1. Win some Team Group goodies in OCAU's latest contest!
    Dismiss Notice

Telstra finally competitive? 200GB ADSL2+ - $89.95

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by Spizz, Jul 23, 2010.

1. Akh-Horus

Akh-Horus Member

I'm lucky - only 387m from the exchange, moved from Exetel 1500 to Telstra ADSL2 and WOOT quite happy.

2. r8response

r8response Member

Its all rumors at the momment. I wouldn't take anything for granted

3. bb7_rider

bb7_rider Member

Same thing with me but with their mobile network, but 3 weeks ago I transferred from three to Telstra! They are really getting their acts together in a big way and it's an amazing thing to see.

4. rush

rush Member

I spoke too soon.

Although they told me that they would install it today, apparently they booked me in for Monday when I am working. Yay.

So.... another 2 weeks and we will try again.

Now Telstra may have a good product with the cable internet. They may be getting better with their pricing. But it looks like their customer service capability is still the worst experience in Australia.

:rolleyes:

5. OP
    OP
    Spizz

Spizz Member

There here (well if your an existing member you can access them now via MyBigPond) :D

Uploads counted :(

Though with the increase in data your set i.e (ADSL2+ with Telstra was 25GB for $89.95, now 200GB with them for $89.95) :)

Last edited: Jul 25, 2010
  6. LostBenji

LostBenji Member

Yup, single point download stream which is easy to be traced by CopyRight hunting arseholes compared to P2P that is basicly untraceable (assuming private tracker). Having to pay for any decent newsgroup services then add to the overall costs.
    Additional costs and still having to deal with off-site systems when something goes wrong or your seedbox is shutdown.
    Oh rub it in arsehole. LOL
    Would be nice to be that close.

7. raX

raX Member

interesting.

be nice to see the backlash from other isps over it soon

8. Rusty X5

Rusty X5 Member

9. raX

raX Member

We've done well over a PB out from this specific box, it's the the third one we've had from this datacentre.

They have no reason to shut seedboxes down, because if they do, they lose over 80% of their business.

e: not to mention, any number of ways to download content directly from said server, which is what we do, thus dropping the overhead even further on downloads (less connections, less overhead)

oh, and it appears that the exetel user on the server only actually gets 30% of his transfers counted, =P

Last edited: Jul 25, 2010
  10. OP
    OP
    Spizz

Spizz Member

True, though with Internode, Adam etc. (that have their own DSLAMs) I will be amazed if they do not either match or beat that plan on their own equipment.

Well they are now listed here showing the discounts with bundling etc-

http://go.bigpond.com/broadband/index.jsp

and the 200GB plan-

http://go.bigpond.com/broadband/69-plan/

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2010
  11. LostBenji

LostBenji Member

If you're lucky enough to have access to one, they are very few in numbers.

Care to send me some details via PM please rather than fouling up this thread.

12. Hive

Hive Member

Just switched from 99$ a month 1.5Mbit 50GB to 200GB ADSL2 for 89$ a month

MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHHAHAHHAHAHAHABHAHAHAHAAHHAHAHHHAHAHAHAHHA

EVVVVVVVVILLLLL

13. dainese

dainese Member

yep, pro rata calculations.

only in melbourne though! :upset:

14. Hive

Hive Member

Holy crap, i changed over 20 minutes ago and the ADSL2's kicked in allready

15. raX

raX Member

speed change in 20 minutes...lucky son of a bitch....

16. Punch Bunny

Punch Bunny Member

I have an outstanding change of plan request from a few days ago that still hasn't kicked in (it tells me it won't come into effect until midnight AFTER I have selected the plan (no indication of time frame prior), and then it still doesn't change anyway and I'm locked from making any further changes until next billing cycle), so I can't select the new 200GB plan and the Accounts and Billings department don't seem to be open until tomorrow (at least, that's what the nice Filipino lady from BigPond technical support just told me). The plan my outstanding change is trying to select doesn't even exist anymore, and costs more than the new 200GB plan. I hope I can somehow abort it and select a new plan before the next billing cycle.

TL;DR : nice plans, but still need to fix customer satisfaction issues!

17. Las_Vegas

Las_Vegas Member

what speeds were you getting and what speeds are you getting now?

18. BuuBox

BuuBox Member

Their customer support is fine IMO, it's just that they seem to have their hands tied by the inadequate systems.

19. Punch Bunny

Punch Bunny Member

I entirely agree with what you say, but ultimately when you view the entity as a whole the end-user experience is less than ideal. It's frustrating to see support people doing what they can to work around the system in order to satisfy a customer's needs. When I moved house last year I had an extremely helpful lady who worked her arse off trying to reconnect my services to the new house. It took about 45 mins in total with the system she was using crashing or giving incorrect information. I spoke to her manager afterwards in order to commend her efforts and ask why they were hamstrung by such inadequate systems and procedures.

But anyway, I don't want to end up Telstra bashing. The plans look great and hopefully this means a better deal for everybody as I guess other ISPs will have to sharpen their pencils in order to stay good value.

20. BuuBox

BuuBox Member

It must be a very frustrating place to work!