1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Telstra Cable Smart Modem - Green Light, but no net.

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting Help' started by KANNIS, Sep 24, 2019.

1. garnet

garnet Member

cables connection is 100/5 now, actual speed is like 115/5 no speed boost required.
    keep it up OP, once you get pass the nonsensical, it is great :)

2. OP
    OP
    KANNIS

KANNIS Member

Yeah when it works it's bloody fast. Ive never had cable like this, it's amazing...

3. OP
    OP
    KANNIS

KANNIS Member

Just had the Telstra tech pay us a visit. 5 minutes and he was done. Apparently a rusty part in the Telstra box outside was the real culprit.
    He changed the part and my wife says it's now holding the cable connection at full speed. I'm quite keen to get home and see which part it is.

Hopefully this will be the end of it and I can now enjoy my pron without interruptions. :)

power and macktheknife like this.
  4. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

I've had it for the best part of 20 years now, always loved it to bits.

And soon I'll be forced onto NBN :upset:

5. ruffdayz

ruffdayz Member

I've had a few issues with my NBN (namely contractors pissing about in the node and disconnecting / removing cables) when connecting others, causing my fibre to drop. NBNCo copped my wrath over that.

That said 100/50 plan on Telstra with Fibre to the Garage/property, and I crack out 92-96Mbit down almost all the time (even during peak times). Love it!

6. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

How much for that?

It's still less than what I have now :(

7. ruffdayz

ruffdayz Member

Telstra are ruining my life per month at $100 for the unlimited plan + $30 for the premium speed boost. So $130 all up.

8. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Geebus :wired:

I'm paying what $90 a month and getting over 100.

Fark :(

9. ecroF

ecroF Member

When I had a similar problem, they decided my modem was faulty. They offered me a free one if I got a new bundle, so yeah why not.

And ADSL modem arrived in the post, so I call telstra to advise them of their error..... " ohh it says you ordered an ADSL bundle" was their response. Seriously what kind of retard would order adsl when they have speed boosted cable??? Took 7 weeks and a call to the TIO to sort it out. I ended up getting 6 months for free in the end.

EDIT : forgot about why the cable wasn't working properly. There was a rusty connection in the street.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2019
  10. ruffdayz

ruffdayz Member

Yeah cable only has one plan though.. technically I could go 250/100 here if I wanted to (AussieBB confirmed), but it was not cheap when I first looked at it.

11. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Sure but what's the huge cost of that?

The unortunate thing with NBN is that for what I have now I will have to pay more.

12. ruffdayz

ruffdayz Member

I think it was about $350 a month at the time!

and yep you are right there... more for the same thing, although you SHOULD be able to stay on current plan as I did that initially, but then moved and had to reconnect.

MR CHILLED likes this.
  13. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

What the!?? That's just crazy.

Imo I should be no worse off after NBN. But I will be.

14. Sunder

Sunder Member

That is the disappointment for me. Currently I have Unlimited 100/5 HFC based internet for $70 through Telstra (Special deal because I had similar connection issues when I first joined, except they admitted full fault - They did a partial registration of my modem, but never finished it off, so no matter what they did, they couldn't get it working until they gave me a whole new account and modem. Took about 6 weeks - and most of that 6 weeks, they gave me 10Gb a day on my mobile phone to compensate). To get the same with NBN, I'd have to pay more.

Thing is, we're now very light users, because we watch Netflix on our mobiles, and work pay for very high allowance plans, we use almost nothing on fixed line cable. So I'm going to wait until I get forced off Telstra HFC, then I will probably go a 100Gb or even 60Gb 4G/5G service.

At my house, I can get 280Mbps down on 4G even during peak hours, latency is only slightly higher, and on fixed line, it's mostly gaming and IOT traffic, neither of which is high bandwidth.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2019
  15. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

I had Telstra ring me me up the other day wanting to tell me a date for getting the nbn box installed. I said I don't want it until the very last day possible, then he proceeded to try and convince me that the nbn would be as good if not better than too unlimited 100/5 I have now even though the speeds were listed as lower than that. He said but with nbn all the whole family can browse and do everything all at the same time! lol. Errr, we can do that now. But insisted it would be different, better, and the only way to really know is to get it installed and see :lol:

Sunder likes this.
  16. Sunder

Sunder Member

Most of the guys on these lines aren't even techs. They're effectively sales people, convincing you to upgrade, and they have no idea what they are talking about.

When they call me, (I think most people get 18 months from availability date, but some are accelerated) I'll just tell them to disconnect me on the very last day, as I won't be transferring. That day, I'll just buy a SIM card from the local Telstra shop, and put it in the 4G backup part of the modem. Apparently it works, and there's no 6/1 speed limiting (The limit is on the backup SIM they give you, not in the modem firmware. Gonna test that when I have time in the next couple weeks to be sure though. Otherwise a decent 4GX modem can be had for under $100).

MR CHILLED likes this.
  17. OP
    OP
    KANNIS

KANNIS Member

Gone again. Fucken useless they are. I had a steady connection since last time it was fixed but the last 2 days its back to disconnecting every 30mins. I also noticed the Telstra Pit out the front of my house has been recently redone with new concrete. Really annoying...

18. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Time for a call to Telstra and get them to look into it again along with some sweet compensation for your inconvenience ; )

19. ruffdayz

ruffdayz Member

Telstra are one of few that WILL give you compensation. Don't let them lowball you with their "we only pay $x compensation a day" crap, as you can twist their arm normally.

What you do is work out cost of internet per month / 31 days, that gives your cost per day. # of days without internet * per day cost and push for that as a rebate.

The other month when I was down for a 10 days in total (2 days > fixed by tech > fucked again by another contractor > 7 days > finally fixed for good), I got back like $42 of my bill.

Lucky Telstradidn't just cancel your current connection and move it... that's why I had to sign back up again (and lost my $80 a month cable plan).