1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Telstra crappy NBN

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by aussie-revhead, Mar 16, 2022.

1. caspian

caspian Member

yes, ABB expose a number of those diagnostics to their end users via their app. quite a good tool from what I have seen.

supasaiyan likes this.
  2. supasaiyan

supasaiyan Member

its amazing how many times i hear at work "well ABB does this" and "ABB offers that" and "how can a company 20x bigger can't do it like ABB"

TheWedgie likes this.
  3. nCrypt

nCrypt Member

i had constant drop outs for a month recently. telstra NBN 100/20 -- fastest i can get

couple mates on gigabit ABB, but not available in my area, im on FTTC.

NBN tech came out, and the connection in the pit connecting the house to the NBN was fucked, not sealed properly, changed the connection cleaned it up, and NBN has been rock solid now for 2 months not a single outage (was fine from July to January not a single drop out)

telstra also gave me a $330 credit on my account which equates to 3 months compensation, so not too shabby.

never really had an issue with Telstra, their service is iffy, but once get a hold of an English speaking tech located in Australia, then pretty easy. !~

4. evilasdeath

evilasdeath Member

I wish mine was stable like that,

mine drops out pretty regularly, usually a few times after each other sometimes syncing at ~50mbit where it stabilizes but it drops out less than 4 or less times, as such NBN won't accept it, I've got 64 dropouts since the start of the year, usually in groups of 3-4 dropouts.

It was worse last year, NBN did come out to remove the bridge tap they installed as part of the service, that improved things marginally, and he said if it keeps going the leadin needs to be replaced, however i can't get NBN/ABB to push it hard enough.

The conduit is ready for it already, its a newer lead in that has old defunk telstra HFC, its a simple pull through, the existing is a crushed blocked with mud conduit.

I've done all the internal house work when i did renos, removed stars etc, NBN pulled new copper from DPU to my pit on my lawn, i just can't get ABB/NBN to push it to replace the last bit that i can't replace myself.

5. caspian

caspian Member

the size itself is a challenge. making the slightest change to a product, a tool or an assurance process requires an amazing degree of cat herding to try and get everyone concerned on the same page. there seems to be some sort of critical mass where you lose easy control of the herd.

outsourcing some business functions where the sheer volume of work makes doing so very financially attractive adds an additional layer of challenge by abstracting the business one step further away from the coal face operators.

even without that particular problem, my experience has been that in the face of significant volumes, the management of the business turn into beancounters and want everything done to a standard in the name of cost control. so they introduce workflows and tools to standardise operations, and shortly afterwards someone realises that every bit better they make the tools, the less trained and knowledgeable the operators need to be. 12 months later and you've got 500 operators working for an outsourcer in Elbonia taking your customer's calls, with no skills other than following the guided workflow on the screen.

I sometimes think it's a matter of the business being the victim of its own success in that regard. there are other industries where the same thing happens, look at food. your local restaurant turns out high-quality handmade dishes but only seats 40 people and it only works because the chef can oversee everything themselves. grow too much and you end up with McDonalds selling dog alone know who many assembly line burgers while accountants fret over the exact count of how many sesame seeds there are on the buns.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2022
    TheWedgie likes this.
  6. Vohaul

Vohaul Member

so this has been trying to be resolved with my housemate, since 7:30PM.wtf?
    tldr
    reduced to 256kps
    data useage:121558852MB
    data allowance 9999999999MB
    it's unlimted 1000/50Mbit

Attached Files:

7. rireland

rireland Member

have been keenly awaiting for the fttp upgrade program to commence since it was announced