Telstra Cable speeds- very slow. What can be done?

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by mcfee03, Dec 2, 2015.

1. Wolfje

Wolfje Member

Agreed. My CG3100D-2 had a broken NAT stack which was force-closing idle but open connections, making SSH a wall-punchingly frustrating experience. I also had issues with wifi degrading over time, in bridge mode it works perfectly - no reboots, no issues, nothing.

2. dcyloo

dcyloo Member

Really? The Telstra set firmware on the Gateway Max is that much of poo?

I've never experienced the issues I guess because the moment I got the modem I set the thing in bridge mode, disabled everything other than the WAN and connected it to my ASUS router.

Also I'm on DOCSIS 3.0 speeds. My area is lived in by an older population so they don't use Internet too much and I've been getting max speeds for the most part since I switched from ADSL.

3. cbb1935

cbb1935 Guest

The real arsed up "feature" of the TGMax (CG3100D-2), is that Telstra form firmware upgrades down onto it. If you have any custom changes to the modem (statically allocated dynamic IPs, IP ranges changed, WIFI network/settings changed), then EVERY.DAMN.TIME they push a firmware update through, it factory resets the cable modem to Telstras defaults again.

Oh and previous backups of the config no longer work.

Then theres the times the modem freezes hard and you have to power cycle a few times before it comes good.

My folks have one and are forever cursing the thing.

Meanwhile I've got the non Max in bridged mode and it's rock solid. Rebooted 2 times in 12 months *touch wood*.

4. adr_an

adr_an Member

I agree with this. Everytime they do a firmware update, it ends up re-enabling the wireless and I only find out when I suddenly notice the extra SSID showing up.

5. cbb1935

cbb1935 Guest

For me it's Mum and Dad calling "I can't print" or "the wireless isn't working" (and of course they mainly use the wireless). I've got their printer, Smart TVs, HTR and NAS all setup with statically allocated DHCP leases, so it's a huge pain in the arse.

Yet for some weird reason the CG3100D isn't impacted by firmware upgrades at all.

6. Wolfje

Wolfje Member

Different modem and different firmware. If telstra don't need to release firmware for these they wont instruct the headend to reboot all those modems.

Most likely the D-series firmwares aren't broken.

7. round

round (Banned or Deleted)

thank you, didnt know why i had to re-add my wifi detail back in a few weeks ago....

that being said, iv had the older netgear 6300 cable router last year, it sucked balls, had 2 of them from optus. gave up asking for a new one and put it into bridge mode and solved all issues..

this telstra gatway max has been very stable, and dose all that is required...
    the best network gear is when you forget about it, and never have to play with it.

8. supasaiyan

supasaiyan Member

so back to the original OP's issue... i've had his service checked and there was a network issue in the area but also his service was testing out of spec and a CT is (or has) going to the site

9. adr_an

adr_an Member

Good job dude! It's good to know we have someone to talk to if we have any issues.:thumbup:

10. dcyloo

dcyloo Member

I thank you for you being willing to go out of your way in doing your job - especially for so many on this forum... not all service personnel couldn't give a shit as alluded to earlier in this thread.

Props to you!

11. supasaiyan

supasaiyan Member

thanks guys, but the bottom line (imo) is that im a telstra customer too and i know how frustrating it is trying to get a clear answer from us (them)

12. OP
    OP
    mcfee03

mcfee03 Member

Really appreciate it!

Just an update for people:

The complaints department have been calling me all week (thanks to supasiyan).

Apparently its service disruption affecting a handful of customers.

They've offered to credit me until they deem the issue has been fixed, but they say it may take a week or more.

Another annoyance- when I signed up, the manager of the Testra stoer offered an additional 20-30GB of data (I got the small 100GB plan). The complaints guy isn't houring it, saying his called the store, and the manager's "drawing a blank"...

Telstra's offer to compensate- terminate my contract without a penalty/charges. Really not impressed with that. I dont want to go back to ADSL but I have no other options...

I wish they'd just offer me a more data/credits on my account or something- rather than turning away a customer :(

Last edited: Dec 11, 2015
  13. EuroSlave

EuroSlave Member

over 101mbps at the moment

peak hour 2 ~ 4 mbps

it's clearly a congestion issue where I am

still cmon man downloading shit at 500kbps in 2016 is some bullshit

also fuck the standard netgear virgin2000 router or someshit

locked down modem are you fucking serious man

router/modem dont abuse me man it's 5am on a sunday im fucked up man

14. BuuBox

BuuBox Member

They aren't going to make a special plan just for you.

This is probably what the store manager meant: https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au...-Home-Broadband-Free-Data-Top-ups/ta-p/283121

You have lots of options! :lol: