Take a look at this: Horrible Wiring Job 240V

Discussion in 'Electronics & Electrics' started by Dark_Merlin, Nov 29, 2010.

1. Dark_Merlin

Dark_Merlin Member

To make a little bit of pocket money, my dad and I service and clean people's fishtanks.

We were called out to an older lady who just moved into a new house, and didn't know anything about fishtanks and needed some help. The whole setup was a mess: bodgy in-wall job, no foam under the tank, glass was cut without sanding the edges, and most of all, this horrible switch bank which controlled most of the 240v appliances within the tank.

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

:wired:

Totally flipped out when I saw it. Dad's a licensed electrician and went in to redo the whole thing.

Who the hell thinks leaving 240v just twisted together in the open like that is a good idea? :sick:

2. CacTuar

CacTuar Member

The best part is how earth has been cut off. I hope that TPS is at least going to something double insulated. But It doesn't look like it is. Is it the hard active to the whole thing? :shock:

3. -KoMoD0-

-KoMoD0- Member

This is why people die and houses burn down

4. darren42

darren42 Member

i'm suprised someone hasn't been electrocuted by that dodgy piece of work :shock:

5. TMM

TMM Member

Jesus fuck, and look at the corrosion on the copper wiring, water/humidity in there :confused:

6. Dodge M4S

Dodge M4S Member

Wow and I thought I was dodgy.

7. Symon

Symon (Plugging your Socket)

Yep, there are some dodgy pricks out there. And people complain about the need to be licensed to do such things.

8. jamesbond

jamesbond Member

Looks like an accident waiting to happen.:Paranoid:

9. kombiman

kombiman Dis-Member

exactly where did the need for a license stop this guy?

10. Zee

Zee Member

Wow, nice work... :thumbup: Could have ta least put some electrical tape on it. Or, perhaps, a 240V connector...

Z...

11. Sledge

Sledge Member

looks like something i'd do...
    except i have the brains to know i know nothing about electricity...which stops me from doing it

12. cbb1935

cbb1935 Guest

Almost as good as the "home handyman" who wired up some lighting in the house my sister and her husband bought.

The previous owner who thought he could fix everything, had standard power cables, cut the ends of them, then cut the ends off the power plug for desk lamps, and wired 3 or 4 desk lamps to the ceiling for "mood lighting".

Then there were fluros in the garage, which were meant to be cabled into the mains. Not for this bloke. Instead he had 2 wires stuck into a regular point point (I shit you not).

Cost my sister and husband about $4000 to strip and rewire the entire house it was that screwed up.

13. Dodge M4S

Dodge M4S Member

What do you mean, just the exposed wires pushed into the wall socket? :wired: Also, why do they have to be wired into the mains?

14. cbb1935

cbb1935 Guest

Yeah .. exposed wired shoved into the wall socket..

The fluros that were purchased were ones that would normally be wired into mains/house, not via a plug into the wall.

Whereas the ones inside where the opposite. Like desklamps, but the end was snipped and joined to 240v behind light switches. It was a real classy effort.

15. psychobunny

psychobunny Member

this kind of shotty work drives me nuts, everyone knows the green and yellow cable is there as a free cable tie, not to cut and leave hanging there :lol:

on a serious note, might wanna ask if the same handy man touched anything else

16. TheOneWhoIsMany

TheOneWhoIsMany Member

My understanding is that anything that is done illegally on a house like the above the previous owner has to fix out of their own pocket even if its discovered afterwards?

17. begrubb

begrubb Member

because being a licensed electrician in australia, means that you have been competently trained, and also you have to sign off your work and notify your states electrical regulatory body which has two edges to the sword. 1: an electrical inspector may randomly check your work and fine you if its not up to scratch or revoke your license. or 2: if the house burns down to your negligence there is a record of who performed electrical work on that house and you can be charged.

18. gentoo-dude

gentoo-dude Member

I have seen some shocking work done by licensed sparkies. It comes down to laziness. All he needed is a $3 terminal block & a few more minutes & it would be safe.

19. TonyR

TonyR Member

Interesting thing about the licensing rules.

I have a tag and test licence. This means that I can take a length of cable, a plug and a socket and create an extension cord. Legally.

I cannot, however, remove a defective plug from an appliance and wire in a replacement. Never understood that.

I do prefer the UK system where you can do anything inboard of the distribution board in your own home - rewire the whole house if you want. But then you MUST get it approved. No matter how small a change.

When I first came to Australia we had an old fibro cottage with steel conduit, cotton and rubber insulation - you know, all the old-fashioned stuff, rubber dry as a bone and crumbling away. So we got a professional in and he rewired the whole place. After he left and before the inspector arrived, I tested it and found two GPO's with reversed polarity. The inspector found those, plus two circuits with reversed neutrals. Just coz he has a licence doesn't make him aware of what he's doing.

20. V8R

V8R Member

nicely done sir, nicely done ;)

not like that botch job in the OP :o