1. Win some Team Group goodies in OCAU's latest contest!
    Dismiss Notice

Telstra finally competitive? 200GB ADSL2+ - $89.95

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by Spizz, Jul 23, 2010.

1. birdie

birdie Member

Yeah and as I said in my first post, we are on a Telstra port as there are no Optus ports in exchange... otherwise yes Internode does have some decent plans... but their Telstra port offerings are extremely limited, and are no where near as good value as the Bigpond offerings...

EDIT: I'm thinking the I need to find out now, whether I can get partial refund from Internode for the remaining days in the month or whether I just ride it out until the end of this pay cycle and then jump to Bigpond so that we aren't chucking away $164.90...

Rusty X5: These are the only plans Internode has on Telstra ports atm: http://www.internode.on.net/residential/broadband/adsl/fast/ and we are on the grandfathered Fast-100 plan at $129.95 bundled with NodeLine (Internode put the price of this plan up in protest saying that they couldn't afford to have it at $139.95 unbundled anymore...???)

Last edited: Oct 24, 2010
  2. a777

a777 Member

I'm not sure if you are aware but TPG have released a range of plans which use Telstra ADSL2+ ports.

OCAU discussion here

TPG "Off-net" plans

200Gb = $59.99
    300Gb = $69.99
    Unlimited = $79.99

Uploads are not counted, and you can choose a six month contract.

3. millsy

millsy Member

Yeah I was about to post that, seriously considering getting off ADSL finally :)

4. Rusty X5

Rusty X5 Member

Ah yes..i see. well definely goin telstra now..as where i'm moving to is only a telstra exchange...no cheap node there :(.

5. birdie

birdie Member

Hmm I've never been game to go to TPG because of the reports of their service (read Bad)... and I just went on Whirlpool in the TPG section and there are several posts about people changing from a "normal" plan on TPG to the unlimited plan and their speed dropping considerably, on had 8Mbit and dropped to 4Mbit, another had 3Mbit and dropped to 1.5Mbit... so that doesn't sound good to me... plus I don't think I need unlimited... we are only just reaching our 100Gb at the moment (thats with limited torrenting... I've turned legit these days :p) So I'm pretty sure the 200GB Telstra plan will do us just fine for a while...

6. Copie

Copie Member

Telstras service (well customer service, there actual service isnt bad) is pretty shocking, just as bad as TPG.

7. [NS]Rommel

[NS]Rommel Member

Good news for us poor country fellas - Telstra's new Bigpond Wireless plans:

7Gb = $59.95 (previously 6Gb for $79.95)

12Gb = $89.95 (previously 10Gb for $119 or $129).

Still capped at 64kbps when limit reached.

http://go.bigpond.com/wireless/ (these prices are for combined home phone/mobile bills).

Last edited: Oct 25, 2010
  8. millsy

millsy Member

My friend has a 3gb one of that, he pulled down over 80gb of steam games in a month from their mirror :lol:

9. Rusty X5

Rusty X5 Member

Yer..i saw that..too bad the fukks never tell any of their customers about when they change plans. Currently on the 10g $120 a month atm....i'll tell them to change it when i get my phoneline and adsl installed.

10. round

round (Banned or Deleted)

not really, ACCC said a few years ago that they were not going to regulate HS adsl2 services.

internode has access to lower prices for about 70% of the population, and could offer lower prices tomorrow to them customers, but choose not to so they could huff & puff.

11. millsy

millsy Member

Price gets lower, people still complain.
    Sigh

12. mortal

mortal Member

And that doesn't mean that they aren't breaking the law. And a court case will most likely come about once ACCC have enforced Telstra to change their wholesale prices, not for them reducing their residential prices.

It is just a matter of time.

And some people still don't understand.

Sigh.

13. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

They maybe, but that is for the authorities to determine, not a bunch of people on an internet forum. They have not been convicted of anything yet.

14. Gipsyking

Gipsyking Member

15. OPM881

OPM881 Member

16. millsy

millsy Member

Oh please explain to me, I'm very interested. I hate how they are more expensive, and with TPG reselling their ports there really is no reason to go with telstra. I however think this new pricing model for them is quite reasonable, and I nearly jumped on board

17. Rusty X5

Rusty X5 Member

Well..if i'm thinking the same way as oldmate is...it isnt the actually pricing we talking about..now the pricing is good now and its about time..thank you telstra....but the problem we on about is if you were...say for example like me on the current 10GB wireless for 119.95 a month, currently on a contract (which i can change anytime anyway) and if i was a 'noob' and didnt check the bigpond website for plans changes and kept paying $119.95 for the next 24 months..and beyond..telstra would let me keep paying me that.

There would be no courtesy call like "hello customer..do you know that you can upgrade your current plan of 10GB for $119.95 to our new 12GB plan for $89.95 for free"

This is what we...well atleast i'm on about....i could gurantee you if i made no changes to my current plan I would still be paying $119.95 a month for only 10GB 5 years from now....and god knows how many time telstra would have changed their plans by then. They have done it to me before, and they still doing it.

18. millsy

millsy Member

I see your point, but that's the case with most ISP's too... We've been able to upgrade to a 100gb plan from a 30gb with netspace for a good 4 months but never were notified about it.
    It's not just a telstra thing :)

19. mshagg

mshagg Politburo

Pretty much standard practise for all ISPs, is it not?

20. Rusty X5

Rusty X5 Member

internode sent out emails and notices when their plans changed....one reason i dont want to leave them :(