Telstra finally competitive? 200GB ADSL2+ - $89.95

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by Spizz, Jul 23, 2010.

1. raX

raX Member

Not anymore, some part of the NBN deal means no 100mbit over their coax..

at least, i read that somewhere on whirlpool...

2. DiGiTaL MoNkEY

DiGiTaL MoNkEY Inverted Monkey

3. Punch Bunny

Punch Bunny Member

Well, even if that's the case, I'd still be happy at 30mbit for now as most transfers are bottlenecked further upstream anyway. I usually can only hit full speed from a BigPond mirror, and they recently ditched their BigPond Files mirroring service :(

4. OP
    OP
    Spizz

Spizz Member

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2010
  5. v81

v81 Member

There are a lot of people here pointing out that there are already plenty of good ADSL 2+ deals around.

Just keep in mind that not all of us are on an exchange where we can take advantage of those offers.

Been stuck on ADSL1 here for years, with ADSL 2 only existing in Telstra flavour which is beyond my financial reach.

Stupid how 1 product is separated into multiple price points.
    Isn't it about time someone bit the bullet and standardised down 1 or 2 types of connection (full spec ADSL2+ and full spec ADSL1) instead of the 256k, 512k, 1.5mbit, 8mbit and 20mbit.

6. athena

athena New Member

It's right...I am on the telstra 12G ADSL2+ plan, Just watched few movie online....now my internet speed is down to 64kb now....:Pirate:

7. Foos

Foos Member

check out the iPrimus ones - They have 3 types (all 2+)

ADSL2+ (their network)
    ADSL2+ Zone 1
    ADSL2+ Zone 2

and give you 8000 or 1500 if ADSL2+ Not available from Telstra wholesale.

Been out for a while now

http://www.iprimus.com.au/PrimusWeb/HomeSolutions/BroadbandInternet/

8. rush

rush Member

These plans are incredibly different from what we are all used to from Telstra. Apparently their big change in management were sincere about the need to improve management.

Howard really fucked us all over with his Telstra antics, and hiring Ziggy (bad) then Sol (unbelievably bad) was incomprehensibly stupid.
    After those years, which surely must rank as the worst in telecommunications history, we are finally making some progress again.

I am getting cable installed today. I would never have imagined it would be possible to consider going with bigpond.

9. Vladdo

Vladdo Member

Big Kahuna (Zone 2) 300GB (80GB peak + 220GB offpeak) 12pm-12am $149.95

I can't afford $150/mth...

10. BMan2

BMan2 Member

I reckon there's maybe 5% or less of people that use 200gb of download here that think that uploads matter because they do something that's NOT sitting on bt/filesharing all day.

If you've gotta leech the internet for 200gb a month, there's a hundred better ways to do it that don't involve you ratio'ing 1:1 on bt.

11. mr_mordred2095

mr_mordred2095 Member

My GF and I often see 150GB+ per month just from downloading movies and TV shows etc, along with daily usage from gaming. Don't get me wrong, i could find lots of ways to leech 400GB+ per month, but even 100GB these days is achievable with barely trying.

12. BMan2

BMan2 Member

I only download about 4-5 tv shows a week + an hour or so of gaming a night + constant surfing + uploads for my photo business. I'd be lucky to break 10gb. Now I'm using a legit 360 - my downloads have mysteriously dropped :p

13. PureFire

PureFire Member

If youre a gamer who likes to download from steam, even 200gb doesnt go very far. Some games these days are 25gb!

With the recent steam sale, I have an armload of games I cant play yet because I have no quota for them.

14. v81

v81 Member

Still out of my price range unfortunately.
    For the data allowance i'm after there is about a $20 - $40 premium for Telstra adsl2+ based services over those that offer services on their own DSLAMS.

15. th3_hawk

th3_hawk Member

I'm tempted, with a big but.

I'm currently with Exetel, which is Optus served which I moved to from Optus because they were cheaper and gave more allowance.

The only downside is that the distance from the exchange means that even the neighbours Telstra connection (and my Exetel connection) top out at about 250kb/s.... which as it turns out doesn't allow for live video streaming from lots of sources ... and half the PS3 downloads seem to fail for no apparent reason :(

Bottom line, unless you have very specific slow down caused by your carrier's equipment or their load, changing providers won't help you.

16. Foos

Foos Member

heh steam is unmetered with iprimus (and internode and I think a few others ;)

i did 40gb of steam unmetred last month :D

17. martino

martino Member

Telstra HFC network went live with DOCSIS 3.0 (100mbps) Dec last year.

You need a different modem and the right plan for it.

18. AussiePokerGod

AussiePokerGod (Banned or Deleted)

because of this thread i decided to get off my but and finally move to adsl2+

found the iprimus deals and the big kahuna looks awesome, 12hrs of offpeak time and 220gb and another 80gb for peak.

perfect, just have to upgrade my modem now :(

19. Punch Bunny

Punch Bunny Member

Ah yes, right you are. I went digging through Telstra's website (not fun when you are capped at 64k) and it seems the 100mbps cable is only available in bundles with T-Box - I cannot switch my regular BigPond Cable account to 100mbps. Oh well, I think I'd prefer greater transfer allowance to outright performance right now.

20. Hive

Hive Member

So correct me if i'm wrong, but i am currently on Bigpond ADSL (1500K)

Tonight or whenever when the month switches over will i be running at the new 8mbit?