[TeamAU] GIGABYTE OC Lab had its first visitors, world records broken +video added

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Hardware' started by dinos22, Apr 26, 2013.

1. dinos22

dinos22 Member

You may or may not have heard about the grand opening of GIGABYTE's new OC Lab but there was one key ingredient missing, extreme overclockers and thousands of litres of LN2. I'm pleased to say I've been present at GIGABYTE HQ in the past week to tick that box and give you a snippet of days of great fun, and to top it off, some excellent records achieved.

TeamAU (youngpro, sniperOz & dinos22) were among the overclockers to try the lab. Mad222 & KK from Hong Kong as well as a man machine from OcUK that goes by the name "8pack" gave the lab a go. Resident overclocker hicookie was on hand as well.

[​IMG]

One does not simply enter a lab without LN2 hitting through the roof!

[​IMG]

Can't have a lab looking too clean without any high end gear laying about so we got to work pretty fast with the GIGABYTE X79-UD7 and 4WAY GTX Titans and also Z77X-UP7.

[​IMG]

Stock GTX Titans received some mods in form of an unofficially named ?G-Power? board by HWBOT last week.
    It is essentially CPU power delivery system you see on GIGABYTE's UP series motherboards with 60Amp MOSFETs and chokes.
    GTX Titan was definitely giving it a workout with a single card drawing up to 260Amps (we were seeing individual mosfets hitting up to 48Amps on the power board).
    In laymens terms it probably needed the same power as that DeLorean in Back To The Future to time travel hahah! Crazy stuff.

Youngpro and hicookie soldering liquorice looking cables to the power board below to hopefully provide stable enough power delivery and it sure did with two cards tested both clocking to 1800MHz and beyond.

[​IMG]

SIGNIFICANT RESULTS:

CPUz 3770K frequency FIRST PLACE on Z77X-UP7 & 3770K @7186.54MHz

3DMARK Vantage FIRST PLACE 1xGPU, X79-UD7 & GTX Titan @66204points

3DMARK03 FIRST PLACE 1xGPU, Z77X-UP7 & GTX Titan @229511points

3DMARK11 SECOND PLACE 1xGPU, X79-UD7 & GTX Titan @21266points

I kicked things off on Sunday with a new 3770K frequency world record with help of youngpro and his straw technique with a new 7186.54MHz.
    This score was achieved on all 4 cores with low volts with liquid nitrogen!
    Pretty cool to see we could pass the two liquid helium scores that were on top of the charts before this result :)
    GIGABYTE Z77X-UP7 was the board of choice for this chart topping score of course!

[​IMG]

SniperOz, 8pack and youngpro got to work on the X79-UD7 platform with some single card GTX Titan scores snatching single card world record in 3DMARK Vantage and second place in 3DMARK11.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8pack from OcUK and hicookie dropped the final score from the session with a 3DMARK03 world record on single GPU using GIGABYTE Z77X-UP7 and modded GTX Titan

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We had a bit of a night out one night and hung out with Neo (from The Overclocker magazine) celebrating his birthday and legendary klngpln.
    From left to right (kingpin, youngpro, 8pack, Neo, Mad222, SniperOz, dinos22)

[​IMG]

The OC lab looks fantastic and will no doubt help improve GIGABYTE's products a great deal with regular visits from world renowned overclockers giving their input on things to improve with current and future gen products.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2013
  2. robbo2

robbo2 Member

That 3770K is amazing! Show us the backup :p

3. OP
    OP
    dinos22

dinos22 Member

what backup :D

4. Bullants

Bullants Member

Awesome guys,amazing results looks like you guys had a ball.Thanks for posting

5. FqqTBawL

FqqTBawL Member

260Amps OMFG!!!! THat is Crazy!!

Well done guys. Love the shot of Pro kickin it in Thongs.:leet:

6. Jimba86

Jimba86 Member

Great results dinosaur :tongue:, James and co! Well done on the WR! 2 questions though: is "G-Powa" going to retail..:D and will the x79-ud7/oc be reissued?

7. OP
    OP
    dinos22

dinos22 Member

x79, yeah i think there might be something brewing

gpower, nar it's just some internal tool used to troubleshoot gear but hey since we couldnt buy epower we brought out the g-power big guns :D

8. robbo2

robbo2 Member

Will you be doing some SPI with that chip? I was reading that you guys were benching with a board that is not yet released.

