Telstra finally competitive? 200GB ADSL2+ - $89.95

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by Spizz, Jul 23, 2010.

1. rush

rush Member

Everything they have said is factual, and problematic.

Everyone suffers as a result of what they are "whinging" about. Anti-competitive behaviour is pretty much synonymous with "bad for everyone".

There are a fair share of ultra-right wing people on this forum who adore Telstra in all her monopolistic ugliness.
    I think they are the only people who will agree with you on this one. (Apart from employees such as caspian who are also incapable of conceding that Telstra is a pig of a company)

Did you take the time to read the article that you linked to?

2. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Sounds like a very desperate attempt to stop the tide of customers leaving for Telstra, as he knows if wholesale pricing were to change to lower levels it would still take a year or two to get those customers back.

3. BuuBox

BuuBox Member

Not once did I say it was particularly appropriate for Telstra to engage in what is arguably predatory pricing and abuse of their market power. Most other ISPs manage to conduct themselves professionally however.

Surely an ISP with as many subscribers as Internode can negotiate on similar terms to Exetel?

Also remember that ADSL2+ is not ADSL1 in terms of wholesale access.

Edit: keep in mind until a few weeks ago Internode Easy Broadband (50GB for $50 - $60) was available on many Telstra ADSL2+ ports. Then they suddenly became unprofitable and disappeared when it suited Internode's ACCC claim.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2010
  4. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Interesting, because I negotiated discounts for my cable account just prior to the new plans, I've now moved upwards to the 200Gig plan and my monthly fee is now $55.56 :D

5. HumbleBum

HumbleBum Member

Surprise fucken surprise.. the chick who took my order did nothing with it.. didnt even place it in the system.

:mad:

Just spent 20 mins on the phone placing a new order.. again! and speaking to a team leader.. going for a free month, as the service as a new customer who basically I dont really want to be with Telstra anyways is stupid.

6. Vladdo

Vladdo Member

I was going to go with Bigpond but when i was told that i could sign up for ADSL2+, then waiting 2 weeks to be told that I can't and the only thing now available to me is ADSL1 since there are no ports left.. i've sat out for the last month or so and will now be signing up to Iiinets 400gb plan for $90 on adsl1.. Double the quota for the same price, and i don't have spend 2 hours on the phone to some noob who doesn't enter in my contract into the system anyway..

7. a1120028

a1120028 Member

I always wondered why ppl used Telstra and Optus, they were twice the price for half as much.

8. HumbleBum

HumbleBum Member

because if I want adsl2+ speeds I have to use telstra.. I have no choice sadly.

9. shift6

shift6 Member

Hmm some other reasons I can think of off the top of my head (apart from those already suggested)...

-Average consumers are indifferent and wary of 'new' companies.
    -Bundling with other services (e.g. home phone, mobile) for ease and possibly better value
    -Apathy
    -For some time Cable was the best broadband option before ADSL2+ was widely available. Likely that the average consumer are just sticking by with what they originally had
    -Quality of Service; although subjective I think that generally reliability and stability of Telstra ADSL2+ is slightly better than numerous other providers. End User Service quality levels I'm not sure about..

10. Voltus

Voltus Member

This happens all the time with telstra

there must be a problem with the system.. usually you get it done right when you call back after a few days wondering why nothing has happened with the order. it has happened to me on 3 occasions. - Upgrading from Adsl 1, Moving house and reconnecting, and also going from Adsl2+ 50GB to Adsl2+ 100GB. Each time they assured me the order was in the system, but I had to call back all 3 occasions to re-do the order. Strangely enough, when I get through to an aussie they usually see the problem right away. ( im not racist at all, Just stating from experience) I think the Aussie CSR's and Tech support guys are a notch above the rest when it comes to knowing the ins and outs of the Telstra/Bigpond system.

11. HumbleBum

HumbleBum Member

I love escalating stuff..

Modem will arrive today, and programming already completed.. ;)

12. fredhoon

fredhoon Member

I want automatic escalation!

I've spent a few hours on the phone today with a couple of operators trying to submit an application for Cable, apparently self installation is no longer available? The first bloke went through the process, address unconfirmed "i'll sort this out and give you a call back around 3pm". After waiting a few hours I call up at 6pm "sorry, your application has been cancelled", and go through the tedious process again + extra mess to sort out as now my address is flagged as not available for cable. I'll try again on friday, and probably tell them to send a tech out to the address to 'confirm' it. At least the phone staff are polite.

13. HumbleBum

HumbleBum Member

I got my old Netcomm NB1300 (Circa 2003) ADSL1 modem out tonight..

Got sync, and currently browsing on my lappy with cat5 running through the house (it isnt wireless) least I am on.

Maxed out at 8mb obviously (adsl1 only modem) but my Telstra one will arrive tomorrow.. I am happy knocks the shit out of 13kb/sec 3g.

14. ir0nhide

ir0nhide Member

Rubbish. It's been pointed out countless times that wherever there are telstra ADSL2+ ports, any number of ISPs can re-sell access to that port.

15. DavoRulz

DavoRulz (Banned or Deleted)

Doesn't mean you're still not gouged in the eye by Telstra for it.

It's not really whinging if it's true. It's anti-competetive behaviour and it's illegal.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2010
  16. BuuBox

BuuBox Member

There's a difference between making a statement (i.e. iiNet) and just constant complaining.

The latter has not been established...

17. HumbleBum

HumbleBum Member

ok...

I am a consumer..
    I am on a adsl2 enabled RIM
    I want as much data as I can possibly have
    I want ADSL2+ speeds..
    Because I am on a RIM i need to have a active phone service I cannot used naked

Where can i get a full home phone service and 200gb of adsl for cheaper then $99 a month..

You cant.. Thanks for coming..

18. DavoRulz

DavoRulz (Banned or Deleted)

No you're right. I however expect it to be established, and that would be consistent with previous instances/violations by Telstra.

19. Zenskas

Zenskas Member

Dunno about the RIM stuff but you might be able to get Internode's newly revised easy broadband 250GB plan for $70 per month plus $30 for phone line = $100 per month with things like Annex M, 256K shaping (over 64K), heaps of unmetered stuff, 250GB over 200GB, better customer support etc.

And if you can't get it then don't blame Node. They are not like Telstra, they don't have their own equipment setup everywhere in Aus. They are getting there!
    But for people like me that can get it, 250GB with a standard home phone line for $100 per month and all Node's awesome extras makes it the best deal I can currently get for under $100 (including phone line rental).

Last edited: Sep 16, 2010
  20. HumbleBum

HumbleBum Member

I did look at node.. the kicker was 8mbit.. I am syncing at 20 with Telstra.. so it was ADSL1 not 2.. and that was a show stopper.. I have had adsl2 for a few years with iiNet.. its not the data allowance that was my real concern, 200gb is more then enough for the 2 of us..

Sadly for those on RIMS's if you want ADSL2+ you have to go with a telstra reseller.. and sadly Telstra are the cheapest.. :(