1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

REVIEW Team Group - T-Force Dark DDR4 3000 Review

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Hardware' started by headin2001, Apr 26, 2018.

1. headin2001

headin2001 Member

Team Group - T-Force Dark DDR4 3000 Review
    ROG Certified RAM

[​IMG]
    Hey Community,

Finally back with another review for you all. This time around I will be checking out some DDR4 RAM from the good people over at Team Group.

These guys don't have big rep here in Australia, with the like of G.Skill and Corsair having the majority of the market share. Hopefully, with the bigger push Team Group are having in our local market, they will be able to keep bringing us more competitive pricing and something different to the mix for our builds.

[​IMG]

Today, I'll be showing off their ROG Certified T-Force ROG Dark DDR4 kit (model number TDRRD416G3000HC16CDC01). The kit itself is rated for a XMP setting of DDR4 300 at CL16-18-18-38 timing. While this isn't ground breaking for most, they have worked alongside ASUS to bring an extra XMP setting, which allows for 3200C16 timing with no change in voltages when used on compatible ASUS ROG Motherboards. Here is some Specifications to look over before we get to the photos and test results.

Specifications

[​IMG]

Photos

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Packaging on the T-Force Dark is all pretty self explainatary. Inside the DIMMs are securely packaged in an anti-static blister pack for safety.

[​IMG]

Once out of the package, the aesthetics come to life. The Black/Red contrast works amazingly, with the background black sporting a transformer style pattern.

[​IMG]

The heatsinks on these are a 4 piece design, with the Red outer shell screw fixed to the inner shell. This is then attached to the memory IC's via some thermal tape. The heatsink appears to be Aluminium, and has quite a light feel.

[​IMG]

Under the Aluminum heatspreaders, we can confirm the inclusion of Samsung DRAM IC modules. In this case, we have what is known as S-Die (denoted by the 5WS in the code). Not in the same league as the venerable B-Die, but more in-line with timings to match Samsung's D-Die.

Gaming Performance

Results to be added.......

Conclusion

Team Group have provided a nicely balanced RAM kit here today.

For me, I had no issues running on my X370 Crosshair VI Hero, or my ASUS ROG Maximus IX Apex at their XMP rated speeds. Well, on the Ryzen Platform I needed to drop a little speed due to the Memory Straps. The use of the Samsung S-Die IC really helps here I feel with compatibility. Sure, there are other kits out there with better specifications, and fancy RGB lighting for the bling-a-ling, but is the necessary for most.

The 4 Piece Aluminium heatsink design appears to do a fairly good job at keeping the memory IC's temps at bay. I do like the design of them too, but would have preferred the label to have a better colour scheme to match the Black/Red heatsinks. The Blue/White just looks a bit naff. Speaking of the Black/Red theme, for anyone that has followed ROG for a while, this is the perfect colour match.

[​IMG]

At $275AUD, the kit is fairly well priced, beating out Corsair by a good $10 at the base XMP rated speed of 3000C16, and even more if we line up to any 3200C16 kits.

Would I buy, possibly yes. For a pure gaming system, you cannot go wrong with this kit of RAM. Has the speed and timings in the right zone, and price to performance is, in my opinion, also in the sweet spot.

Hotrod2go likes this.
  2. DarkSnipa

DarkSnipa Member

Nice breakdown, where can you find the datasheet for the Samsung S Die? I cannot find this on Samsung website and what's strange is I found Thaiphoon reader saying the 4000C18 and 3200 C14 kit I bought from Team group are using S die.

3. OP
    OP
    headin2001

headin2001 Member

TBH, Im not entirely sure Thaiphoon is 100% correct.
    There is no way S-Die will do those speeds. I havent OC'd them, but think 3400 to 3600 would be it. Anything over 3600 with 8gb single sided dimms will always be B-Die.

The only way to be certain is removing the Heatsinks to check.

4. DarkSnipa

DarkSnipa Member

I had the same thought too as there is no report showing S Die can do such speed and S Die seems like a recent addition, I just updated my Thaiphoon reader to a more recent version showing Samsung B Die, maybe it is time to hit up Team group and see if there any thing wrong with the RAM SPD :(

5. Agg

Agg Lord of the Pings

Any details on the gaming performance? You have the conclusion already but not the results? :)

Hotrod2go likes this.
  6. OP
    OP
    headin2001

headin2001 Member

Poop. Forgot to come back to this.

I have them on my drive still. I’ll upload them when I have 20minutes to spare ;)

7. Hotrod2go

Hotrod2go Member

This is the longest 20 mins I've ever seen... :lol:

sammy_b0i likes this.
  8. museumman

museumman Member

on a plane with cocaine & yes im all lit up again
    I've seen longer :lol: