Telstra Issues

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by DSTM (Dougie), Jul 28, 2018.

1. DSTM (Dougie)

DSTM (Dougie) Member

I have a Telstra Cable Modem, which is overheating, emitting fumes.
    Rang them at 4.30am this morning. Spent an hour on the phone.
    They gave me instructions to go to a Telstra Store, quote Call Record Number and pick up a replacement.
    WRONG WRONG WRONG. Telstra Stores don't carry Telstra modems.
    Just wasted 2 hrs in heavy traffic and finding a parking spot in a busy Shopping centre.
    I am so pissed off.
    The store told me I would have to ring Telstra again, which just took me another 30 mins.
    Told me they would send one out by Startrack courier.Here is the good part(as if) I live in western Sydney and for Telstra to send out a replacement will take 3-5 working days. ARE THEY FOR REAL?
    I took the modem out in the shed just now and blew the dust out of it and hooked up a computer 120mm fan to the Modem.I expected 1 day maximum. Then was asked at the end of the call to rate service 1-10 get real.One very unhappy Telstra customer. I left out all the swear words.

2. Madengineer

Madengineer Member

Nice #everydayrant bro!

Also, if you were going to drive 2 hours for something, would common sense not tell you to call ahead of time to make sure they even had one in stock?

Or here's an idea... If you don't want to deal with Telstra POS hardware, go buy a decent one yourself?

3. OP
    OP
    DSTM (Dougie)

DSTM (Dougie) Member

The guy said every Telstra store have these cable modems, but in hindsight I should have rang first, as you say.
    I thought being 3 telstra Stores withing driving distance, if one store didn't have one, I would go to another store.
    Yes took 2hrs as Penrith at midday Saturday is nearly gridlock.The traffic was bumper to bumper.Included in that 2 hrs was waiting in line for 30mins, to get served.

I don't think you can use another Modem as they are supplied in the contract, and any problems ring them.
    Even when you do get one from them,then it has to be activated online, by Telstra.

4. OP
    OP
    DSTM (Dougie)

DSTM (Dougie) Member

Just read this on the Telstra Forum.
    " For Cable service, BYO modems will not work, only Telstra supplied modems as the address of the modem needs to be registered first in the system and associate to your account to make it work"
    They really have you by the balls.

5. Axe

Axe Member

Pretty sure the modem MAC address is your indentifier on the network

6. caspian

caspian Member

that's been the case forever. you've never been able to use an aftermarket modem on Telstra cable.

wow, expectations much? it's a consumer grade service and they are already sending it via courier.

7. guy.incogneto

guy.incogneto Member

Telstra have sent me 5 modems over the years. Various issues with each.
    They've never told me I can pick one up from a store.

Good thing is I kept getting the newer models each time.

8. BuuBox

BuuBox Member

Not being given the run around for a simple hardware fault is hardly a high expectation.

9. caspian

caspian Member

I agree he got misinformed (that's what happens when companies don't employ competent support) but his expectations are still well out of line with what he's paying for.

10. OP
    OP
    DSTM (Dougie)

DSTM (Dougie) Member

Thanks for he replies,Guys.
    I shouldn't have been told that I could pick one up at a store.
    This one I can use for 5mins before I have to pull the power wire due to fumes.
    Better than no internet at all.
    My Wife and I start to climb walls without the internet.
    The last person from Telstra said, I shouldn't have been told that.

I first rang at 4.30am, the lady support sounded I had woken her up.
    After giving the required details, she said one second till I bring up your account.
    15 mins later she didn't come back. Bet she went back to sleep.
    Had to ring again and got this Guy who advised me wrong.
    The third support person later that afternoon organized to send one.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2018
  11. cvidler

cvidler Member

yes, if you want 4hr or 24hr SLA's on hardware you need to pay for a business service with SLAs (and sit down when they tell you the price), for home users you get 'best effort' (which is lawyer speak for, we'll help you but in our own time).

12. BuuBox

BuuBox Member

I am sympathetic. Recently had to get a faulty Frontier modem replaced.

The process was ridiculous. Multiple phone calls, also told erroneously to go into a store (note you can't call them directly to check).

Took a month. To top it off, replacement had wrong name and address on it. Got it by blind luck only. No shipping confirmation or tracking provided either.

Telstra are heading in one direction, and it ain't up.

13. miicah

miicah Member

Ask them for a refund on your mobile bill for the 5 days you have to use that as your main internet (assuming it's with T). That's basically the best you will get out of this situation.

14. Hive

Hive Member

Recently was given the honor of transitioning 5 figures worth of monthly office 365 licensing away from telstra marketplace over to a more competent MS CSP.

It took forever but i enjoyed every single minute, because fuck you telstra.

Bertross likes this.
  15. Supplanter

Supplanter Member

No they don't, cancel the service, find another ISP. Chances are they'll offer you a better deal when you try and cancel.

16. caspian

caspian Member

he has cable. Telstra don't wholesale it.

present the balls for gripping.

17. supasaiyan

supasaiyan Member

this is a PSA.. if anyone has a Telstra issue, send me a PM with the details (username, mobile number, whatever) and I'll follow it up for you

18. Annihilator69

Annihilator69 Member

I've had issues with the Telstra Cable Modems, (with many sites). The supplied Gateway Max or whatever becomes overloaded and runs really hot and locks up often. Probably runs out of memory/NAT table also.
    I find disabling every service known to man (USB/Wifi/NAT/uPNP/Firewall etc) and putting them in bridge mode and then using your own router. (DHCP on WAN interface, you get the WAN IP direct on your WAN interface of your router so it works perfectly)
    The Cable Modems end up being really reliable when just being a modem, and you BYO router.

sir_bazz, v81 and Hive like this.
  19. OP
    OP
    DSTM (Dougie)

DSTM (Dougie) Member

This nightmare is over, and up and running again. From the very beginning was advised wrong,(Go to Telstra shop and pick one up).Finally arrived and dumped at my front door.Why in this day and age,I had to wait so many days.The replacement they sent is separate Modem/router. Telstra's support from India,(some hard to understand) or where ever, told me wrong,as I couldn't activate this replacement.Telstra support said the one they sent is probably not compatable. Eventually after ringing support 4 times I found out, after all this I have to wait 2-24hrs more before Telstra would activate. Anyways after 6 hrs they accepted my correct details and came on line. Speed is only half what I had before,but not ringing support up again.
    Why in the hell can't Telstra have a central wharehouse in Sydney, with 5 Mil + People, I will never know.
    Had to be sent from Prestons in Vic.
    I rang Telstra and had an online chat, giving them a piece of my mind over the wrong information from a number of support.They are not trained correctly.He was quite understanding and said he would offer me another plan, to keep me happy with Telstra.
    I was paying $140-$150 a month for a package.(Not a yapper on phones) He offered me another plan for $79 + unlimited calls Landline, mobile Aus wide for $10 more, and upped my data to 1000 Gigs a month.
    Don't need 1000 Gigs a month but this new contract I accepted and he fixed it all up there and then. So I am getting more for round $50 a month less.Only beef I have is it came in two parts.The router is huge and no stand to keep it upright. I got a piece of board, cable tied both to the board and stuck it under my desk.

[​IMG]

Thanks for reading my rant.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2018
  20. supasaiyan

supasaiyan Member