Team Losi Micro-T 1/36 Scale Build

Discussion in 'Other Toys/Hobbies' started by stereosonics, May 29, 2009.

1. stereosonics

stereosonics Member

Hi everyone,

So after owning my first Micro-T for a few weeks, I've started to collect parts and build a Micro-T ground up from aftermarket parts.

[​IMG]
    Click to view full size!

BRUSHLESS BUILD STARTS ON PAGE 4!

I wanted to build on top of a 3racing carbon fibre chassis but don't have the funds yet, so I've built it on the stock chassis (not bad for $5!!). Aluminium parts are from various brands, 3racing/GPM/Integy/Hot Racing. I purchased 2 "faulty" Micro-T trucks from eBay for around $70, both cars turned out to be brand new and working :D . Electronics were donated from my first Micro-T.

I also built this car twice.... first build failed miserably because I didn't use any thread lock and screws came loose straight away (this is my first RC build). The next day I rebuilt everything with medium strength removable thread locker and it's been great.

Just some notes about shimming the 3r tranny, at first the diff is very rough. It needs a few packs to break in. Without shimming the diff side gears, you will instantlly kill your side gears... I will also try a locked diff later on.

I'm still waiting for these parts:
    - 7.4V 200mAh LiPo
    - Atomic grease shocks
    - 3racing CF chassis
    - 3racing turnbuckle kit
    - Aluminium spur gear

Photos of parts:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Transmission build:
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Shimming the side gear for the aluminium transmission:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    I used Team Associated shim set part #21096.

Rear suspension build:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Semi finished car:
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 23, 2009
  2. Satriani

Satriani Member

where abouts are you picking your parts up from mate?

3. OP
    OP
    stereosonics

stereosonics Member

my local hobby shop had a few spare parts, but you have to look overseas for good aftermarket parts.

4. R3Dl2ULZ

R3Dl2ULZ Member

Can you get some shots of it with a coke can or something for scale purposes?
    It looks pretty cool, are you keeping a tally of costs?

5. OP
    OP
    stereosonics

stereosonics Member

Here's a shot of it next to a Pepsi can:
    [​IMG]

It fits in the palm of my hand, stock car is slightly smaller because they run smaller tyres.

Hmmnnnn... didn't really tally up the costs, I don't want to know how much I spent! :D But I'd say it was worth every cent, it's the most fun I've had with RC cars.

I might sell the two brand new cars I have though, bought them on eBay as 'fault, parts only' but they turned out to be brand new and working. Even came with transmitter and chargers!

6. R3Dl2ULZ

R3Dl2ULZ Member

What's the handling like? Does it use a proper remote or anything? Or is it just full steering lock or straight?

It looks amazingly cool.

7. OP
    OP
    stereosonics

stereosonics Member

Handling is pretty good, very fast and responsive. There is also another model with slightly longer wheel base and it handles better too, it's called the Micro-DT (Desert Truck).

It uses a real servo steering and it's proportional. Remote control is a trigger style with a wheel for steering. Trigger/throttle is also proportional and allows good control of the motor. This little thing has a proper ESC.

These pages have good photos of the car and the whole package.

http://www.modelflight.com.au/team_losi/micro_t_team_losi.htm
    http://www.losi.com/Products/Features.aspx?ProdId=LOSB0230

8. R3Dl2ULZ

R3Dl2ULZ Member

Cool. Thanks :)

I want one now :p

9. OP
    OP
    stereosonics

stereosonics Member

Just received some more parts :)

- Atomic Grease Shocks
    - 2x Atomic BB2 Motors
    - JSH Battery Connectors
    - CVDs
    - LiPo Battery Alarms

[​IMG] [​IMG]

10. OP
    OP
    stereosonics

stereosonics Member

as soon as I hit the throttle, the CVD snapped... d'oh!

[​IMG]

11. kwax

kwax Member

HA! what a coincidence .

I just took out my mico raminator and blew the dust of it. These lil thigns are great fun =] I am charging my battery as we speak. Hopefully it didnt discharge itself to death and can still kick up a wheely.

12. OP
    OP
    stereosonics

stereosonics Member

If your battery doesn't charge, give this a go:
    http://www.microtforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=958

13. holdennutta

holdennutta Member

Looks awesome! Love the alloy parts, but remember the old addage "strengthen something, weaken something else" :)

Lemme know if you're looking to ditch one of the new working ones.. :)

14. OP
    OP
    stereosonics

stereosonics Member

that saying is very true, some weak screws broke and the standard steering links. all that force has to go somewhere... once I upgrade the steering links to balljoint, hopefully those forces just push the cups out of the balls instead of breaking something. I'm also getting a lot better and controlling the car now so crashes are happening a lot less or much gentler :)

I want to sell off one of the new cars, PM me if you're keen for it. comes with original box, brand new remote control, brand new battery charger, and I'll upgrade the standard steering links to flexible metal ones for you.

15. holdennutta

holdennutta Member

PM sent :) :)

Flexy metal ones eh... Should help with the inevitable crashing it into tables and chairs :p

16. OP
    OP
    stereosonics

stereosonics Member

So I decided to play around with the LiPo alarms I bought. These were made for 3S batteries, but they will work with 2S batteries. I couldn't find the 2S version. Each cell has two LEDs, green LED is when the cell is over 3.3v and red LED when cell is under 3.3v. This alarm monitors individual cells, hence the six LEDs.

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=4175

I wanted to mount the circuit board on the Micro-T in a neat and tidy way, so what I did was cut down the LiPo alarm board to make it fit under the cover. You can do this because you only 2 out of the 3 alarm circuits.

Some photos of the modifications on my test/bash Micro-T:
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

What I did was modify the little plastic ESC cover, made a little window and cut out a few bits so that the board would fit inside. I then used hot glue to mount the board inside the cover. The pins are exposed and all you do is plug your 2S LiPo's balance plug in when you're running the car. When it's time to charge, just unplug it from the alarm and into your balanced charger :)

Some notes... this mod is really only good if your body has a clear windscreen, I plan to use a naked body with no paint: http://www.microtforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7560

When shutting down your car, you need to unplug the alarm from your battery's balanced plug. If you don't, it will continually drain the batteries to dangerous levels.

17. kwax

kwax Member

Lol I cant believe you can run lipo in these things. Its insane! I run lipos in my 1:10 cars its just so hilarious and kinda cute(but scary) that you can slap it in one of these tiny lil things.

Oh and sorry to sidetrack on ur crazy lil build. But my micro doesnt seem to work=\ It charges up fine but no response from the esc. Tried almost everything. Ive no idea whats up.

18. OP
    OP
    stereosonics

stereosonics Member

Yeah I can't wait for the LiPos to arrive, it's going to be crazy fast. I hope to hit 45km/h. Losi even sell the brushless upgrade for the Micro-T, I personally don't feel brushless is worth it for cars this size. I will go brushless when I get a 1/18th scale car though.

Oh there's also a guy running a brushless Micro-T with 3S LiPo (11.1v) and his top speed is 52mph or about 85km/h!!

Click to view full size!

Does the steering work? Check if your motor has been seized up.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2009
  19. Bane2

Bane2 Member

Very cool. :)

What sort of running time can you get with a stock version of these?

20. OP
    OP
    stereosonics

stereosonics Member

On the standard battery you get about 5-10mins, depending how you drive it and where u drive it. Driving it outdoors on rough surface will drain the batteries faster because you tend to go full speed and do some drifts :)

Once you upgrade the plastic bushings to ball bearings, battery time improves and you also get more speed. Same applies for upgrading to a ball bearing motor and CVs.

With LiPo you get twice the running time and the ability to go a lot faster. More voltage/higher mAh/higher discharge.