Tarantula Nebula NGC 2070

Discussion in 'The Gallery' started by lazjen, Oct 29, 2013.

1. lazjen

lazjen Member

I've been a long time lurker, rare poster on these forums. Anyway, I've started getting into astrophotography more seriously this year.

Recently I took my gear to a nice dark site and this image was one from the trip. I took this in 2 degree temperatures around 2 - 3 am in the morning.

This is the Tarantula Nebula, the details you can read more about: Wikipedia entry

[​IMG]

Canon EOS 6D
    ISO 400
    12 x 5 min shots (plus darks, flats and dark flats)
    As the camera is unmodified, the image is less "red" than it should be (the in camera sensor filter is too aggressive and blocks a lot of the Ha emissions).

I use a Ritchey–Chrétien telescope (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ritchey–Chrétien_telescope) - GSO RC10 (http://www.gs-telescope.com/content.asp?id=151)

Hope you enjoy the image. :)

2. eukaryote:)

eukaryote:) Member

I've always been fascinated by nebula pictures. Something about the cloud colour just.... :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Like it

3. ThankDog

ThankDog (Banned or Deleted)

So many stars! It almost looks like a pebble-beach. So wish I could take photos like that.

4. Deftone2k

Deftone2k In the Darkroom

Agreed great shot, have processed it nicely that is one jam packed astro image!

Cool nebula :)

5. OP
    OP
    lazjen

lazjen Member

Thanks everyone. I put a fair amount of effort into this one. Besides the stupidly cold conditions (for me :) ), this image was my 3rd attempt at processing it, after getting advice or trying different things.

As I get time, I'll post up some of my other ones as well.

6. adz

adz Member

Nice work :thumbup: