomOx3

iMomOx3 Member

English patch out today....not that anyone cares :(

4. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

I missed this thread. Sounds like you got the digital version. Is there a physical cartridge version, and is it region free too?

5. OP
    OP
    iMomOx3

iMomOx3 Member

Yay. A human being!

All switch games are region free as per the console but to buy the digital version there was 2 releases of the game. A Japan version and Asia version (Asia release is today - which comes included with the English settings for countries like Singapore and China etc). The Japanese version came out on July 19th when I bought it but no English whatsoever. It required a workaround to purchase it (Amazon JP, Amazon billing address etc and JP Switch account / Nintendo account etc, refer to 2nd post).

I think a western / localised version is set but I wouldn't recommend it as it may included different tracks to suit western / pop songs which tbh may or may not work with a rhythm drum game (each to their own). I played it a lot in Japan and playing the Japanese tracks just makes sense to me. It's like watching animes in Jap with subs rather than dub versions - the experience is different.

6. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Cheers for that. I'll see what pricing is like on the physical release. I do quite enjoy these sorts of music/rhythm games, even if I suck at them. And they're pretty fun as silly party games with both adults and kids.

7. MrBS

MrBS Member

Waiting on the western release for Switch & PS4 now, not too far away now.

8. OP
    OP
    iMomOx3

iMomOx3 Member

When you say a western release, are you interested in a localized version with western music or just a fully translated game of the Japanese tracks?

If there was a localized western version I'd probably still buy it but I'm very happy and enjoying the original Japanese version. Once I get home from work I'll be sussing out this English patch.

I've literally just pressed the first selection in the menu and found the song list, and played the game. Haven't touched any 'options' or 'settings' and haven't seen the party modes with worry of screwing something up or ruining the experience by not being able to navigate the Japanese dialogue. It'll be fun to finally try party mode and see what kind of options and toggles are in the game.

9. hippyhippy

hippyhippy Member

Is this this be released locally? If so.. There a release date?

10. OP
    OP
    iMomOx3

iMomOx3 Member

Apparently a localized version is coming on 2nd November.... BUT.... "Current consensus suggests that the western release will keep the same soundtrack as its eastern counterpart, so the game will theoretically be pretty much identical - unless things change between now and release, of course."

Source .

Hard to say at this stage. I went ahead and got it on the inital release from Japan and it's totally worth it. If you want a physical copy of the Asia release with English patch you can check out Play-Asia for it or just get the eShop Japan version like I did and play now which now includes the English patch as of today (same same as the Asia ver).

11. hippyhippy

hippyhippy Member

It's like 80 bucks or more on play asia... Not worth it .. How much is it in japanese store?

Last edited: Aug 9, 2018
  12. OP
    OP
    iMomOx3

iMomOx3 Member

Bought mine for 5,981 yen so $72 AUD.

13. Nightwish

Nightwish Member

I tried this is an arcade in Japan so I'm stoked to see we get a local Western release in A couple of months. It's definitely on my wish list! :D

14. SchRAMBO

SchRAMBO Member

I can't wait for this game to drop on the switch. i'll be a launch day buyer for sure. Even considering about importing in the actual drum kit for it too for total immersion.

15. helpdesknow

helpdesknow Member

did anyone end up getting the hori drum kit for switch? is it good?

16. Nightwish

Nightwish Member

I got it... I'm yet to try it though :lol: I don't really like the song selection in this game, that and I never play my switch in docked mode (the dock is in the box never even unpacked) I should have just saved my money and skipped this game totally :lol:

17. helpdesknow

helpdesknow Member

ha ok - well if you decide you don't want it, let me know and i'll buy it from you :)