1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Tassie in May

Discussion in 'Holidays & Travel' started by JamesR, Mar 2, 2020.

1. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

We're considering a hiking trip to Cradle mountain around Oct this year. Maybe do a ~60km walk.

The Cradle Mountain Lodge looks incredible.

2. glenpinn

glenpinn Member

Scamander is a beautiful place, has a beach running all the way from the bridge up to Diana's Basin, before you head inland slightly to get to St Helens.

St Helens is great, Binalong Bay and Bay of Fires on the coast from there is amazing.

Then you have the small town of Falmouth, Chain of Lagoons where you can camp, then Bicheno, another beautiful coastal town with some stunning beaches nearby.

You are very lucky to have a house in Scamander.

3. Daft_Munt

Daft_Munt Member

Make sure you book. Also winter gear. Wombats can get dags.

MR CHILLED likes this.
  4. Whoreof Babylon

Whoreof Babylon Member

Booking in advance is paramount! That place can can be booked out for a whole season.

MR CHILLED likes this.
  5. Daft_Munt

Daft_Munt Member

Just chilling at Strathgordon (no google you cannot do it in just over 2 hours). WTF at the 100km speed limit, I barely got above 80. We gave ourselves 3 hours with a few stops. Very different scenery up here, a little similar to the Hartz NP.

6. glenpinn

glenpinn Member

Far out, i have not been to that place for at least 45 years, would have been about 17 i reckon :shock:

Daughter and her friends drove up there earlier this year, they got there, and literally had coffee and then drove back home, what a waste of time and petrol.

What is that place like now, as in what facilities are there for say a day tripper.

7. Daft_Munt

Daft_Munt Member

Strathgordon is too far for a day trip IMHO, at least 3 hours from Hobart (I did stop a few times, roadworks in Norfolk). I stayed overnight. The accommodation I stayed in was basic (old hydro workers area, no fridge or TV), one bloke/hydro contractor from Burnie said he will never stay in the basic area again. They are doing some work on some rooms. The decent rooms were booked out. The hydro staff accommodation (houses) looked a lot better built. At least the place was warm, good water pressure and the hot water probably should be lowered a bit in temperature. Joys of cheap electricity.

Food options were limited, I wasnt happy hearing the hydro workers options in the restaurant were not available to guests. The deep firer gets a work out. I feel sorry for the cooks, limited supplies. The salad was good. WTF why they cannot have a small greenhouse with chooks. I dont generally have breakfast when travelling so no idea.

The place is still a hydro town, my 3G (original nexus) phone had no reception but some peoples 4G worked. Wifi was decent, but I suspect on the government network, I didnt test any dodgey sites. :p

Facilities are basic, for hydro workers and fresh water fishers. I went to Gordon dam. They still have a pool. Restaurant has a bar, pool table, darts. Has potential, but a long way to go. The roads are decent, but be careful, the number of skid marks in the moss shows people have stuffed up.

8. glenpinn

glenpinn Member

Thanks Mate, from all of that, i can't see any real reason to bother going there to be honest, save the time and petrol and go somewhere else, Hastings Caves down south for example.

9. Daft_Munt

Daft_Munt Member

I know rock climbers head up there (adams field, near an old mining site, they didnt signpost). There are also some hard core bushwalking tracks. I checked an old street directory and there was once a proposed road linking it up to Arve Road, Tahune (also similar bush walks), but since the airwank opened, they close the road before the bridge, so I think that is off the cards. I have been to Hastings caves once, the Exit cave system is better but unguided and dangerous.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2020
  10. glenpinn

glenpinn Member

I used to be in the Tasmanian Caverneering Club back in the 70's (now known as Southern Tasmania Caverneers) when Andrew and Roz Skinner were the rangers at Hastings Caves, and i was fortunate enough to have had 3 multiple day excursions into EXIT Cave near Lune River, with Andrew as our leader on each of these trips.

It involved a 5km hike through very thick bush and small rivers to get to the entrance, which was a 4 foot diameter hole with a steel door bolted over the entrance to stop people from getting inside, i recall that we had to lay on our bellies and wriggle our way through the 10m long entrance and pushing our back packs ahead of us as we moved along, once inside we was met with the most amazing cathedral size chamber with a narrow river running through the middle, and the ground on either side of the water was feet deep of sand, resembling a beach.

It was pitch black inside the cave, and we had to rely on Carbide lights connected to our safety hats, and several dozen kerosene lamps to illuminate the cavern for 3 days on each trip.

The cave itself is said to be at least 10km long, apparently at that time is was the longest cave in the southern hemisphere, and the furthest we managed to go into the cave was 1km, after that the air was thin, and it was very dangerous with the river running through cave, also known to flood during heavy rains.

https://southerntasmaniancaverneers.wordpress.com/

11. Daft_Munt

Daft_Munt Member

A friends father did lots of work down there (Mr A Clarke). I know the caves closed one of the Benders quarries, as the water would enter the cave system from there. I never did get to go in them.

12. Scarpetta

Scarpetta Member

I spent four days in Launceston and the gorge was amazing, especially with the chair lift. Had a three course lunch with peacocksb and would highly recommend it.

13. glenpinn

glenpinn Member

You are probably right about it being an amazing place, and it is very popular, and may be the best tourist attraction that Launceston has to offer (there isn't much else up there to see) but i see it more as being like a botanical gardens type of place, somewhere that you would go for a family picnic, but the setting is nice with the lawns and gardens, the pool, and the river next to it, not really my kind of place though.

Not sure what you did or where you stayed for 4 days/nights in Launceston, as i am struggling to think of how i could possibly spend more than 2 nights in the city itself, with 1 full day in between, as there really isn't much on offer there, but i assume that many tourists would possibly base themselves in Launceston itself, and spend a few days doing day trips from there up the Tamar River to places like Beaconsfield, Beauty Point, and George Town, all these places have some really nice tourist spots as well.