[OTHER] Take ownership of entire Windows system partition?

Discussion in 'Windows Operating Systems' started by benjagan91, May 14, 2018.

1. benjagan91

benjagan91 Member

Good Morning.

I've removed a hard drive from an old computer and I'd like to copy the contents of the entire Windows system partition to a new computer.

The problem I'm having is I don't have ownership of all the files so robocopy is giving me access denied (error 5) messages despite using /b (backup mode). I'm trying to run using the /xj parameter to exclude NTFS junctions/reparse points. Obviously I'm using /e for including subdirectories:

robocopy I:\ C:\oldpc /e /b /xj

It doesn't seem like the commands takeown and icacls have switches to ignore NTFS junction/reparse points like robocopy does - so they get stuck when trying to takeown / icacls the whole I: drive once the commands hit the NTFS junction/reparse points (infinite loops occur).

Does anybody have any suggestions? This has got me stumped.

Thank you.

2. Myne_h

Myne_h Member

If it's a new blank drive, it might be less hassle to use a backup and restore utility.

I like snapshot64. It can back up a drive while windows is running from it.

3. NSanity

NSanity Member

robocopy i: c:\oldpc /e /b /zj /copy:dat /mt

make sure you're running it from an admin prompt.

4. evilasdeath

evilasdeath Member

Why would you want to do this?

The only files that are really worth moving are my docs only, and you should take ownership of them with the appropriate windows (right click > properties > security > advanced, update the owner and all children.

If you don't do this now you will just have problems later on anyway. The problem you will have is the files will be owned by oldpc\username and they need to become newpc\username.