Telstra finally competitive? 200GB ADSL2+ - $89.95

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by Spizz, Jul 23, 2010.

1. BuuBox

BuuBox Member

A developer has a few options when it comes to telecommunications.

The first is that Telstra install copper (connected to a RIM) for essentially no cost due to the access requirements. Therefore ADSL at all is only a "maybe" but is delivered a very low cost to the developer.

The second is the above plus they pay for a company to install a FTTH network (such as Optus, Telstra, Opticomm etc) and therefore offer 100Mbps+ services rather than congested ADSL.

Guess which one your developer chose?

2. Vassili

Vassili Member

3. Doso

Doso Member

1. Until very recently Velocity (telstra fibre) was absolutly horribly priced and was a complete monopoly. Developers obviously did not want to go down that path anymore when homeowners were so pissed off.

http://www.itnews.com.au/News/151372,new-home-buyers-fight-telstra-lock-in.aspx

2. Tesltra does not install copper or wholesale in Opticon estates, being one of the biggest ISP's in the country people get pissed off when they have to move ISP's. Once again developers don't want to piss of customers

3. Let telstra install rims/cmuxs probably the most logical choice, however if telstra wholesaled velocity or resold on opticon estates ftth would be a hell of alot more viable

4. BuuBox

BuuBox Member

Where did I say it had to be a Telstra Smart Community?

Lots of other companies do it also - I listed a few. The benefit of using such a company is that Telstra lines are still installed so you can bypass the FTTH network and use ADSL if you wish.

A far better solution than essentially offering ADSL to 25% of houses.

5. Doso

Doso Member

did you not read my 2nd point?

http://www.itnews.com.au/News/152375,telstra-backs-out-of-melbournes-chancellor-estate.aspx

6. BuuBox

BuuBox Member

7. THE D

THE D Member

How dumb are some of you?

Internode can not cut the price if they are going to make a lost FFS!

Telstra is breaking the law, get over it!

8. Doso

Doso Member

that may be fine for you or me, Hell I would love it!

But for the regular mums & dads who can't transfer over there bigpond services or have to use nextg for there home phone line so that Tesltra can satisfy it's unviersal service obligations it is not good.

9. japes

japes Member

How is that at all relevant to the current thread conversation. iiNet seem to be able to price Telstra Wholesale ports easily better than Internodes current (pathetic) deals, which their new Easy Broadband plans don't make up for at all. Internode can cut their current prices, but still can't compete.

As for Telstra breaking the law, well when/if that gets proved so be it, but if it lets me have my current quota/speeds for the price then I really don't care - Internode are just having a good whinge because they're having trouble in the market outside their tiny self-maintained infastructure where they've cherrypicked profitable exchanges while trying to maintain a false status that they're a major player in Australian telecommunications - as the iiNet chief said, Internode isn't one of them.

10. Segression

Segression Member

i signed up to this plan cause telstra were teh only ones to could give me adsl2, im quite impressed. been on them 2.5months now, i have home phone and mobile with them all bundled, its all quite cheap really for the bundle.

Speeds are pretty sick. Service is flawless, its quite easy to reach 200gb due to the speed, i have to seriously pace myself all month to not exceed it, And the uploads hardly count, im averaging 3.5gb uploads a month. ... i guess if your a torrent whore it would be rather higher

props to telstra for finally comming close to sane on pricing :thumbup:

11. mortal

mortal Member

They've certainly made the other ISPs do something when they have DSLAMS in the exchange!

I'm thinking about going Bigpond Cable to the house (200GB) and also TPG's unlimited plan for ADSL2+. Nice combo.

12. birdie

birdie Member

I'm considering jumping to Bigpond... I never thought I'd be saying that...

I'm currently with Internode, but we are on a Telstra port as where we live doesn't have Optus in the exchange...

Now I just received our new Internode bill, $164.90 ($29.95 for NodeLine, $129.95 for Home-Fast-100, and $5.00 for NodePhone (VoIP)) and its got me thinking... do i really need to be paying this much extra for the "benefit" of not counting uploads, unmetered content (of which I'm not finding I'm using much any more, anyway), and possibly better phone service (though I rarely have any issues anyway, and I don't think I'd have any problem with Telstra either)

So I'm considering going with Bigpond now... but I'm tossing up whether to go with the 100Gb plan (with uploads counted) or whether to go for the 200GB plan... The bundle deals look pretty good, but I don't need te home line ultimate, I only want the basic line rental, as we will probably keep the NodePhone so that we can keep our phone number from it, and it can go with us anywhere (as we are only renting atm).

Now I have my mobile with Telstra, so I'm wondering if its possible to get a bundle deal with the 200GB plan, HomeLine Budget, and the TBox? Does anyone know? how much?

13. Rusty X5

Rusty X5 Member

I'm in the same vote...will be moving soon...i dont really want to go telstra..but have not choice as it goin to be cheaper to bundle my current wireless internet plan and mobile plan into a single bill with phonline and home boardband when i move. Atleast their plans these days are half decent. Took my years to get off telstra..now it will take me years to get off them :(.

14. birdie

birdie Member

Now after reading a few reviews of the TBox, it looks like its not the best quality with freezes and simple things like not being able to record two shows at once...

So now I'm thinking we could go for the 200GB plan standalone, plus the Homeline Basic, and I have my mobile with them so I should be able to get the internet for $69.95/mth plus the $20.95/mth for phone line, so for $90.90 for the internet and phone line... so thats a heap cheaper than the $159.90 we are paying for 100Gb with Internode...

I'm then thinking we can just get a couple of PCI/USB tuners and setup a MythTV box/home NAS server instead of the TBox

15. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Incorrect. Telstra are not breaking the law. Please point me to the court case and resultant verdict that says they are.

16. BuuBox

BuuBox Member

17. Pemalite

Pemalite Member

Yes they are, they have a monopoly on the infrastructure and are undercutting the competition.
    In other words they are being anti-competitive, which is illegal.
    This has happened in the past, Telstra ended up being fined millions.

Port prices may be relatively reasonable, however Telstra also gives ISP's additional "hidden" costs like AGVC, something which ISP's are complaining about this time around.

Some ISP's like TPG+iiNet Group (Includes Westnet and Netspace) are either:

1) Selling the plans at a loss to gain customers/retain market-share.
    2) Using scale of economies.
    3) Sacrificing in other areas, like network quality and customer service.

TPG and iiNet also have a larger ADSL 2+ footprint than Internode, so they could be subsidizing the Telstra Ports, fact of the matter is... We will never know how they achieve it.

18. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

No they are not, that is simply your opinion. There has been no court case yet regarding this,.....yet.

19. Rusty X5

Rusty X5 Member

Not sure what node plan that is....but i saw a adsl2+/node phone package with 150g quota for only $84.95. Thats the problem with node atm...there are that many plans, noone knows whats the cheapest/best plan for there needs and if that plan is available to them in their area.

So at $84.95...i was considering goin that as the equilvent telstra combo would be $20 phone rental and $70 for the 200g plan = $90. However cause i've also got a telstra mobile and also a wireless contract atm...it will be cheaper to combine all my 4 services together. Shouldnt be too bad...$20 phone + $70 adsl2 + $49 mobile + $29 wireless = $168 a month..not too shabby..plus whatever little bonus deal telstra can give me :p.

Didnt want to go telstra..but you what can you do...only nextG mobile and wireless works out in the sticks :(.

20. japes

japes Member

The better value Internode plans are only on Optus/Internode ports, not Telstra Wholesale.