1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Team Fortress 2

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by japes, Sep 17, 2007.

1. BurningFeetMan

BurningFeetMan Member

I check the TF2 site once a week, nothing as far as I'm aware.

Regarding my stutter drama, I've also noticed the odd spot of 20fps on some maps since disabling my over clock (3.2Ghz down to 2.4Ghz on my E6606). I'll be re-engaging the overclock sooner than later, but I still get the stuttering with or with out the overclock. :(

I gotta feeling it's something to do with my P5B-deluxe. After the last 3 years of giving Asus a go, NEVER again.

2. Vassili

Vassili Member

Havent played tf2 in an age, hoping the engy update will come out soon and spark my interest again. Still think the demo unlocks are rtarded, even after all this time.

3. Broden

Broden Member

Honestly they ruined the game for me. I can't stand the eyelander and chargin' tard. They aren't even demolition guy weapons for fuck sake. Haven't played in weeks because of it.

Hopefully the engy update will be something to balance it out a bit more.

4. darth_wolf

darth_wolf Member

i used to play this game EVERYNIGHT for near on a year, got readicted to WoW (dont start, please) then got bored of that (again) and strated playing bc2.

go invited to a pub game last night and i just couldnt do it. it feels wierd saying this, but, i dont find TF2 Enjoyable anymore :(

5. qev

qev Member

lol funny you say that

i just got 33 kills with the chargin targe + eyelander combo

11 heads :thumbup:

6. BurningFeetMan

BurningFeetMan Member

+1 for an unofficial demo update, that removes the sword/shield and replaces it with a clusterbomb and time delayed detpack that only an engii can disarm.

7. DarkNation-

DarkNation- Member

The idea of the Demo unlocks was to REDUCE spam and broaden the class up a bit. Clusterbombs and detpacks would be a step in the wrong direction.

8. Vassili

Vassili Member

That would be cool. A detpack with a long recharge time, that just had a big explosion after X time. I can just imagine it now "WE NEED AN ENGINEER UP HERE!" when trying to cap a point.

9. Broden

Broden Member

The eyelander is pretty spammy

It's on par with backburner pyro - run into a big crowd and try and score lucky crits.

10. SmEaGoLLuM!

SmEaGoLLuM! Member

Lol what??

11. Broden

Broden Member

Meant to say a lucky crit*

12. DarkNation-

DarkNation- Member

It's not a spammy weapon in the same way the pipe and rocket launcher Are. Yes, it can be a bit annoying when you get an idiot charging in and flailing around, but the main difference is the change in gameplay and role. The demo is no longer someone who stands at the back spamming choke points and camping corners, hes actively in the action using melee.

Changing and creating different roles for the classes has been the major focus on all of these weapon updates.

13. Broden

Broden Member

So how exactly is he a demoman now? AFAIK demolition guys don't use a sword.

Oh wait, he's from Scotland. That changes everything :rolleyes:

14. BurningFeetMan

BurningFeetMan Member

It was cool 10 years ago in the original Team Fortress. You could even change the detonation time of your detpack via the console, so no one would no when she's gonna blow! Not only that, but on some maps you could blow a hole in the wall for access to restricted parts of the map.

Older players would remember the "Prison" map, where the point of the map was to release toxic gas, killing everyone who didn't make it to a gas suit. This had areas in which you could blow holes through walls and caves using only a detpack. :)

On top of this, nothing says "I love you" more, than putting a 5 second timed detpack on an elevator and sending it upwards to a level full of the enemy. SPLAT.

Regarding the spam though, I understand that Valve have been extremely anti-spam from the word go with TF2. But then, they were also anal about all other aspects of TF2 in which they let turn to shit recently. One obvious example are the custom hats changing a class silhouette, etc.

Does anyone know of a public poll regarding the love/hate relationship that everyone has with the demoman update?

15. gregpolk

gregpolk Member

He's pretty much a new class with his unlocks. Is that a bad thing? I don't think so.

16. Vassili

Vassili Member

All of the other classes stuck with the same core role. What other unlock has altered the playing style of a class as much as the sword+tard did?

17. Falkor

Falkor Member

Are you talking about ROCK?

18. DarkNation-

DarkNation- Member

What has any of that got to do with anything?

The unlocks are designed to broaden up class roles. The sword is an unlockable MELEE weapon that encourages and rewards and more direct, upfront combat role in game. Its not a primary, and any players who use it as such are complete idiots. It was a bit overpowered and gimmicky before they debuffed the targe and personally I'm still not a fan of it, but its far from game breaking or spammy...

edit: I should say, the targe+eyelander is a gimmick build that is pretty much useless unless screwing around in a pub. The eyelander on its own though does count as a proper side-grade.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2010
  19. BurningFeetMan

BurningFeetMan Member

Ahh yes, that's the one. Couldn't remember the name of it! I also remember the map "Hunted" with the civilian class, also soccer with 4 teams. Red, blue, yellow & green, all killing each other for ownership of the soccer ball.

Good times were had on those maps.

20. SmEaGoLLuM!

SmEaGoLLuM! Member

The demo unlocks were more of a racial flavour rather than towards class design. It'd be like the medic getting a Luger or something. In the end it doesn't matter anyway, all the demo equipment is op cept the melee weaps and the SR. Nade launcher is actually the most op thing the demo has and he always has it. Fast rate of fire, fast reload, massive damage and area effect, can two shot a solly and even if you miss, it will ricochet to some people anyway lawl - aka demo = you will still hit even if you miss. Demos get more around the corner and surprise kills than any other class. People complain about the eyelander+targe and even though the targe is op, it is really the combination with the nade launcher which makes it op. The eyelander+targe by itself is fine. The GL is able to cover your advance and retreat easily or even simply using it offensively since you are a tank vs the explosive classes. All in all you gotta deal with it. It's balanced by the same company who insists on random crits lmao.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2010