1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Telstra didnt dig deep enough WELL DONE

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by n3wbi379, Oct 5, 2010.

1. BuuBox

BuuBox Member

Structurally separated rail = failure worldwide.

Some things just need to be public utilities...

2. Vladdo

Vladdo Member

Exactly.. Communications in this day and age is NOT a luxury item, it's a public utility.. Hence now the extreme profits and low accountability ..

3. OP
    OP
    n3wbi379

n3wbi379 Member

2 telstra Tech's out side now working in the rain.

Kinda feel sorry for them.

Job nearly complete.

4. doodz

doodz Member

Take pics...! If you need blurr their faces

5. NSanity

NSanity Member

I wouldn't.

They are getting paid to do a job.

6. Oxley

Oxley Member

You should see some of the installs done in rural areas.
    Family property the cable is in black irrigation pipe just laid in the open dirt drain by the road, so every time council slashes, bye bye phone.
    Or my place the trunk is 200mm diameter PVC pipe sticking up on ATRAC land, which gets slashed very little and when they do it with an all terrain bob cat at high speed, again bye bye phone.
    But the techs only show up on public holidays (must be for the overtime) I was without phones for 4 weeks, but come Christmas day, 4 trucks loads of techs to fix a small pit full of mud, but who was it that put the pit bellow road level along side a dirt road in the first place?

7. Iceman

Iceman Member

Plus the water makes the dirt softer :lol:

8. Siggi

Siggi Member

And with all the mud they can re-enact the climatic ending of the shawshanke redeption.

Its been raining like hell the last couple of days so you won't know how it looks until it settles, but does it look alright sofar? I imagine the tguys were thoroughly soaked by the time they finished.

Also, I swear I know this place. Do you live in moorabin?

Edit: no, I guess not. Seems theres more place than one with bad wiring
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 21, 2010
  9. pantner

pantner Member

whats the verdict?

Did they do it properly???

10. zaim

zaim Member

lol visionstream. my bro did work with them, he's working for that other crowd now

11. OP
    OP
    n3wbi379

n3wbi379 Member

Yer all fixed.

Am actually nearly done all my landscaping too. :D

12. Scarecrow_99

Scarecrow_99 Member

Just recieved a bill from Telstra today for something similar.

Background: Older property built in 1970. Was a very long block with a business at the back. This was split and house was seperated and sold.

Enter me buying the property and digging a trench the length of my backyard, for a retaining wall. Get over near the fence and hit a power cable 200mm down. Though crap, but quickly got it tested by my friend that was helping me dig (eleco), turns out the line was run up to business up the back, but was disconnected in my meter box.

We continue to dig and hit an old copper pipe again 150-200mm down. Was in the road, and thinking it was an old water pipe, (had dug up a couple all ready), we cut through it and also sliced up a phone line.

Ran inside and phone is still working. Awesome. Monday rocks up and the business up the back now doesnt have a phone. They call telstra who enters my property and fixes their phone line, who then sends me a bill of $220.

Now, since the propery was split and a new power line and water was run to the seperate business at the back, I would have thought that the phone should have been moved too?

Hard part is yes I dug it up, and would be happy to pay for it if it was my phone line. But it wasnt, I didnt call telstra, and third line was not far enough down.

Should I be having to pay this? Be passing it on to the business or fighting with Telstra?

13. chunksoul

chunksoul Member

try and get past the helpdesk

then if you can't ring the ombudsman

14. Iceman

Iceman Member

Have you got the original plans for your block? If you dug through an easement I'd say it's definitely your fault. If someone else's service is simply running through your property, that was not authorised by you and it is NOT part of a legally declared easement then I'd be very curious to know exactly what right they have to do that and charge you for the repairs.

15. martino

martino Member

Guessing you didn't Dial Before You Dig?

"There are many incidents of damage to underground networks throughout Australia each year, costing millions of dollars. Most of this damage occurs as a result of ignorance, carelessness or even blatant disregard for the networks. These networks are vital to Australia. Individual and company liability for cable and pipe damage has been introduced by many utilities to make individuals take responsibility for avoiding such damage. Litigation activity may be commenced against individuals or companies where negligence can be proved."

Telstra will attempt to recover cost from anyone who damages plant through a recoverable damages process. This may or may not be what the tech who repaired the service in question has done.

16. Sorak

Sorak Member

i gotta say, that was an interesting read. from start to finish. pretty fucked up how they kept dicking you around.

this reminds me of another thread about some guys house, where the bricks werent properly treated and changed colour, and he got dicked around by the contractor also.

thats some dodgy shit.

17. OP
    OP
    n3wbi379

n3wbi379 Member

All is is fixed

Brick is now rendered and phone line is 300mm deep... :D

WTF as i was typing this the whole has had a power surge, every thing reset :tongue:

18. g@z

g@z Member

If the line is in your property boundry, then I'd hand the bill to the business and say as nice as you can that their line should not be there. If they get agro and say that it's your fault and you should tell them ok I'l pay then advise them nicely that will request that they pay for the relocation of their line from your property and across to common ground just like the other services. :)

But do you want to start this with your neighbour? It might create long term animosity that will be more annoying to live with than a $220 bill.

Regards,
    g@z.

19. Smashwa

Smashwa Member

Must be trolling, right?

I have been fortunate the few times i have had to deal with Telstra contractors. Guy found an issue in the wall socket, which would mean a charge for me since its inside the premises. But the guy was nice enough to fix it and lodge it as a fault in the pit. Nice guy too, had a bit of a chat.

20. g@z

g@z Member

I've called them, and they send you plans of where services enter your property.

I rang them and asked how do I know where it goes beyond what you have provided and they advised me to call my builder. ie we can't help you.

After your property boundry you are usually on your own.

Regards,
    g@z.