9. OP
    OP
    dinos22

dinos22 Member

the guy that sold this chip to me somehow forgot to mention that the CPU has problems with voltage :rolleyes:, hence even at 1.25vcore it will sometimes just crash in superpi, if you lower it to 1.2v it will pass everything and even bench 32M at 5GHz on air no drama. so doing LN2 runs for benching may not be possible unfortunately. Dodgy guy but what can you do. im not a frequency bencher but since there was not much else to do i figured id test frequency hence why i was so excited when i hit 7.1 in the video and then i pushed more and nailed frequency records past liquid helium runs :leet:

i'll give 1M a shot with full pot and see if it will let me bench it at say 1.8v hopefully but my hopes are very low. if this chip didnt have a problem with voltage it would be benching 3D at 7GHz. Two of the cores can do those frequencies without drama, maybe even 3, crazy chip

10. robbo2

robbo2 Member

The best part of that post was you calling the guy who sold you a WR chip dodgy :lol:

That's a strange issue, but hoping you can nail something.

11. OP
    OP
    dinos22

dinos22 Member

paying much more than retail price for a piece of hardware because it does 5.25GHz 1.3vcore 32M superPi on air justifies an expectation that it can do close to that don't you think? That is why i purchased the CPU and while the CPU can still do decent frequency, say 5GHz 1.2vcore it cannot even pass 32M at 4GHz with 1.3vcore which it was supposed to do. The CPU basically becomes very unstable with voltage past about 1.25vcore. That to me means that the chip was damaged since it was able to do that initially and the seller felt he wanted to sell it off to some guy and let it be his problem. That is dodgy. This chip could have also not liked that voltage in idle and then i wouldnt even hit 6GHz if you know what i mean and then what? It was just pure luck that i could still push frequency without loading the CPU but frequency benching is a bit useless without being able to also test its real capabilities and that is high frequency 2D and 3D.

if the guy selling the chip told me, look mate i think there might be something wrong with it because it cannot do what i said it could in the past and it keeps crashing when i raise voltage or if he said i can still do 1.2vcore 5GHz but voltage wont go up i would at least be prepared that it would be a frequency chip so my gamble to be a lot more than retail would be probably still justified and i would know i wasnt slipped a dud but the bloke was being honest with me. I think that's a reasonable thing to expect when you deal with people and hardware. If i got the chip and i couldnt hit frequency within say 100Mhz well fair enough, maybe it's something im doing wrong and i will work it out. that is not a problem. The problem is the chip is actually faulty in sense it is unstable even with a mild voltage increase. Ive never seen that before! I even tested in the Asus Maximus Extreme board he claimed to be using to make sure it was not my boards having issues or whatnot but even M5E and Gene had exactly the same problem hence he must have damaged it and decided to keep that to himself but still help himself to a decent sum of money.

i obviously didnt press on with Paypal stuff anyway as i felt it was still a decent chip and then later tested frequency and found it to be exceptional. Very lucky indeed but yeah this chip is no good at anything else other than frequency or undervolting a big overclock once it becomes the 24/7 chip one day lol

Last edited: Apr 26, 2013
  12. t8y

t8y Member

heh maybe try 1.41v :p apparently people are doing it wrong :lol:

anyway some crazy results, love the work with the titans.

also some very drunk looking folks there for just past 9pm :lol:

13. robbo2

robbo2 Member

Yeah, that's a fair call. When I saw the sub on the bot I was really excited thinking you guys would clean up on 2D and was wondering how it would bench 3D. Nothing ever came and I was wondering what was going on. It's a real shame, but at least you guys managed to get what you did.

14. OP
    OP
    dinos22

dinos22 Member

yeah dude it would have been dead easy. i would ride, live, breath and sleep on this chip so hard it would sing in 10 languages at 7.1GHz :lol:

15. OP
    OP
    dinos22

dinos22 Member

LOL ya should have seen us at 4am!

16. gazza30

gazza30 Member

Great vid and CRAZY results lads awesome stuff :thumbup:

17. Surtr

Surtr (Banned or Deleted)

requires a name and shame i think. :(

congrats on it though!

18. OP
    OP
    dinos22

dinos22 Member

Had a quick test yesterday to see what volts the chip will allow me to use with the pot full of ln2 and it was a bit of a sigh :(

1.65v max for superpi 1.75 on edge with dragos in 01 and about 1.7 with lobbies

6.82ghz 1.75v drago was no drama

SUCH A TEASE ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

http://img811.imageshack.us/img811/7126/20130426181646.jpg

Last edited: Apr 27, 2013
  19. Yamunsa

Yamunsa Member

nice results and congrats on the oc lab. you just have to convince the big-wigs to open an australian branch :lol:

20. newlife

newlife Member

great job guys :thumbup: