tell me all your Gigabyte 7VRXP stories.

Discussion in 'Other CPUs and chipsets' started by jarthel, Aug 21, 2002.

1. Nickopen

Nickopen Member

Bios Rev F10 came out yesterday, haven't had time to load it yet though - if anyone has, let us know what it does!

2. ViperInc

ViperInc Member

um.. i deal with Rectron..

ooo new bios.. will flash in 5mins..
    will be bak in 5mins wiht results...

sweet...

3. ViperInc

ViperInc Member

ok
    dont update..

bios is alittle faster, but it increases load times on the main screen (ie cpu details, ram, hdd, etc)
    no new settings, or greater voltages...

i dont recomend it...

4. Gorecki

Gorecki Member

Had trouble running a Leadtek Ti4200 Graphics card on my revision 1.1 board. Had to up the core voltage by 7.5% to get it to run stable.

Runs with a core temp of 60 to 66 Deg C with my XP1800+

5. insolence

insolence Member

i had a ton of troubles when i first got my revision 1 7vrx. It didnt like my 4400 and constantly locked up in any 3d apps. Ive now been running it for several months with vcore upped 7.5% and its perfectly stable, temps are obviously a little higher but not too much more than standard. Gigabytes decision to not include a 1/5 divider and the initial troubles i had with this board will make me thing long and hard before i touch one of their products again.

6. sgn

sgn Member

revison 1.1 are 1.0 board that have been returned to the manuafctor and had a couple of resitors changed... could be the same for version 2.0 (this is why i am SWAPPING my existing board for a brand new version 2.0) as i've had nothing but trouble since buying this board...

7. iq2hi

iq2hi (wild and wonderful)

What kind of CPU temps are you getting with this board? Does it have a history of reporting higher than average temps?

8. Gorecki

Gorecki Member

With the base model cpu fan I got temperatures in the mid 50's depending on cpu activity. As per my previous post I had to up the core voltage by 7.5% to get it to run stable with a GF4 Ti4200 card. I then got anywhere up to 68 DegC.

I subsequently got hold of a second hand Thermaltake cpu fan which brought my temps back down to the mid 50's.

I posted a query with Gigabyte and got told that temps in the mid 60's were OK but most people I talk to seem to get mid 40's with similar systems but different mobo's.

Another forums that I've looked at implied that the board reports higher than actual but I haven't confirmed this.

9. ^mR_tRoG^

^mR_tRoG^ Member

i have a version 2 ga-7vrx (nonP).

very cheap and good quality i highly recommend it. yet to overclock so not sure from that area.

btw on the temp question, my arkua 6228 with 60>80mm adapter and quiet 80mm sunon keeps it @ 40 idle and 44 MAX load :)

tr0gg0

10. Nickopen

Nickopen Member

My temps:

Winter (~ 20 deg C ambient)
    case ~ 25
    CPU ~ 30-35

Spring (now ~ 25 ambient)
    case ~ 32
    CPU ~ 40-45

Last night the CPU temp broke the 50 barrier for the first time, but it was stinking hot (prolly around 30 deg in my room) and I had been folding all day - box details in sig.

11. iq2hi

Thanks for the info so far

I've been running 39C case and 51C cpu (full load), which I'm not terribly happy with. This is with a copper zalman and the cpu fan running at full speed. I'm hoping if I can get the case temps down a bit with a fan or two I've got on order, I'll see a fair drop in temps.

12. Nickopen

Nickopen Member

Re: Thanks for the info so far

Have you tried running it without the fanmate controller and with the side off? That made my temps drop heaps... let me know that it wasn't a problem witht he zalman setup but my case's air-flow As a more permanent solution I now have a fully perspex side to my case with a 80mm mounted inline with the zalman fan so that the CPU fan intake is nice cold air from outside instead of evil recirculated hot internal air.

13. iq2hi

Re: Re: Thanks for the info so far

Well, that took me down to 36/37 and 48, which isn't bad, but could still be improved on.

14. kneedragger124

kneedragger124 Member

As long as it is below 60 degrees , don't worry . My temp are 48-55 now when it got hotter ; with the case closed and one other fan on the back of the case .

And I have the Zalman 6000 cu cooler. The revisions 1.1 and 1 boards are known to have higher readings ...

Cheers

15. OP
    OP
    jarthel

jarthel (Banned or Deleted)

I know for sure that people in the US can RMA their 1.1 board and Gigabyte will do something with it to make GF4s stable.

Jayel

16. Gorecki

Gorecki Member

GA 7VRXP Rev1.1 with Leadtek Ti4200

Further to my earlier post I've done a bit more experimenting.

Just got the game Medievil Total War and experienced an increase in problems. Had to jump the AGP,Vcore and DDRAM voltages to the max to have any chance of playing a game.

Earlier on I'd tried AGPx2 but got similar stability problems as with AGPx4. I've just tried AGPx1 and could bring the voltages back to standard and run 3dMark, Operation Flashpoint and Medievil and as yet no problems.

My 3DMark score only dropped 300 points and cpu temp is a little lower as well.

17. SOAD

SOAD Member

Just a positive note for the GA-7VRXP

I love my GA-7VRXP! (revision 2.0 of course). Despite what people are saying about the boards being unstable etc i still beleive they are great. The revison 1.x's probably where POS but the rev 2.0 i have and the rev 2.0 my mate has work fine. And also try www.netplus.com.au because i got mine from there for $179 also. Anyone know anything about the GA-7VRX? havnt heard a single thing about them.

18. T101

T101 Member

I've got the GA-7VRX the only difference with the board is the 2 missing ide raid ports. They're there just not soldered on. The board is the same thing otherwise. I didn't get the XP as it was a few more $ and I wasn't going to be using the extra hard disk controller. The mobo works great and is fast in gaming!

I've had it for 4 days, if your going to get one of these beauties and they're nice for some of these reasons (exterior looks)

=>blue colour.
    =>gold mb heatsink (no stupid mobo fan that clogs up).
    =>spacious for large heatsinks like volcanos. (there's one small cap you can bend a fraction otherwise all is cool)
    =>i like the agp lock feature.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2002
  19. ^mR_tRoG^

^mR_tRoG^ Member

your semi right.

there is 2 missing ide ports, no onboard sound, no onboard lan, no SD / MS (memory stick) connecters and a few other things.

IMO its a very good board anyway. waste of $$ for those features.

yes the agp thing is a good idea btw

tr0gg0

(recommend the GA-7VRX)

20. tesna

tesna Member

I have 7VRXP rev 1.1 for 3 month now. The board never give me any problems, but couple days ago I installed 7VRXP rev 2.0 and install it. Then the cpu temps readings far more low on rev 2.0 than on mine. My friend only use standard AMD heatsink + artic silver, I use Volcano 7+ with artic silver. Is this caused by on rev 2.0 the cpu temp readings done by built in thermal diode on the CPU? instead rev 1.1 only have thermal probe underneath the cpu core? Both systems have similar specs, XP 1800, 256 PC2700 ddr, maxtor hard drive etc.