1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Team Xtreem 2 x 2GB Kit Review (mini!)

Discussion in 'Memory' started by higherdestiny, Jul 25, 2008.

1. higherdestiny

higherdestiny Member

OK.

So after my ballistix 4GB sets failed, I decided to switch to another brand while waiting for RMA.
    The chosen ones were Team eXtreem Dark 1066Mhz 4GB Kits (2x2GB). (Two Sets) for a total of 8GB ram.
    My "old" ballistix would run at 1000Mhz, 5-5-5-18, 2.2v but would fail after many minutes of orthos stress testing - most probably due to their well known failure rate!
    So my (very small) review of the Team Extreem Dark 1066:

Team Extreem Dark 1066Mhz 4GB Kits

Price:

Excelent. Purchased two kits from Umart QLD at $139.00 each. Very reasonable price for the rated performance of these kits.

Packaging:

While packaging only lasts as long as the trip home from the computer store, it's still an important part of the whole experience. The Kits were well packaged in slim green cardboard packs - complete with a clear window so you can see the nicely placed (and well protected) ram. Opening the package reveals two dimms (per kit) seated in foam cushoning, wrapped in static wrap. Nicely done.

Physical:

The dimms have a great yet understated look to them. The heat spreader is a dark brown/grey colour with some nice intricate work on the sides (a large X, followed by a small 'treem'). The headspreader covers both sides, but does not round over the top of the module like some brands of ram. This helps with thermal flow and actually looks really nice - appearing as two lines of silver metal from above, with the pcb wedged in between. The pcb rises slightly higher than the two heatspreader components on each side.

There are no LEDs, no bling - just pure unadulterated ram :) Understated, yet menacing.

Rated Speeds:

These puppies are rated at 1066Mhz, 5-5-5-15, 2.2-2.3v. Not bad for a 4GB kit. My goal was to run with all 4 sticks of ram (2 kits) and still hold on to high speed settings (which are often more difficult to obtain when running a full 4 banks of ram). My second goal was to run a little cooler, as my ballistix were burning hot!

First attempt:

My first run involved sticking in all 4 dimms of new ram and simply booting with every setting set to AUTO in bios (except ram at 2.2v). The system booted with ram at 1003Mhz and proceeded to load into windows. Everything worked just fine! Success!

Second attempt:

Changing my bios settings to force a 1000Mhz ram clock, and locking the timings to 5-5-5-18, I then lowered the voltage to a mere 2.0v and rebooted. After booting into windows without a problem, I ran orthos stress test for 30 minutes without a single problem - seems stable!

Third attempt:

Coming soon! <will update when I get a chance to push these further>

Temperatures:

Quite happy with temps. Even at 2.2v, these seem slightly cooler than the tracers were. Being able to drop the volts down to 2.0v and stay at 1000Mhz is great, as my ram is running even cooler again!

Final Thoughts:

While it's a little too early to make a full summary, I'm extremely happy thus far. Rock solid (so far) and doesn't seem to be struggling with some decent speeds across all 4 dimms at a lower than rated voltage. Quite happy! Team Extreem has done well!

2. Sub.Zer0

Sub.Zer0 (Banned or Deleted)

Nice work dude. I'll spoil your fun and tell you that these do 1080 5-5-5-15 at 2.0v memtest stable. :thumbup:

Very happy with these myself.

3. BlackSniper87

BlackSniper87 Member

sweet dude good purchase i went the safe route with my corsair dominators but they look pretty cool and run great!

4. OP
    OP
    higherdestiny

higherdestiny Member

I'm interested to know if they can handle something like 1000Mhz 4-4-4-12, 2.1v :)

5. Sub.Zer0

Nope sorry dude, no chance, I tried this with up to 2.4V (these sticks don't like voltage) and no joy.

6. shawns_maggot

shawns_maggot Member

Nice little review mate.There isn't too much news of these sticks around the net.Does anyone know what IC's they use?

7. Sub.Zer0

Powerchip IC's. they OC quite well but don't like voltage.

8. LostBenji

LostBenji Member

I have been using Team Ellite 2GB sticks (4 of them for 8GB) for 8 months now I must say, excellent value. Never had any issues with my own or customers that I have built systems for (quite a a few).

One thing to note here is that alot of boards dont like trying to run 4 DIMMs at high speeds and some work better with 800 speeds. This is where maybe going for the 800 4-4-4-12 stuff and use the tighter timings. Really comes down to what bus speeds people are running. I personally use 425Mhz for 850 @ the RAM and its sweet 5-5-5-15 @ 1.8V

My next purchase will be more Team RAM.

9. stablez

stablez Member

There is some nice Team Extreem ddr3 1800mhz on the market.
    they were one of the earliest...

10. shawns_maggot

shawns_maggot Member

They use the same IC's as the G.Skill Pi stuff.Might just have to grab some Team if they are much cheaper :thumbup:

11. pantner

pantner Member

i love TX ram...running the DDR2 800 4-4-4-12 kit in my main rig....currently @ DDR2-1066 5-5-5-15 2.1v (i think)

haven't played with it that much though...

12. Smakked

Smakked Member

nice i just ordered some about 2 hours ago :D

13. 2_stroke

2_stroke Member

went the dark 800 2x2gb kit myself but i'am sticking to a 400fsb (9x400) on my e3110. After seeing this i wish a paid a little extra for the 1066 kit but i'am still happy and love there memory :)

14. Shunnned

Shunnned New Member

Cant seem the get my dark 1066s to work! Im on a GA P35-DS3 mobo. Q6600.
    I upped the ram voltage by +0.4 so that the rams run at 2.2, clocked them to 800mhz 5-5-5-18... no luck... somebody save me! do i need to up MCH and FSB voltage?

15. Intercept

Intercept (Banned or Deleted)

hey dude i have the same mobo and same ram. Its definately a compatibility issue as my ram is not stable on the board and it seems after some googling nobodies team xtreem dark ram is stable on this board.

Cheers,

Intercept

16. stablez

stablez Member

So with some ram on mobo's you cant get a stable cloxck.
    Maybe thats why i couldnt get 4x1gb of Kingston HX at 440fsb blend test error?

17. pantner

pantner Member

thats different. thats 4 sticks. It is harder to overclock with 4 sticks of ram because it puts more stress on the memory controller.

these people are having trouble running stock settings.

i would e-mail Gigabyte about the RAM. They have been helpful in sending me beta bioses when i had trouble with their motherboards. make sure you report it, they may not know of any compatability problems!

18. stablez

stablez Member

Its at its best now with 2 ram slots used with 2x2gb of crucial ddr2-800.
    OK now:Pirate:

19. pantner

pantner Member

i was telling the people with the GA P35-DS3 to e-mail gigabyte about it :thumbup:

20. FatBoyNotSoSlim

FatBoyNotSoSlim Member

I was playing around with my sticks last night and was able to do 5-5-5-15 2.0v upto 1105mhz.

Between 1105 and 1110 is a bit iffy, but over 1110 and I was getting memtest errors.

I love this ram!