Telltale to release episodic Monkey Island series!

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by Automaton, Jun 2, 2009.

1. Automaton

Automaton Member

http://www.telltalegames.com/

Potential THE best gaming news this year. I couldn't see a thread anywhere, sorry if I missed it & feel free to delete.

2. Nvidiot

Nvidiot Member

Yahooo!

Awesomeness and Groovyness all rolled into one swashbuckling tale of grammatic glory!

*fills out pre-order*

3. Sharpe

Sharpe Member

Fuck yes.

I just hope it's better than MI4...MI1 and 2 were certainly the best (due to ron gilbert), MI3 was lacking something but still pretty good. MI4 was balls in my opinion.

I enjoyed the new sam n max games..they captured the humour from the first sam and max game well - hopefully they can do justice to MI...

4. bester

bester Member

Best...news...ever !!!

I'd given up waiting for this a long time ago (MI4 came out in November 2000...so I kind of got sick checking mixnmojo/worldofmi all the time, hoping for a miracle).

Regards,

Bester

5. praiseB

praiseB Member

Freaking awesome, I love Telltale, first they brought us Sam & Max and now this, all we need now is some Day of the Tentacle action and life will be grand.

And to the op: "You fight like a dairy farmer."

6. arytel

arytel Member

I will be ready to relive the adventures. :D

7. OP
    OP
    Automaton

Automaton Member

Telltale have great production values & they're usually true to the material, only thing I'm hoping is it's not too easy. The S&M series weren't really challenging and the multi-platform nature is more of an incentive for them to keep it 'customer friendly.'

8. Yerolo

Yerolo Member

"Look behind you....a three headed monkey ! "

Cant wait for this....best gaming news all year :)

The graphic style looks pretty sharp (but nowhere near the excellence of CMI), still the gameplay, storyline and characters is what makes Monkey Island

Word is that Dave Grossman has come on board for this (he co-wrote MI1 and MI2 with Tim Schaffer and Ron Gilbert), so its in safe hands :)

Telltale did an awesome job with Sam n Max....so I'm sure we wont be disappointed. :thumbup:

--- Edit ---

Here is a good read for Monkey Island fans from Ron Gilbert's blog:

http://grumpygamer.com

Last edited: Jun 2, 2009
  9. WarpSpider74

WarpSpider74 Member

I think I just had a little orgasm. Wait... yes. Yes I did.

This calls for a celebration. /me reinstates his MI ringtone...

"Theeeeeeere's a monkey in my pocket, he's stealing all my change; his eyes are cold and staring, I think that he's deraaaaanged!"

10. power

power Member

Hooooooray!!

Monkey Island LOVE!

11. Fortigurn

Fortigurn Member

"How appropriate, you fight like a cow." It had to be said!

12. Sharpe

Sharpe Member

I did not know that Tim Shcaffer co-wrote MI1 and 2 with Ron Gilbert...I thought it was all Ron? Didn't Tim do MI3?

Also, what game does Tim have coming out?

And when do Ron's games come out?

Can't be bothered looking at his blog right now...

13. snax1104

snax1104 Member

Tim runs Doublefine now.
    The last game was Psychonauts and are releasing Brutal Legends soonish.

14. soadaholic

soadaholic Member

To be honest I dont have high hopes for this game. I personally am more pumped about the MI1 remake by lucas arts.

Looks like its an exact copy with new audio graphics build on top of the orignal game.

2D is better than 3D when it comes to adventure games IMO.

15. Sharpe

Sharpe Member

I've just been reading Ron Gilbert's blog.

Interesting stuff he says in reflection of the original MI. Stuff about what he'd do differently now, and what worked well etc.

EDIT: Also I hope that if MI1 remake does well, they'll rebuff MI2 - my favourite of the series.

16. Yerolo

Yerolo Member

Indeed, it was a great read. One part really caught my attention when he said

"The very small "hot spot" areas are very annoying today but they were accepted back then; they were even considered a good thing. It's called Game Play! It would be hard to make an adventure game today where players were forced to hunt for small objects"

That really says something about the changes in game philosophy and the gamer demographic. The average gamer from 1990 is perhaps alot more patient than the average 2009 gamer

17. WarpSpider74

WarpSpider74 Member

Yep, 100% agree on that one. <crotchetyoldfart> thats the problem with kids today, no patience... everything is me me me me now now now now. back when I were a lad we had to learn patience, there was none of this gaming on demand rigmarole, we had to actually LOAD the game, from TAPE no less, sometimes it'd take 20 minutes just to load the game... etc etc </crotchetyoldfart>

Most of us had attention spans back then, something that seems to be sorely lacking in many people today. Case in point... TEXT ADVENTURES. Adventures! That you had to READ! And type your commands!

Rant over, get off my lawn.

18. hello_goodbye

hello_goodbye New Member

WOW, last time I played Monkey Island was like 7 years ago.

19. Sharpe

Sharpe Member

I agree. I think that's what makes the new sam and max games so much easier. There's a very limited amount of stuff to look for and it's all fairly obvious and in your face. There were more items needing to mix and match, and some of the items were extremely obscure and hard to find.

Though some of that I do not miss - I still remember the most frustrating puzzle was in the original sam and max where you had to get a 'claim ticket' to claim something in the lost and found... Turns out it was on the other side of a door in a trailer. But you wouldn't really think of closing the door, and certainly wouldnt think there'd be something stuck to the other side! Spent hours looking for the damn thing...not even sure I found it without a walkthrough.

But most of the time it's actually fun to search for the items. And when you got some of the more obscure, but somewhat still logical (though crazy!), puzzles...it was far more rewarding than the ones in the telltale games.

20. stabbsy

stabbsy Member

does anyone have any idea of shipping prices, i don’t want to shell out for the pre order and then find out it is going to cost a ridiculous amount to post everything