1. Check out OCAU's review of the SpaceX Starlink satellite internet service!
    Dismiss Notice

Team Fortress 2

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by japes, Sep 17, 2007.

1. thetron

thetron Member

Generally you find that alot of games have gone mainstream. To the point where a mindcraft user 3 years ago has found out about TF2 and BF3 then transitioned into those games now

It coming to the point where regularly i am overhearing school kids talking about battlefield or next game their playing. Normally 3 years ago this wouldnt happen

2. BurningFeetMan

BurningFeetMan Member

I recall being able to knock them on the head with one accurate shot, but now days I'm finding they're stronger, harder to knock out with one blow.

3. Ethan W

Ethan W Member

From memory, they've always had 100 health. So you can take them out in one with the Direct Hit, for example, but not the other RLs.

One of the main problems with them, IMO is that they are hard to locate when they start shooting at you. I think if they had a laser sight or some sort of projectile trail (which the rockets on LV3 Sentries have), they'd be much easier to find and take down before they strip half of your health.

4. BurningFeetMan

BurningFeetMan Member

Have you played them from the other side of the fence, gone battle engii as such? For the record, I have, a lot. So much so, I click my middle mouse button to drop one in the heat of battle. :)

5. Ethan W

Ethan W Member

Yeah, I have and most of the power comes from the enemy having no idea where it is until they've racked up a tonne of damage. I don't have a macro setup, though, as my spare mouse buttons are bound to reload M4, melee weapon M5 and chat M3.

Plus, considering that Soldiers and Demos are the best classes for taking them out, the higher up, the better.

6. BurningFeetMan

BurningFeetMan Member

Before you start up TF2, setup an engi script for the middle mouse button to drop the sentry down then switch back to shotgun. :thumbup::thumbup:

7. k1ll3r

k1ll3r Member

Can you post the code?

8. Desert_Runner

Desert_Runner Member

I always try to, at least. :p

9. BurningFeetMan

BurningFeetMan Member

I'll check, may have it in the cloud...

You're in luck!

Place this into the following file using notepad;

steamapps/%username%/Team Fortress 2/tf/cfg/engineer.cfg

Code:
    //Middle Mouse Button destroy and drop sentry
    alias "+sentry" "destroy 2; build 2; +attack"
    alias "-sentry" "-attack; lastinv"
    bind "mouse3" "+sentry"

10. Desert_Runner

Desert_Runner Member

TF2 now has Virtual Reality mode!

Link

11. Scroosh

Scroosh Member

My Oculus Rift can't come soon enough!!!

I heard that the crosshairs don't move with your head like what was planned for Doom.

You move the crosshairs with your mouse but can only move them in your field of view so you still turn your head/body to look around but aim and shoot with the mouse.

If your mouse is right on the edge of the screen then it will slowly and/or eventually turn you but nothing like it would when playing the game normally.

This to me is a massive step forwards because even though Doom would of been cool the whole aiming at enemies with your head would of been pretty shitty.

12. BurningFeetMan

BurningFeetMan Member

13. Jaker

Jaker New Member

That's damn cool. Reminds me of the guy from Ghost in the Shell walking around with all the ('low-tech') augmented reality gear. I'd love to try this in Deus Ex: HR or even GTA4 - immersive, open-world, city-based games. Be sweet for driving around in cars. Not sure what it's like for film but if it's any good (and you could get up to 1080P), I'd like to watch Enter the Void with them. That'd be full on.

14. Ethan W

Ethan W Member

Well, I had to dig a little to find this thread. Anyway, Valve just put out a big rebalancing update for TF2. Aside from 2 new maps being added, small tweaks have been applied to most official maps and weapons/items sets have copped some buffs and nerfs.

More info here:
    http://wiki.teamfortress.com/wiki/July_10,_2013_Patch

I feel they've basically neutered the Liberty Launcher (and made the Cow Mangler closer to the Rocket Launcher - inherits same clip size, damage, reload speed), but most changes seem okay. Some really interesting choices, like the Shortstop now offering a 20% healing bonus (while the Milkman set Health Boost is gone) at the cost of +80% push effect vulnerability. The Winger now lets you jump 25% higher. The lesser-used Soldier buffing items are now boosted by dealing damage, Concheror gives speed boost (figured unknown, probably the same as Whip-boost?), Battalion's Backup gives more sentry resistance.

Among other balancing effects, the Chargin' Targe now gives Afterburn immunity (bringin' it up to scratch with the S.Screen, somewhat, especially for Demoknight in MvM, where pyro rounds are painful). Quick-fix got a huge buff - it now overheals 50%. This makes it superior to the other medi-guns in all but charge-effect. I personally would've expected a smaller overheal bonus. Dead Ringer also got a minor nerf, but I'm not quite sure on how it's going to work: "When under the effect of Feign Death, damage taken decreases the duration of the effect".

They've also removed particle collision for most hand-railings, so you can shoot through them. This may either be great or horrible for the fight against mini-sentries (which, interestingly enough, didn't get changed, apart from a bug-fix)...

Thoughts, everyone?

Last edited: Jul 11, 2013
  15. gnarlyrocks

gnarlyrocks Member

To me this is a big one:
    Fixed collision issues on the ladders and hill that lead to the first point

So sick of going up that fucking ladder and getting stuck :p

16. millsy

millsy Member

Oh hello, time to try this out methinks :D
    OCAU gamezor tonight?

17. gnarlyrocks

gnarlyrocks Member

I'd be up for it if its after 8.30

18. Ethan W

Ethan W Member

Yeah, I'll jump on the TF2 chat tonight, provided nothing gets in my way.

I would've liked a Mad Milk health boost, if they're going to take it from the set.

19. CZA

CZA Member

So I guess if you trip DR and get chased by a backburner pyro, it'll drain cloak faster and decloak sooner.. I haven't played TF2 in months, it's doing some game content conversion thing right now but I might be playing tonight!

20. Ethan W

Ethan W Member

Sounds like that's how it'll work, yeah. Or even any damage will drain cloak faster...

Also, that content conversion is called SteamPipe (at least it was in Beta) and it makes everything load MUCH quicker. You'll appreciate it.

Apparently the Wrangler has been nuked to hell, it's just not fully mentioned on the changelog. Rumours of reduced fire rate and range?

For anyone who's curious, the update is 900MB if you're otherwise up to date.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2013